“Beautiful room, just not as clean as hoped.....” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 22 hotels in Kalispell
Liberty Lake, Washington
“Beautiful room, just not as clean as hoped.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My son and I came for a day trip to Glacier Park, and looked forward to the cozy room to relax after a busy day. The front desk person was great, very friendly and courteous. She explained the hotels features very quickly though and we had to call down later to get information.

The bathroom was dirty. The floor was not cleaned, nor was the mirror on the back of the bathroom door. The showerhead was nice, but there isn't enough water pressure to really enjoy the capabilities of such a fancy showerhead.

The hallways are bleak and white and reminiscent of a hospital, or nursing home, and kinda spooky late at night.

Breakfast, which we were told was served until 10 AM, was being cleaned up at 9:30, so we ate cold cereal and yogurt, as that was all that remained. I was a bit concerned about the quantity of flies in the breakfast area, but I assume that is from propping the lobby doors open. The breakfast attendant was nice enough, but didn't offer any consolation for no breakfast.

All in all, I would give them another try, the rate was good, and the room was beautiful and well appointed, just not very well cleaned. I don't know what the mix up was with breakfast, Ill just make alternate plans for breakfast next time. I think with a more effective housekeeping staff, it would be a fine hotel.

Room Tip: Double check breakfast hours, and get there early.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
999DianeA, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Big Sky, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We have addressed the issues regarding housekeeping and have since changed out the bedding and replaced hallway carpets. We have standard breakfast hours and I'm not sure why you were informed breakfast ran through 10 am. The Front Desk Associates have all been retrained as to what breakfast hours are so we shouldn't have that problem again. We hope to see you again in the near future. Thanks again.

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sandy, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Guess what I paid for an Econolodge with a Comfort Inn sign? Over $150! My room was not ready until an hour after check in and the manager seemed to care less. I asked if they were sold out the night before and was told no. Now for the room! It needed updating. The TV is in a console so unless you're sitting right in front of it, you can't watch TV. That was OK only because the upholstered chair was filthy. One of the light bulbs was burned out and the coffee pot had the filter grounds left in the brewer. So......as a person who stays at many Comfort Inns, this one ranks as one of the poorest. I didn't want to chance breakfast, so I can't comment. The outside is ugly and the parking in the back is poorly lit. Access by car to the back of the hotel is also narrow and poor. For the price, I expected much more.l

Room Tip: No elevator to the top floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
I'm sorry your experience at our hotel was poor. There have been a number of improvements since your staying including new bedding, new hallway carpet, and additional lights for back parking lot. This is an older building; however, the interior is complete with the latest Comfort upgrades. We've addressed the housekeeping issues and know guests will find an improved and attentive staff. Don't write us off just yet, I believe you'll find the improvements to your liking. Thank you for your comments.
Ann Arbor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We knew going in that hotels in Kalispell are very high priced, but hoped for more of our money's worth than we got. I had reserved a room with a patio, knowing the hotel had no elevator, but when we arrived around 3:00 pm we were told no first floor rooms were left,and we were given a room with a balcony instead. The room had not yet been cleaned, though the cleaning staff were in the hallway and said they could start on it next. Also, it smelled heavily of smoke, and there was an ashtray on the balcony. Went back to the desk and waited in line (there was only one person on duty there) to be again told there were no first floor rooms and the hotel was totally booked up. She also said that smoking is allowed on the balconies and sometimes the smell gets into the room. She switched us to a balcony room two doors down, which had already been cleaned and did not smell like smoke. We hauled our luggage upstairs for our 2-night stay.

Other issues: The fan in the bathroom was extremely loud, and the AC went into periodic spurts of sudden loud noise. ( I reported these on checkout and the staff member noted them down.) Also, when I returned to my room at about 10:30 am on the day we were leaving, my key card did not work. At the desk I was told that they had already cancelled the previous day's cards (though checkout was not until noon). The staff member actually seemed annoyed that she had to redo my card.

This was the most expensive hotel of our 3-week trip, and definitely the worst one.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms with balconies and patios, since smokers are allowed to stand outside with the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We took your comments and made some changes. Although it's difficult to stop someone from stepping out on the balcony to smoke, we've have implemented a no smoking policy on balconies. I'm sorry you had to wait for a clean room. We try our best to accommodate guests with the location of room requested; however, first floor rooms are a standard request especially because there is no elevator. Housekeeping has been addressed and we've installed new bedding and replaced hallway carpets. I do hope you will consider giving us another chance upon your next visit to the area. Thank you for your comments.
Anacortes, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Wow. I have never stayed at a Comfort Inn that looked like this one. At least not in the last 25 years.
For $170/night (and that was the discounted military rate), I expected A LOT better. It is severely outdated and doesn't hold a candle to a Motel 6. It's attached to a casino and attracts an interesting crowd, to say the least. Parking lot was not well-lit and did not feel safe.

The common spaces: Outdated overall, dirty carpet and stairs (lots of stains, needed vacuuming).

The room: Still using the old style comforters (gross!) instead of fresh duvets. Wallpaper was bubbled & peeling around AC unit (can only imagine the mold/mildew that must be back there). Bathroom was clean and actually looks like it's been re-done this century (only part of the hotel not straight out of the 70s). But...shower/faucet mechanism didn't work well and the water would not get very hot.

The staff: night desk clerk was not very pleasant, but the woman there in the morning and the breakfast attendant were both sweet.

Overall very disappointed in this hotel. We had to get a room last minute and this was the only hotel in town (in what we thought was a mid-range hotel) in Kalispell that wasn't full. Now I know why.
Look elsewhere unless you ABSOLUTELY have NO other options. This room should have cost no more than $55 for what it offered.

• Stayed August 2013
999DianeA, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Big Sky, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
I appreciate your comments and have taken each issue you pointed out and addressed the appropriate departments. Our building is dated; however, the interior has been remodeled to Choice standards including the lobby and rooms. Our latest upgrade includes implementing the new bedding package as of January 1, 2014. I'm sorry you feel that our hotel is less value than a Motel 6 which offers no amenities including in-room kleenex or a breakfast. Our breakfast buffet offers 2 types of waffles, eggs, sausage/gravy/biscuitts, cereal, bagels, muffins, fruit, juice/coffee and more. It's unfortunate you traveled during a peak rate season and even then you can expect our rates to be below those of most mid-scale properties in this area.
brentwood
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had reservations and it was late or we wouldn't have stayed. We couldn't tell where the entrance to the hotel was. It was attached to a casino that didn't look like it was family friendly.
The parking lot was filled with big pick up trucks that I assume were at the casino. The parking lot was dark, lots of unkept landscaping, and did not seem safe. Our reservation was not correct and the room they had us booked in was not available but the desk clerk was quick to find us another room. There is no elevator in the hotel. We had to drag suitcases upstairs in the middle of the night. Saturday morning the breakfast bar closed at 9:00 a.m. and we didn't get any food. Staff person commented that she was tired of cooking. I think she was trying to be funny but we still got no food. I noticed that there was a sign that said the pool was closed for repairs. We were supposed to pay for the room with rewards points but that was messed up to and we were charged $236.33 for the room. The room was clean but all in all the hotel is very dated and the parking lot is scarey after dark. It is not a value. There is a Hampton Inn nearby that looked so much better, cleaner and safer. We also stayed at the LaQuinta in Kalispel. It was in kind of a strange location but it was a much nicer hotel and cost only $160.00.

Room Tip: Get up super early for breakfast. Stay of first floor because no elevator. Arrive before dark, ver...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and I'm very sorry that stay was disappointing. It is unfortunate that the pool was down and that you were not notified of the breakfast hours. I'll make sure that staff is more accommodating and flexible when it comes to breakfast break down. We've added outdoor lights on the backside of the building and will make sure maintenance replaces bulbs in a timely manner throughout the parking area. Thank you again or your comments.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Although the rooms are clean and marked as no smoking the halls and the room we had was smelled strongly of smoke. It was a cool evening so we were able to keep the window open for fresh air. We thought the price was very high for the quality of the inn.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. Yes, we are 100% smoke free and we do our best at monitoring our guests to see that they abide by the rules. Sounds like we may have had a rule breaker during your stay and I do apologize. Unfortunately rates are high during our peak summer season; however, we boast rates under at least 3 of our closest competitors. I'm glad your rooms was clean and comfortable and I sincerely hope you stay with us during your next visit to our area. Thank you again.
Bemidji
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We spent one night here. The breakfast was a bit bland and the selections were less than great. The bathroom had a red pill sitting in a small pile of dust the corner. Obviously it had been there for sometime until I mentioned it to the check-out person. I would stay there again if every place else was full.

Room Tip: I have no tips
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. We continue to upgrade and change our breakfast according to the feedback we receive from our guests. We've taken your comments to heart and have made changes and improvements accordingly. I hope you give us another chance of providing a relaxing, comfortable and clean stay that the whole family can enjoy. Thank you again for your comments.

Been to Comfort Inn Big Sky? Share your experiences!