“Still the best bet in downtown Helena” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Helena
Calgary, Canada
“Still the best bet in downtown Helena”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn in downtown Helena twice, and would definitely recommend it. It is so nice to be in a vibrant and interesting downtown, with great restaurants to choose from within easy walking distance. The rooms are good and reasonably quiet. The breakfast room is rather dark and uninviting, but the food was good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Hikermeister,

Thank you for another great review! We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to your return in the future. I would like to recommend that you try the seating in our sports bar, where the light comes through the surrounding windows. It is much more vibrant than the dining in our vino bar area. A lot of our guests tend to think that the vino bar is the only place to eat breakfast which is not the case at all and we actually encourage our guest to sit in the sports bar because of the atmosphere it provides. Thank you once again for your patronage and all of your support! Until next time "Safe travels to you and yours".

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Wenatchee, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We really checked the reviews before choosing a hotel. The negative comments seemed insignifcant to us & we're glad we chose this one. It's a lovely older Holiday Inn that has been beautifully maintained. It has a sports bar/restaurant (called the Quarry) with excellent food & very attentive staff. We enjoyed the outdoor seating area for dinner. Our room was very attractive, very clean & had a partial view of downtown walking mall area. Bed was so comfortable that I'd wake up thinking I was at home! Front desk staff was very courteous, friendly & helpful. The price was just a bit less than other hotels in the area of similar quality so that was a plus. We noticed that even though they don't provide a free breakfast, the cost of the room offsets that when compared to the higher priced hotels with the free breakfast. We had a wonderful stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Margaret2009,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We greatly appreciate you giving us a try aside from the negative reviews we've received in the past. We do our very best to fulfill all our guest's request and expectations and we are very happy to hear we've met yours. If you ever have the opportunity to stay again we'd love to be your home away from home. Thank you once again for sharing your experience and until next time safe travels!

Hythe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Has to be in one of the best locations in downtown Helena, the front doors open right onto the pedestrianized main street and the rear doors are right next to the car park which makes it really easy to unload. Parking is free, they give you a display pass on check in. I received a very good welcome on checking in, all documents printed and all I had to do was sign and take the elevator. The front desk staff even knew I had stayed before and were very welcoming.

I was given a room on the 7th floor and whilst a really great room it suffered from external noise from a motor of some kind which kept me awake and was intrusive which was a shame as the room was seriously good. I asked to be moved the following morning and I was given a 6th floor room which was very quiet and very comfortable. The staff were super helpful on this.

Beds are great, on night two I got one of the best sleeps I have had, the showers are good and everything else works as it should. Very clean and cared for.

The Quarry Bar is very good, busy with a good feel to it, excellent attentive staff and the food very good. I enjoyed it here over two nights.

Leaving the room noise to one side on night one, this is a good hotel with friendly helpful and welcoming staff. Thanks guys.

Room Tip: 6th floor rooms are quiet, 7th floor rooms suffered external noise when I was there, but I reckon th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
John D,

Thank you for you review Sir! You and your family member were a pleasure to have in house. From all of us here at the Holiday Inn Downtown Helena and The Quarry Bar & Grille we wish you the very best in your travels and we hope to see you again one day!

Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

How To Make A Hotel Customer Unhappy:

1. Send me up to my room, only to have to carry my bags back down because the key lock turns green, but doesn't open.

2. Tell me, "Oh, you have to pull the door handle up, not push it down. Sorry we forgot to tell you that." Yeah, you are different from every other hotel lock in the world and you forgot to tell me that.

3. Give me a coupon for a free well drink but don't let me use that for a discount on a premium drink. EVERY other hotel in your brand will just give me a discount off the premium price, but you only gift me cheap booze.

4. When I came back to my room later on and the key card doesn't work in either direction, I had this conversation at the front desk.

Me: "My key card doesn't work. I'm in room ###"
Hotel: "That's because we gave another card to your roommate."
Me: "I don't have a roommate."
Hotel: "Oops, let me re-write your card."

So they didn't give the card to someone else, but it was a disturbing conversation.

I only stay here because of the location downtown.

The rooms are fine, there were re-done about five years ago. They sometimes have better service.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor. The rooms facing nice have the best views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
ITravelMontana,

Thank you for sharing your concerns so we may improve our service.

Our hotel locks from time to time lose their catch inside the mechanisms when they are slammed shut repeatedly causing the door only to be opened by pulling up on the handle.
This is an issue we have been dealing with quite frequently. Unfortunately as things are used they wear down and break over time. We do resolve the issues as they are brought to our attention such as your door issue. When a guest comes down such as you did "green light with no entry" our agents are trained to advise guests to pull up and then the agent fills out a work order for our head of maintenance. We have reviewed the work order slips and there was not one filled out for your room until your stay date, so we truly don't understand why you were told "Sorry we forgot to tell you that" being that it was a new case. This is a training issue that we are improving on.

We only offer complimentary drinks for our Gold & Platinum IHG Rewards Club Members and the drink coupon is good for a choice of one house wine or well liquor as stated. Hotel management will be sure to discuss other options for the complimentary drink.

We apologize for the misunderstanding during your stay regarding your key issue. We have spoken to the agent who was on staff during your time of stay and she explained that she had you confused with another guest in house. As you had stated there was not a key issued to someone else for your room as security procedures were followed, although it was a disturbing conversation at the least. We have reviewed this very situation with her utilizing this review to help better her service skills when assisting guests in the future.

Thank you for your time put into your review and once again thank you for the insight so we may better serve you and others in the future!

Respectfully,
Holiday Inn Staff
Courtenay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great location while traveling and want a mid break through Montana! Clean rooms and friendly staff. Morning breakfast was food coming out of machines mostly, not my type of breakfast. Staff was fantastic and very helpful in every way to make your trip a pleasant one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
ddm2013,

Thank you for your review and thank you for the compliments. I am hoping this review is for us and not the Holiday Inn Express because of the breakfast comments. All of our food is prepared fresh and right on the grill in the kitchen from the moment your ticket goes through. We do have a microwave but it just collects dust "figuratively speaking". Please feel free to contact me here at the hotel if you have any questions regarding the breakfast or stay in general.
Thank you again and until next time safe travels!

West Richland, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Usually Holiday Inns are great, but this one was average at best. The room was clean, and the location of hotel is excellent (right in the center of the downtown area on Last Chance Gulch). We were able to walk pretty much everywhere we wanted to, including to Carroll College. Unfortunately, there was no breakfast included, and except for the woman that worked Sunday night, the reception staff was not terribly friendly. The hot tub was inexplicably closed on Labor Day Weekend, which was a disappointment. Finally, the housekeeping staff "cleaned" our room each day by giving us new towels and straightening the bed - that was it. We had to ask for additional shampoo, and also had to empty our own garbage. Again, not what I expected from a Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: We had a great view up the Gulch on the "odd"-numbered side of the hotel.
Darkicered,

Thank you for your review and I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed our location. I do apologize for the misunderstanding of our services provided when it comes to us being a full service Holiday Inn. We have a Bar & Grille so our guests may purchase food (Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner) and drink without having to travel far for meals or night time socialization.

I have addressed the issue you experienced with the reception staff as it is unacceptable to provide anything other than the friendliest of service to our guests. I also apologize for the hot tub being down during your stay, routine maintenance is a must at times to keep everyone safe and secure when using our facility. We do our very best to have one or the other available for our guests when it comes to scheduling our pool and spa maintenance. Unfortunately we had to replace our lighting electrical on the spa unexpectedly during your time of stay. I completely understand how you feel about the inconvenience but your safety is very important to us above anything else.

When it comes to the issues you encountered with our housekeeping department, if at any time you had your do not disturb sign on your door, you would not have received service and amenities would have been available upon request. Our housekeeping staff is very thorough although that does not mean it was not over looked by your housekeeper. I have directed this to our Executive Housekeeper to be addressed.

Thank you for your review and we all wish you the very best in your travels!

netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The hotel is pleasantly located at the old centre of town. The check-in gave us some problems: keys did not work, when they were activated, we found one of the rooms already occupied. The problem was promptly solved but gave us not the impression of accuracy. The rooms where like one expect from Holiday Inn. Parking before the hotel is free, the restaurant was good. Our major problem at the 7th floor was the terrible noise of the vending machine which kept us awake for quite some time.

Room Tip: Ask a room far away from the vending machine.
strandman46,

Thank you so much for your review. I apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We will be sure to make your next stay better than the last by fulfilling your requests to the best of our capabilities. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please just let us know. Once again thank you for sharing and until next time safe travels to you and yours!

Assistant General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Helena? Share your experiences!