“Okay hotel, great location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Helena
Montana
“Okay hotel, great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a function in Helena and the location was excellent. It is on Last Chance Gulch and the walking mall, so there are many attractions and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel itself was merely okay, nothing great considering the price. The AC didn't really make the room very cool, which was not fun as it was July and very hot outside. Also, here was a leftover dirty sock on the floor from the previous occupant and hair all over the bedspread, so the cleaning staff left something to be desired. The desk staff was friendly enough though so that helped. The restaurant had great food but was also filthy dirty, i.e. lots of old food on the floors from the day before, every surface was sticky, etc... I am not fussy at all and am a working class person from Montana, so if I didn't think it was clean, you might want to think twice before placing a reservation...

Room Tip: Go to the Parrot soda fountain & candy shop on the walking mall about 3 doors down. It is a Hele...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
MT_SnoMo,

I apologize for your experience during your stay with us and I thank you for sharing it with us.
It's greatly appreciated when we hear of, not only the good experiences but also the bad ones too! That way we can fix the errors being made to better help serve you and others who may stay with us in the future. I will personally attend to your issues you had in your room so our housekeeping staff are cleaning the room as they should have been prior to your arrival. When it comes to your restaurant experience I will, most definitely address the appearance of the bar and grille on a daily basis because your encounter was completely unacceptable!
Thank you so much MT_SnoMo for sharing your stay with us and I personally wish you the very best of travels!

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Right on the walking mall, you can't beat its location for getting to restaurants in Helena. Altogether a fine hotel with almost no problems. The only irritation was drink machines on alternating floors, with no diet option in the machine on my floor and a malfunctioning machine on another. Exceedingly pleasant and helpful night-time front-desk clerk.

Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Robin M,

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear you enjoyed our location and hotel. I do apologize for the vending inconvenience you experienced and I will personally contact our vendor to see what can be done, so a diet selection is available on every floor with vending for all our guests including you if you intend on returning to Helena one day. Thank you once again Robin and pleasant travels to you and yours!

Guest Service Manager
Corona, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

What a great location on Last Chance Gulch! Easy walking to lots of restaurants! The rooms were large and clean. And the beds were very comfortable! The only meal I had there was breakfast and it was very good. They even made me breakfast to go on the last morning when I had a bus ride to catch.

I had forgotten a couple of items in my room when I checked out - I called the hotel, they found the items, packaged them up and sent them to me. They did charge for shipping but I was so thankful that they took the time to look! Many hotels would not have!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
JayceeSue,

Thank you so much for your review! We do what we can for our guests and your experience is a prime example of the services we provide. I will be sure to pass along to the restaurant staff that you enjoyed the food and service also. Thank you again JayceeSue for taking the time to share your experience with others around the world! The Holiday Inn & Quarry Bar and Grille wishes you the very best during your travels!

Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

First time staying here on business. I chose it for proximity to the office and my normal hotel was full.
The staff was friendly, but I was unimpressed with the rest of the hotel.
First, if you get any of the x01 room numbers, ask for a different room. They are right next to the elevator, which is quite noisy.
The hotel looks like it has been recently updated, but then some parts are obviously dated (elevator interiors, for example, are a mix of new tile floor, and weird carpeted walls that look old..hmm).

The room: It was fine. Looks updated and is clean. The bathroom isn't big, but it's clean and bright. The bed felt new and the decor was up to date and fresh. I do like that Holiday Inn puts the little ribbon around the pillow to signify soft or firm pillows.
I've seen other reviews about thin walls. I didn't have a problem until the next morning at 5:45am when the clock alarm in the next room started going off, and it's obvious that there was no guest in there. I went back to sleep after a few minutes, then woke up later and could still hear it going. And I always run the fan in my room to help sleep! It went for an hour and a half. I notified the front desk when I was on my way out and it didn't go off the next morning.

I like that they have a regular restaurant instead of the typical "hot" self-serve breakfast, except...the service was very slow!! The first morning I thought that it was because there was a meeting in the conference room next door, but it was the same slow service the next morning. I ordered oatmeal and toast, and I was in there at least 35 minutes both mornings. And it wasn't busy at all. Oatmeal and toast shouldn't take that long. One lady came in and wanted to get just a simple fruit bowl to go. I think she was there 10-12 minutes. It's not rocket science...

So, I don't think I'll stay there again unless I have to. But it's clean, no bedbugs...

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators, and plan extra time for breakfast if you eat in the restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
mtpiper,

Thank you for your straight forward and honest opinion of our hotel. We appreciate the feed back very much! It helps us build on our customer service and raises the bar for our employees. We apologize for the experience you encountered in the restaurant and in your guest room and can not express that enough. I personally hope you will give us another go so the first impression isn't the lasting impression. Once again thank you for your insight and we all wish you the best during your travels.

magrath, ab
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Hotel was easy to find, had ample parking and was clean. Check in was quick and staff were friendly. The desk clerk knew I was there for a conference so he moved my room away from the elevator so I wouldn't be disturbed. The hotel was quite. Nice location. Bathroom was clean. The entire room was clean. Has a clean microwave and fridge in room.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
kkroe77,

Thank you so much for your personal view of our hotel! We greatly appreciate your business and are very thankful that you shared your experience with others who are looking for the same hospitality you have received. We hope to see you in the future and on behalf of the Holiday Inn staff, safe travels to you and yours!

HELENA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I can't believe this place. What a GREAT place to stay. Off the highway and so many shops to wonder through. They know what Customer Service is all about. The Quarry is a wonderful restaurant. The breakfast was delightful. We will be back in Helena several more times, since our child is in Carroll and will always stay here.
Thanks Holiday Inn for the wonderful service and great beds too.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms higher floors: You see the Helena valley at night.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Travler56050,

Thank you for your review! It is greatly appreciated and all of us here wish your child the best during his/her time at Carroll "Go Saints". Until next time we will be waiting for your return, so we can meet or exceed that level of customer service you experience every stay!

Hamilton, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This was a great trip for my family 9yo-14 yo. Pool was nice - resturant/bar had great food with decent prices - good breakfast (till 11). Desk personell and all staff was very welcoming.
Beds were awesome - Rooms clean ! I had no idea Helena ws so nice ! Enjoyed walking around the outdoor mall and reading the plackards on the historical buildings (which look great). All in all a great place to be !

Room Tip: The pet rooms were very nice as well ! - in some hotels they are not as nice.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
Travilinfam,

We are absolutely thrilled to hear your family had a great trip! If you’ re traveling with the kids next time you come through we should have our Exploration Works package all ready to go, which I guarantee will be a great experience for the whole family. When you come back be sure to ask the front desk staff what other treats Helena has to offer, I’m sure you’ll be amazed! On behalf of all the staff here at the Holiday Inn I wish you and your family the very best in your adventures!

Guest Services Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Helena? Share your experiences!