“Amazing...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Greenough
Wisconsin
“Amazing...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great place to go to try a lot of different outdoor activities. The activity staff is what makes this place great. They never make you feel like you cannot do something.The lodging accomodations are beautiful. You are truly in the middle of a large ranch. A great place to go and relax. Expensive but worth it.

Room Tip: Expect to have a cabin or a home. Every accommodation is great as they give you a golf cart to get a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephen B, CEO at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you so much for this review! We are all delighted that you enjoyed the activities and the vastness of our spectacular ranch resort. Although guests frequently tell us that they have trouble fitting in all of the activities available, it sounds as if you managed to do many of them and still have time to relax!

We look forward to welcoming you back again so you can participate in more Western fun!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

For my first trip to Montana, I couldn't have picked a better way to experience all that it has to offer. The Resort at Paws Up is ideally located for the avid outdoors man/woman who likes a bit of luxury after a day of adventuring. And once more, I was thoroughly impressed with the wonderful staff who went out of their way to accommodate us. Being a vegetarian in the land of bison and trout, I thought I would be relegated to a week of drab salads. Much to my delight, however, the resident chef prepared a diverse array of delicious vegetarian entrees (lentils, wild mushroom risotto, etc.) and sides (the brocolini was amazing!!), and the salads were anything but drab! My favorite activity of the week was the private riding lesson I took with Max, Paws Up's resident horse whisperer. It was a treat to learn from him and to be able to drive cattle with him and some other Paws Up guests. In addition to that, Paws Up also had a number of trails to hike or go for an evening run - the vistas were picturesque, particularly with the occasional hot air balloon floating above the rolling hills. At night, it was a treat to share a glass of wine in the hot tub or over a plate of fresh s'mores. All in all, it was a wonderful holiday. I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting to get a taste of Montana. Many thanks to all of the wonderful staff of Paws Up! Thanks to making our stay so fun and relaxing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Stephen B, CEO at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to send this review of Paws Up. I hope that your first trip to Montana won't be your last as we love to welcome back guests who have discovered the charm of this unique property!

I am so pleased that our team helped you enjoy your time here and especially that the chef was able to create imaginative vegetarian dishes for you. He takes equal pride in preparing Montana beef as a mushroom risotto and is an amazing talent.

I hope you will choose to return for another fun and relaxing holiday in the future and look forward to welcoming you back.
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Just got back from our second family vacation to Paws Up. It was even better than the first, which was a tough act to follow. The thing I love most about Paws Up is their execution of hospitality. It is perfectly detail oriented, thoughtful, and appropriate in each setting throughout your vacation (dining, room service/house calls, outfitting/guiding, air port shuttle service, etc). They have an uncanny ability to treat you like distinguished guests and old time friends all at the same time. I think this speaks to their unique philosophy about luxury destination travel, their training and experience, and definitely their staff, who are kind, professional, and FUN across the board. Every member of the family will remember every detail about the trip - isn't that what it's all about?! Can't wait to get back to the last best place....

• Stayed October 2012
Thanks for writing this review; we can't wait to welcome you back too!

Thank you for highlighting the hospitality that our team exhibits. That is our core business and despite the gorgeous surroundings and the beautiful facilities here, the guest experience would be much less were we not to provide world class hospitality. We work hard on that aspect and it is gratifying to have it noticed and acknowledged. We also like to have fun creating memories for our guests and I'm so glad that your family enjoyed the stay. Please come back soon....maybe for Christmas?
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My family visited The Resort at Paws Up in October and had an INCREDIBLE time! We went as a party of six (my parents, my brother/his girlfriend and me and my husband). The time spent together in one of their Wilderness Estate homes was fun and special just to have the quality time around the huge fireplace, playing "old school" games, and lounging around with cocktails just talking on the deck. We're all very active so the activities were perfect - the fly-fishing trip down the river was everyone's highlight of the trip, tied with the Cattle Drive (Max and Val are the REAL DEAL.) We also did the Sporting Clays activity which was cool and different for us! The fall colors were spectacular and we had great weather - crisp/cold in the morning and evening but sunny and very pleasant during the day -- the staff said that they get a lot of families with small kids during the summer, so if you're a couple or family with adult kids, I highly recommend this place in the Fall. The staff treats you like friends and were so fun and helpful to be around. And, we all love great food and are healthy eaters, so hat's off to the Chef for sure! The menu was excellent, and we appreciated the portion sizes (not super huge for once!) and we also had vegetarians in our group and they were very accommodating but also thoughtful about those specialty dishes. Bottom line: we loved it!

Room Tip: The homes are great value for families or groups of couples!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Stephen B, CEO at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
We so appreciate you taking the time to write this review. Thank you!

I am delighted that you and your family had such a great experience here; it is truly a wonderful place for family reunions and reconnecting with each other in a unique setting. It's interesting that you note that two of our employees are "the real deal" as we try hard to be authentic in all of our activity offerings, while adding a touch of "wow" to everything we do. Chef will always accommodate special requests and like everyone on the team, is committed to creating wonderful memories for our guests.

I hope you will return again in the future for more fun and relaxation!
Media, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We've had the pleasure to experience 2 different seasons at Paws Up and find it to be the most exhilerating and relaxing vacations we've ever had. The activities are so unique, the guides so personable, knowledgeable and fun to be with that you just can't Not do things everyday! The houses are perfectly done in 'rustic elegance' decor with every amenity thought of. The staff can't do enough for you, the food is fantastic and the chef very accomodating. It really is "the last best place".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Family fun and unique experiences are exactly what Paws Up is all about (although it is also a great place for couples). We try to provide a wide range of activities that can either exhilerate or relax depending on your mood and I am pleased that you enjoyed both. Our staff take great pride in their jobs and we all look forward to welcoming you back for more adventures!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We attended during their Montana Masters Chef event, and it was amazing. I have been to a lot of amazing places throughout the world, and the facilities here are as nice as anywhere I have been. There is a certain unexplainable calm about this place that takes you over, and allows you to really relax and let go for a couple of days. I love how genuine the employees are, and just nice good people that help you out because they want to. The meals were absolutely phenomenal, and we had lots of fun in the bar during the evenings with the other guests. The beds are amazing, but we tried to stay out of them to enjoy the hikes, views, fly fishing, shooting, and horseback riding. My only wish is we would have stayed longer to enjoy more things about the resort, which I guess we will have to do next time we go.

Room Tip: We had a lodge with tent(amazing because you could sleep inside or outside), but heard lots of great...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Stephen B, CEO at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thanks so much for taking to time to write this review. I believe you have hit on many of the points that make Paws Up such a unique place: the calming atmosphere of being surrounded by incredible Big Sky scenery, the cuisine, the accommodations, the activities and most importantly the staff who genuinely enjoy their jobs.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the other activities and facilities of the resort that you didn't have time to try. Your "Last Best Bed" awaits you!
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Disclaimer: This is going to be a long review, because there were so many things that made this trip fantastic.

My family (everyone is in their mid-twenties and above) love to travel, and we usually take yearly vacations. We've been to a lot of tropical locations and wanted to try something different. We'd been looking into the whole glamping thing for a few years. After reading a few of the negative reviews on here I was a bit nervous, but as soon as we were picked up at the airport I knew we had made an excellent choice. The staff was so friendly and made the 45 minute drive go by so fast (the gourmet snacks didn't hurt either). We stayed at Pinnacle camp (go to this one!) and I can't say I've ever seen a more beautiful, serene place in my life. You are right over-looking the gorgeous river, and you can hear it all day and night, which was so relaxing, like listening to the ocean. Some people claimed the conditions in their tent weren't great, and there were bugs. I don't think these people really know what camping and nature are all about. Yes, this is high end camping, but you are still in a tent. A beautiful, amazingly comfortable tent, but it has canvas walls, so bugs do get in. But that's the price of being that close to nature. So if you can't handle some daddy long legs, go with one of the houses. BUT, other than that the tents were awesome! Every night your butler comes and turns on your heated blanket so your bed is toasty warm when you go to sleep (which in June will still be when the sun is up, bc sunset isn't until around 10:30, which was so cool). We went in mid-June, so the temperature dropped to fairly chilly at night, but we never even noticed in our beds.

Food: One of our favorite things about the campsite was the dining experience. It's very informal, which we loved. Breakfast is made by the camp's chef, who can cook anything but eggs benedict and waffles (no waffle maker) he told us. He was so friendly, and breakfast is very communal, with everyone gathering around the fireplace in the pavilion and chatting over coffee. It made it feel so much like camping. And you get to hear about fun activities from other people. Dinner is a little more formal, you just tell your butler when you want to eat and they have your table set and your courses planned out. Let me just tell you about the food: HEAVEN. Everything is locally grown, (even the meat, lol), and the ingredients are so high quality it made everything a delight to eat. We did not have a single thing we weren't raving about (and we've been to high end Napa Valley, New York CIty and Vegas restaurants). But if for some reason you don't like things or something is not being done the way you want, the butler is so willing to help. Ours was friendly but sarcastic (in a good way), which was good considering we're from NY and so were a few other people, he held his own pretty well - shout out to Lee! The restaurants were completely fabulous as well. Tip: bring your own wine. We knew this trip would be expensive, and we didn't mind paying for such a great experience, but the wines are marked up quite a bit, and being a big wino family we couldn't bring ourselves to pay the mark-up when we had great bottles at home. The resort has no problem with you brining your own bottles, and lot of people did it.

Activities: So amazing. We did rafting, ATV rides, mountain biking, horseback riding lesson and the cattle drive. Mid June weather there was in the 70's some days and the high 50's others, which means it's not the most popular season, which means we went on all of our excursions, aside from rafting, with just our family. That was really fun, it made it feel like a private activity just for us.

Service: Despite what some reviewers have said, we didn't encounter a driver, activity leader or server who wasn't friendly, outgoing and super nice. I mean everyone. I mean it makes you want to move to Montana. If anyone had a bad experiences my guess would be they weren't being as friendly as they could have toward the staff. For example, the WiFi at our camp wasn't working great, and my mom owns her own business. After about the third day she really needed to make some conference calls, but she's in the healthcare business and needed privacy because of patient confidentiality, so the main lodge wasn't an option. They just gave us the key to one of the houses and told us it was ours to use for the rest of the trip whenever we needed to. This is a house that normally costs thousands of dollars a night. One of our family members also had to abandon the ATV ride a few minutes in, due to an old injury that they were afraid they would exacerbate, and they took that person right off the bill even though they have a strict cancellation policy (due to how much preparation goes into their excursions).

Money: Yes, this is a very expensive trip. Most of us live in large cities with demanding jobs and the ever increasing loss of social skills. Places like this don't usually exist, except in our imaginations. It's not necessarily for everyone, but if you want to reconnect with your family, with yourself and with the REAL world you live in, not the urban one, then if you can afford it I don't think you'll find a more amazing place.

Room Tip: The campsites are more informal and social, while the houses are more private. Restaurants: I recom...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this very detailed review. I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your experience at the resort and it is gratifying to know that we delivered on our mission of delivering the "wow" on so many levels.

We are fortunate to be located in a magnificent setting and we work hard to provide extraordinary experiences and world-class service to guests whether in the myriad diverse activities, in the camps, in the dining rooms, spa or bars and it is wonderful to know that your family had such a great time.

The entire team looks forward to welcoming you back again in the future to the beautiful state of Montana and Paws Up!

Been to The Resort at Paws Up? Share your experiences!