“Luxury, luxury, everywhere” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lankanfushi
Haverford, Pennsylvania
“Luxury, luxury, everywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Our honeymoon at the Gili Lankanfushi was... even better than we expected. So what sets this apart from the luxury resorts everywhere in the Maldives? My wife called it understated luxury. They have truly surrounded you with every comfort, yet nothing is obtrusive or annoying. We like resorts that pay attention to environmentally friendly practices, and they have this in drones. Reusable dispensers for the toiletries, bags for taking home plastic waste, bikes to get around, sustainable building materials in the villas, and reusable bottles for water. There are only 30-something units for the property, so you feel like you have the place to yourself all the time. There's never a rush to the pool, we played tennis whenever we wanted, and the staff treats you as if you're the only one there. Our Mr. Friday (Fathuhy) was superb. Professional, attentive to details, and responsive. Few other things we especially loved- the 2nd floor of our villa suite which they set up as a bedroom to sleep under the stars, the constant parade of delectable delights at the pool (thanks Aunu), the palpable excitement of the staff to help and teach (thanks Nicholas), and our couples massage was easily the most impressive overall spa experience we've ever had. We also liked that Lankanfushi is only 15 minutes away from Male by boat. Some people want the seaplane experience, but coming from the US, another flight was just not what we wanted. And a note about the food- there are 3 separate restaurants, and the diversity of food was impressive. We are self-anointed foodies, and even the though the food is pricey, it's darn good. Honestly, there are a plethora of wonderful resorts in the Maldives, but this truly stands apart in environmentally sound practices, quiet understated luxury, and the nicest, happiest staff you could meet. Thanks for a perfect honeymoon.

Room Tip: We were in Villa 23, which we loved because our sun deck had sun all day long. If you'd like a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IainMccormack, General Manager at Gili Lankanfushi Maldives, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Emperor175,

Thank you very much for this outstanding review. We always strive to exceed guests expectation and I am happy to read that we have been successful in doing so. I have shared your great review with all our hosts and we look forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary (If not earlier!).

Kind regards, Iain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Having visited many islands in the Maldives, I would consider this the best in terms of accommodation, service, privacy and beauty.The lagoon does not offer the same snorkelling experience as do some other islands in the Maldives, nevertheless, it is the perfect depth to enjoy Nature's largest saline swimming pool. The bungalows are beautiful and equipped with Bose Lifestyle Systems. We went with some of our favourite music. One of the albums we constantly played was a compilation of songs by Israel kamakawivo. The resort is expensive and transportation costs are a tad high as well, but it is truly paradise on water.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
IainMccormack, General Manager at Gili Lankanfushi Maldives, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear ElenaSanches,

Thank you for posting review on trip advisor. I am pleased to read that you liked our accommodation and service. I look forward to welcoming you back to Gili Lankanfushi soon!

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

As many reviewers have stated in these pages, my wife and I couldn't believe the sights that met us when we reached here last week. Everything just seemed picture perfect...the views, the villas, the beaches and the service. No, no hidden catches that sprung up...the only surprise was that there was no catch! 22 years of traveling and several luxury resorts later, I have to admit this definitely was the best experience I have ever had. The concepts of no footwear, the cycles to move around, the amazing Ghasim (our Mr Friday), and the extremely friendly and helpful staff...if there has to be a honeymoon experience, I cannot imagine how it could get any better! Tons of activities too, lined up by the management...but even if it means a day spent on the deck of the water villa just gazing at the sea, it has no equal.

Room Tip: Get the water villas. Absolutely gorgeous.
Dear Sxa93,

Thank you very much for posting such a wonderful review on Gili Lankanfushi. I am pleased to know that you liked the resort, activities, concept and services by the hosts. I look forward to welcoming you back to the island with your wife soon!

Kind regards,Iain
Paddington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

If you're after an idyllic island getaway Gili Lankanfushi will fit the bill. Only 20 mins by speedboat from Male, we were surprised with all aspects of our Holiday. From the outstanding breakfast buffet, 'No Shoes, no news' mentality, quality gym, exceptional & spacious rooms & impeccable service - this place ticks all the boxes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SusieM82,

I am happy to read that we managed to exceed all your expectation and you liked our services and facilities. Thank you posting the review on tripadvisor and I look forward to welcoming you back to Gili Lankanfushi for another wonderful vacation!

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is an amazing place and perfect for honeymoon, the Gili experience starts from the time you land at MALE airport, picked up by a Speed Boat and viola you arrive near Gili and see water bunglows that you are only are imagining looking at the pictures. Guys they are as perfect as you see.

Ian and our mr friday ( in our case was Mr Ateef ) met us at the boat dock and walked us to waiting golf cart. Our checkin was done in the bunglow #19 and I think that row on the traingular jetty is the best unobstructed views. Mr Ateef offered Crusoe and Residence on other jetties due to some noise in the next bunglow due to rennovation and we declined picking up an upgrade ( BTW thanks Mr Ateef ). We met so many people and made so many friends. Our waiter Ashfaq, Abdullah and Faiz were always welcoming. I will specially like to recognize Mukesh and Mutthu, Mutthu you make best Indian Masala Tea (Bombay tea), and David as we discussed, please consider adding this to your menu. Mukesh you are ever so welcoming and we really appreciate you taking effort to call Mutthu on his off time when we wanted the same Bombay tea, we really appreciate it and were touched by your and Mutthu's genrosity as well going above and beyond. We tried many wines, though expensive but were carefully selected, Rohan always helped us with a selection. Thank you very much.

So many people to thank and finally will like to appreciate entire Gili team ( David, Prasanna, Chef Abu, Chef Nicolas and others we did not meet but were working behind ) for arranging many romantic dinners and making everything so special and wonderful.

One request though, please consider making portion size of food smaller as we were not able to finish it many times and felt quite guilty of wasting food when so many people in this world go hungry.

Room Tip: Villa #17 to Villa #22 are the best.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IainMccormack, General Manager at Gili Lankanfushi Maldives, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear JasonB,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review, recognizing the team and your amazing experience here. I have shared this with our team. This really does encourage our team when they are recognized this way by our guests. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for longer stay! Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of assistance.

Kind Regards. Iain
Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Gili Lankanfushi is such a wonderful place. It is kind of difficult to explain it in any other way because everything about Gili Lankanfushi is just perfect. I feel very, very lucky because I have been there twice (so far!) - first in 2007 (Soneva Gili) and latest in July 2012. Both times it felt like I had found a little piece of paradise on earth. The nature was unbelievably beautiful and everything about Gili Lankanfushi made me feel relaxed and comfortable.

Of all the wonderful things at Gili Lankanfushi I would like to point out the outstanding staff. All the employees I meet without any exception were very friendly and they all did everything possible to make me and my family comfortable. At the end of our trip I considered a lot of them as my friends and today I miss them a lot. Especially Atheef who was our mr. friday (he really did a great job taking care of us), Adham from the main restaurant and Fayaz (I believe that was his name) from the overwater bar where we ate our lunch every day (by the way, I had this very delicious wok course almost every day which I can strongly recommend). I remember an evening where I was particularly amazed. My dad, sister and I had each ordered one scoop of ice cream for dessert but when Adham came back with the ice cream, he had brought one extra scoop for my mom even though she hadn't asked for it. The extra scoop was coconut flavour which was his personal favourite and which also became my new favourite that evening. It was very sweet of him.

I also enjoyed talking to the head waiter (i'm not quite sure of his title but I believe he was some sort of head waiter) whose name I unfortunately have forgotten and also to a chef from Sri Lanka who remembered us from our previous visit five years earlier. Very impressive I must say. We also meet a very friendly and always smiling chef, Phi. Also the marine biologist, Vaidas, was a really great guy. One evening he held a lecture about the coral reef which I found very, very, very interesting and some days later my dad and I went snorkeling with him where we counted fish which definitely also was a good experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IainMccormack, General Manager at Gili Lankanfushi Maldives, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Helene_Dalsten,

Thank you very much for posting such a wonderful review. I am delighted to read that you and your family had a great time with us. I have shared your comments with our hosts mentioned on the review and they were happy to read it too. This really does encourage our team when they are recognized this way by our guests. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of assistance.

Kind Regards. Iain
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Context: My husband and I went to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary & baby moon for 7 nights. We stayed in villa 42.

Room: Simply put the room was fantastic and you really feel like you get value for money. The villa is spacious and there are so many options to chill out. The bathroom was unbelievably huge! Room 42 and other rooms facing that direction have the best view - one palm island and the vast ocean beyond. That section of the lagoon is also completely pristine and breathtaking.

Service: Duncan, Prasanna and Rasheed took fantastic care of us, always checking in to see if they could do something more. The chocolate and wine tasting done just for us was very memorable.

Food: Over 7 days it's hard not to get a little bored of the food, but the resort offers a great set of options. The breakfast and buffet dinners were particularly awesome as was sitting out in the overwater restaurant for cocktails and snacks.

Activities: We decided to take it quite easy and focused mostly on the spa and snorkeling. We highly recommend the snorkeling which was tons of fun and quite reasonable - we went twice. The dolphin cruise was quite cool as well. The Spa was terrific - we loved the glass window in the floor that let us see the fish during the massage.

Overall we are very glad we picked the resort to celebrate two milestone for us. We could have stayed longer but for most people we would recommend going for fewer days or splitting between two resorts.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
IainMccormack, General Manager at Gili Lankanfushi Maldives, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Skd1305,

Thank you for posting such a fantastic review highlighting all our services, room, food and hosts. It gives me a great pleasure to read reviews appreciating what we do on the island. I look forward to welcoming you back to the island for your 6th anniversary (if not earlier!)

Kind regards, Iain

Been to Gili Lankanfushi Maldives? Share your experiences!