“Shilo Inn - great price in Helena, MT” 3 of 5 stars

Shilo Inn - Helena
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2020 Prospect Ave, Helena, MT 59601-3254   |
Ranked #17 of 22 hotels in Helena
NW Arkansas
“Shilo Inn - great price in Helena, MT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is an older property, but fairly well kept. It was the best price we could find for Helena, MT. Continental breakfast was adequate. Swimming pool was good, HOT tub was GREAT, and they also had sauna & steam room. Seems the place is constantly try to update (little by little) things like the the TV's & mattresses. Don't expect the wifi to be very useful since internet access was spotty at best, even with a good wifi signal. No fitness facility.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn - Helena, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear mtngoat2013,

Our swimming pool and hot tub are very popular and I am very glad that you could enjoy them during your stay. I will look into the wifi problem that you mentioned.

Thank-you for taking time to give us such a nice review.

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

As others have said- you get what you pay for, in our case $48 on priceline.com. There is nothing nice about this hotel, but for what we paid it's hard to expect a lot. Shilo Inns generally aren't the nicest places and this is easily the worst Shilo Inn I've ever seen, but it had a bed and a TV and WiFi that worked and was all we really needed for a quick overnight stay on the way home from a trip to Glacier Park. We didn't want to blow the trip's budget on a nice hotel on the way home, and it suited our needs. If you're looking for any of the comforts or niceties of staying in a hotel for the experience of doing so, look elsewhere, you will be disappointed here. But, if you just need a place to spend a night and can overlook the age and dinginess of the place, this will do.

Room Tip: Our room was on the lowest level close to the pool and was dank and musty. Maybe a room on a higher...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Relytj,

I am pleased that you found the guest room adequate for your overnight stay. We are indeed a convenient stopping place in between Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park and we have many, many guests that enjoy stopping at the Shilo in Helena.

We are not the newest hotel in Helena, but most of our guests are pleased with the comfy, coziness of our hotel and the friendliness of our staff.

Your comment is appreciated.

Thank-you,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I wouldn't even rate this place! We stayed there for only 1 night, gave us room 115 went and checked the room out and it smelled sooo bad! Went back to the front desk told them about it and needless to say I had a newborn in my arms and they thought they could get away with it... gave us room 105 next wasn't bad until we pulled over the covers and there was bugs!!!! To top it off the darn shower head didn't work! This place is horrible and make sure you check your surroundings before you take your children in there! Will never stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn - Helena, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear mvmjelstad,

You had 2 rooms reserved and I admit that we made an error and checked you into dirty rooms. It was an error. We did apologize and made sure you had 2 clean rooms. We would never want this to happen to any of our guests. It was so inconvenient for you. We are truly sorry for this error.
Don’t give up on Shilo Inns for this mistake. We do hope you will stay with Shilo again in the future.

Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

First off I only paid $70 for a 2 queen room and a pool, so I don't feel too bad.
The place is small, limited staff and probably just hanging on due to remote location and larger chain hotels next door.
With 2 kids, I look for value, a pool and breakfast. The first room AC was broke, so they kindly moved me to a second room with no hassles. 2nd room cable paid tv was not working. They said they could move me again, but we just stuck with basic tv and stayed.
There is no breakfast room, just a corner of the small lobby that they somehow cram basics into. I went to Albertsons and picked up some fresh fruit etc instead. The pool is small, but the kids liked it. Both the sauna and the steam room are not working, which is funny because if you read further reviews, you will notice this is common knowledge for some time... that indicates that they either don't read tripadvisor, or they don't care. The rooms are basic, but clean, and the beds are comfortable.
Don't expect 3 star, but for $70, it will door for a night.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear mattkingston,

The sauna and steam room sometimes need to be “reset” for them to work properly. I will be sure to remind the staff and maintenance to reset them daily. Thank-you for letting me know about this issue.

The pool is a favorite and I am glad that you and the children enjoyed it.
We hope that you will stay with Shilo Inn again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My companion and I have a tendency to be hotel snobs because we travel for work. But on this road trip we were looking for the best value considering we were spending minimal time in our rooms. We definitely found that with the Shilo. We booked on Hotwire each night and paid no more than 60 per night. The beds are great, the room was clean, big windows open and it is close to the highway and Walmart. I'll definitely be back. If you are looking for a clean cheap room. This place is great.

• Stayed May 2013
SALT LAKE CITY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I've stayed at many different Shilo Inn's in the rocky mountain region. This location happened to be the oldest/outdated by far. The front desk staff was VERY friendly, and check in was a breeze.

The room was very outdated, and the bed was horribly uncomfortable. The WiFi didn't work well (the office said they are trying to isolate the problem), and the breakfast food was stale.

I got a good online deal for the room, so I guess I can say I got what I paid for. It's an okay room for one night. No more than that. I like the Shilo Inn brand of hotels and would stay at other locations again. This one... only if there aren't other options.

Room Tip: A garden level room away from the main road and ice machine.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ketchikan, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We lost our son Josh on April 16, 2013 in a head on car accident. My husband and I were on a long over due holiday in Maui when we received the news. We scrambled to get a flight to Helena Montana. We ended up stopping at the local Shilo Inn. Kathy Carey and her staff were so helpful and accommodating that it made us feel like we were taken in by family. Thanks to Lyle, Kathy, and all the cleaning staff for your warm care and consideration. When ever we are in Helena Montana we will always be staying with you. Thanks for your care in our time of sadness. You are all wonderful!

Ray and Peri Shapansky
Ketchikan Alaska

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn - Helena, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Mr. & Mrs. Chapansky,

It was our pleasure to make your stay as easy and comfortable as possible. Dealing with the tragic loss of your son was your priority. Your lodging should not have been any concern for you. We were blessed to have met both of you and we wish you the best.

All of us at Shilo Inn Helena hope to see you again.
Thank-you for taking time to send in such a wonderful comment.

Kathy C.

Been to Shilo Inn - Helena? Share your experiences!