“Won't go again” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Hardin, Montana
“Won't go again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We were looking forward to eating at La Chalupa after hearing about it from a friend as well as reading the reviews. Although not overwhelmed by the decor, it was pleasant and the owner friendly. We ordered our meals. Unfortunately, my meal was not what I had ordered or something I would not have ordered normally. I did apologize, but told the server that I had ordered a different dish, she said no, that was what I had ordered. The owner came over and asked how everything was and I repeated politely that the meal was not what I had ordered - instead of offering to exchange the order (or the like), the server turned to the owner and shook her head that to dispute my comment. I'm not that fussy about my meals and will usually make do when small errors occur, I ended up a small portion of a less than enjoyable meal and was treated rudely, in addition to being charged $5.00 more for the meal provided than the one I had ordered. This is the first review I have ever written and I prefer to write positive things, but today I could not. My spouse did like his, however.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Hardin, Montana
“Best place in town.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Authentic mexican is right at your finger tips with excellent food you can not go wrong!

Visited May 2012
south australia
“Aussies on a US road trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Food is Ok, but the atmosphere is quite "odd". Staff are not all that helpful, and always scurrying around the resturaunt. Not much else in Hardin, so OK I guess

Visited April 2012
San DIego
“Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

Recommended by Rodeway and could not of been more pleased.

Visited February 2012
Hardin, Montana, United States
“Worth the trip if you are craving Mexican”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

This is a family owned restaurant that is easily on par with anything in Billings and most likely better. We have few choices in Hardin for good dining, and generally end up traveling for really good food. This is the exception. I am proud to have Juan and his family serving Mexican food in our little burg, because there is no equal anywhere within a hundred mile range. The excellent food is prepared fresh, with all fresh ingredients. Juan is never heavy handed with the spices, and as a result, the natural flavor of the food is enhanced rather than masked. The salsa is fresh not canned, and the chips are fresh and made daily in house. The portions will leave you satisfied, and more than likely taking some home. Juan is always friendly and quick to tease you if you get to know him, but never in a mean way.

The only bad thing I can say is the atmosphere is contrary to the quality of food and service. It isn't horrible, it just isn't great.

In conclusion, the service is fast and friendly, the food is beyond compare with anything in a 100 mile radius, the portions are large, and the prices are excellent. If you pass through Hardin near lunch or dinner time, I urge you to give La Chalupa a try.

• Visited November 2011