“Good room, but pricey; room not clean” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2301 Colonial Drive, Helena, MT 59601   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Helena
Kalispell
“Good room, but pricey; room not clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Helena MT Red Lion location is good and the office staff were capable and friendly, but the room was not properly cleaned. There were two or three mint-Oreo cookies under the edge of bed, not visible because the were under the bed skirt (dust-ruffle) at the edge of the bed. One was intact, but when I walked around the bed and my foot went under the dust ruffle, I crushed it, and ended up with Oreo crumbs and mint creme on the bottom of my bare foot. The other cookie was already crushed, and the crumbs were spread about between the bed and the wall. Also not pleasant to walk on, since the crumbs had some of the mint creme on them as well.

When I was checking out, I opened the dresser drawer, which I hadn't used, to see if perhaps I'd absent-mindedly put something in it, and I found several half-full bags of Cheetos or other kinds of snack chips.

The free Wi-Fi was initially inaccessible by my Chrome browser, but I was able to get it using the Apple Safari browser. Once I established contact with Safari, I was able to switch to Chrome. My son, in a nearby room, had the same experience with the Wi-Fi, so you might want to have Firefox or Safari available on your computer if you want to connect.

All in all, even though the bathroom was clean and the beds were comfortable, the experience was pretty-well marred by the pest-bait that was in the room. A few more rooms like that and the Red Lion would have to be renamed Red Roach.

Room Tip: Prices may be higher Jan-throughMarch in odd-numbered years because the Montana legislature is in se...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Three Forks, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed here for a 3 day conference I had to attend. I was overall pleased with my stay, but I spent most of my time at the conference (gone 12hrs a day for the conference). My husband had a couple minor complaints: the breakfast was not the best, the eggs were runny and they tried to charge him for it. Cleaning lady woke him up knocking at 9 am to clean the room... there was no door hanger in the room to put up do not disturb. He also asked for a late check out on the last day of our stay because my conference wasnt out til the evening, but was told no he would be charged a half day just for a couple extra hours... Would have expected some sort of compromise.... Having an in room jacuzzi tub was nice... Shower in the morning was lukewarm. Sink was super slow/clogged. There must have been some sort of school/church trip because there were lots of kids running all over the place ( up and down the halls at all hours, up and down the stairs for hours in the middle of the lobby in the middle of the day)... was really surprised no one stopped them. Conference room was next to swimming pool, was hard to hear speakers because of the noise in the pool... Overall ok stay. Meals served during the conference by the Hotel werent very impressive. Hotel was clean, but a little dated.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed at the Red Lion specifically because it was the best value for a hotel in Helena that had a bar and restaurant. I was extending a business trip by a day so that I could watch the Super Bowl. I had it all planned out, I was going to watch the game in the bar and order food from the restaurant for dinner. It started off first with a bottled beer instead of a draft because the draft wasn't working. Then only after I ordered the beer did I find out that the restaurant is closed on Sunday's and so the bar doesn't offer food (even on Superbowl Sunday!). The manager of the bar seems to be as dumb founded by this odd fact as I was and mentioned that there was a bar and restaurant across the street. I promptly paid my bill and went across the street. I was prepared to spend some $$$ on beer and food while I watched the game, that unfortunately had to go to the place across the street.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Helena C, Manager at Red Lion Colonial Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for staying with us. Our newly remodeled lounge opened on Super Bowl Sunday and yes there was a need for a service person to come and work on our draft beer system first thing Monday morning. The hotel restaurant is not open on Sunday evenings but we do our best to offer snacks, delivery menus if the guest so chooses and suggestions of nearby destinations that do offer food to accommodate a hungry traveler. We appreciate your feedback and will continue to make improvements to make your next stay enjoyable.
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had no plans so at the last minute used hotwire and ended up at this hotel. Because we were in a hurry I forget to check of a few key things that we like...particularly breakfast. Breakfast included is always good. The room was ok. We could hear the people in the next room and there was little privacy in the bathroom, the walls seemed to be paper thin. The lobby was under construction although didn't affect our stay except for the fact that it looked like there was going to be a nice lobby bar that we didn't get to partake of. I would probably choose one of the other hotels in the area if I were to return.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Helena C, Manager at Red Lion Colonial Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for staying with us. We are currently performing an extensive remodel throughout the hotel. The pool and attaching windowed Natatorium have been completely remodeled. The Lounge and Restaurant are now open and look outstanding. Further changes will continue including our guest rooms. Please do visit us again I think you will be pleased with our results.
Great Falls, Montana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2015 via mobile

Really appreciated the ability to get to the Montana State Capitol during the session. Parking at the Montana State Capitol can be difficult at certain times of the day, you can get to where you need to go in under 15 minutes.

• Stayed January 2015
Thank you for your review. Your feedback will be enjoyed by the hotel staff.
Layton, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2015

I stayed there 8-10 January 2015 for business. The hotel is in the midst of major remodeling, especially in the restaurant, bar, espresso bar, and meeting spaces. The lobby and entry are being overhauled. When finished it should be nice, but unfortunately not much is happening with guest rooms. The furnishings in my room were dated and worn. The room size is very generous however. The bathroom is OK and countertop space around the sink is good. The bathtub/shower is pretty worn out. I had a problem with the room and reported it to two different people on two different days and it never got resolved...that was unsatisfactory. If you have an event that needs meeting space this is a great location. If you are traveling for leisure and only use the guest rooms, keep looking. There are some nicer spaces in Helena.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the second floor...on the ground floor you can hear folks walking around above.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us. Our renovation is continuing throughout the hotel and will include changes and updates to our guest rooms. The Lounge and Restaurant portion is now open and looks outstanding. I apologize for your room inconvenience . Your feedback will be shared with the Department Managers so a similar situation does not occur again. Please visit us again and see what changes we have made.
Whitefish, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2015

My husband and I were in Helena for a business meeting and staying at the Red Lion with a large group of people. The front desk agents were very courteous and friendly upon arrival and managed to get several people checked in within a short amount of time. The dinner at the banquet was delicious and offered a little something for everyone. It appears as though they are undergoing an extensive remodel so it will be exciting to see how it looks in a couple of months - so far it is looking great!

Room Tip: While undergoing construction, the dining and bar options are extremely limited. I would suggest pla...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
It is always terrific to hear such a great review. Thank you. Your review will certainly be shared with the hotel staff. We looking forward to accommodating you the next time you are in town.

Been to Red Lion Colonial Hotel? Share your experiences!