“Great Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Helena
Big Sky, Montana
“Great Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed here during a conference and it was a great location. The rooms were nicely appointed and clean; you can tell the hotel has been doing some renovations and they are great! The lobby/atrium area was very nice. I did slip down to the 'cafe' for breakfast one morning; that wasn't much to write home about a very limited menu with OK food but it fit the bill. The next morning I had a mocha from their coffee shop - very good and reasonably priced for specialty coffee a little disappointing that they don't take credit cards or can't charge to your room. The food at the conference was very good for putting out food for over 400 people; could have just used a few more servers pushing it out to make it go faster(those poor servers were running their tails off!) Kudos to the hotel for pulling off a good conference.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Missoula, Montana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Red Lion Colonial Inn is a nice place to stay. It looks like the public entrance has been recently remodeled and it looks very nice. The bed and room were very comfortable. The free wi-fi worked well and was appreciated.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Helena
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I am the treasurer of a large nonprofit organization located in Helena. I travel to Helena on a
monthly basis (sometimes twice a month). The Red Lion Colonial Inn is the only hotel I stay at.
They usually put me in a king suite at a very reasonable rate. The front desk folks are great and
very efficient. The lounge has just been remodeled and is a state of the arts (five star) lounge.
The restaurant and buffet area are currently under remodel and that will be very nice when complete.

Room Tip: Request a king suite--very comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Missoula, MT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This large complex is an older style convention complex. Surrounded by parking, it is easy to get lost going from building to building. I found the staff to be rude and/or inattentive - on checking in: the clerk was playing with her phone and chewing gum; on checking out: the clerk refused, absolutely refused, to provide me a receipt or invoice for my stay.

My room featured solid wood furniture, gilded mirrors and a faded brown decor. There was a refrigerator, a microwave and a coffee maker, but these took up all the power outlets at the desk. The wifi is free and speedy. The room was cold, but the heater is very noisy.

The bathroom had mold, peeling paint, chips in the wallpaper and not much room for toiletries. There were plenty of towels, but they tend on the small side.

I don't recommend a ground floor room, as the windows have seen attempts at entry from the parking lot.

Homer, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I got in VERY late one night and had to be in professional meetings first thing in the morning. The staff were super helpful - but unfortunately there was some mix up with my room. When I got back the next day from a long day of meetings they took care of everything. Manager even comp'd me a bottle of wine to make up for the mix up. I stayed here for 3 nights and the second night after I arrived I attended a Chamber of Commerce gathering at the hotel to show off some new renovations of the property to the Helena business community. The food was great and the staff super nice. This is a great hotel with good location, amenities and great staff. I do a lot of business travel and see a lot of hotels and can say this one was top notch.

Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I lived in Helena for 30 years. My kids and grandkids still live there. So when I go visit we mostly stay @ The Colonial. They have just redone the pool and hot tub And they are fabulous!.....Marcie In Housekeeping is delightful as well as Norma and Tammy in the restaurant. We also enjoy brie. The windows open so you can get fresh air and they keep the areas clean Inside and out. We have tried other hotels in helena.... but this is the best!

Room Tip: Only two floors. In a horse shape. Quieter on west side.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Kalispell
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2015

The Helena MT Red Lion location is good and the office staff were capable and friendly, but the room was not properly cleaned. There were two or three mint-Oreo cookies under the edge of bed, not visible because the were under the bed skirt (dust-ruffle) at the edge of the bed. One was intact, but when I walked around the bed and my foot went under the dust ruffle, I crushed it, and ended up with Oreo crumbs and mint creme on the bottom of my bare foot. The other cookie was already crushed, and the crumbs were spread about between the bed and the wall. Also not pleasant to walk on, since the crumbs had some of the mint creme on them as well.

When I was checking out, I opened the dresser drawer, which I hadn't used, to see if perhaps I'd absent-mindedly put something in it, and I found several half-full bags of Cheetos or other kinds of snack chips.

The free Wi-Fi was initially inaccessible by my Chrome browser, but I was able to get it using the Apple Safari browser. Once I established contact with Safari, I was able to switch to Chrome. My son, in a nearby room, had the same experience with the Wi-Fi, so you might want to have Firefox or Safari available on your computer if you want to connect.

All in all, even though the bathroom was clean and the beds were comfortable, the experience was pretty-well marred by the pest-bait that was in the room. A few more rooms like that and the Red Lion would have to be renamed Red Roach.

Room Tip: Prices may be higher Jan-throughMarch in odd-numbered years because the Montana legislature is in se...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Been to Red Lion Colonial Hotel? Share your experiences!