“A good show and an excellent meal.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Great Falls, Montana
“A good show and an excellent meal.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Kobe's have been open for over a month now. We wanted to take our daughter and her family to watch the food preparation. Having been to a Kobe's in Clearwater, Fl we wanted to share the experience with some family members. The only excitable time was when the 'chef' lit the flaming fire. Our 5 year old grandson thought this was great. He kept tabs on other grills to see the flames. We enjoyed the way the cook handled the cooking utensils and other pleasant jokes and antics. It was a good show and enjoyed the meal of shrimp, steak and fried rice. The price was quite reasonable and it is great to have such an eating establishment in town.

• Visited December 2012

Great Falls, Montana, United States
“Best Sushi in Town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I am from southern California, so I am used to very god sushi. Kobe's comes a very, VERY close second with some of the best sushi places on the coast. Everything was perfect. I highly recommend this place to anyone that is wanting some good sushi/seafood. Just make sure you place a reservation if you do not plan on sitting at the sushi bar.

Chester, Montana
“Great Place for a Fun Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Four of us went to the new KOBE for lunch. You can sit at a regular table or at a grille as we did. I was pleasantly surprised how affordable the lunch special was. For about $10.00 each we all got a cup of soup to start and then our choice of entree. We had the shrimp, chicken, scallops and teriyaki. They come with fried vegetables and steamed rice. The meals were all excellent. I suggest you upgrade from the steamed rice to fried rice. The steamed rice was tasteless and sticky. If you have never been to a teppan style restaurant then you are in for a treat. The show that the cook does at your table is always fun.

East Glacier Park, Montana
“Not bad, but hopefully will get better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have been to this newly opened restaurant twice - once in the teppannaki side and once on the sushi and Asian dishes side. The yakisoba was terrific, as was the miso soup. The tempura was less successful - kind of greasy.
We visited the teppan side late on a Saturday. Do not go to this restaurant near their closing hour of 10:00. Twice we asked if we were causing a problem by arriving near closing. (We had just got out from a symphony performance.) We were assured we were not a problem. And, I guess we weren't causing the staff a problem, for they proceeded to shut the restaurant down around us! Ours were the only chairs left standing - the others were all up on the tables long before we left. This was more than a little disturbing and disruptive to a dining experience.
Our food was quite good, though not as flavorful as most teppannaki is. Our meals started with a delicious onion broth and a salad, brought together, perhaps to help us clear out more quickly. The soup was a pleasant surprise - it was delicious. The salad was pretty awful. Most Japanese restaurants use iceberg lettuce for salad, and Kobe is no exception there. However, the dressing theyuse is as flavorless as the watery lettuce. None of that wonderful ginger-soy stuff here - it had so little flavor I cannot give it a description.
I thought the grilled veggies were wonderful, though different from any teppan restaurant I've had before. Lots of broccoli, onion, and mushrooms mostly.
The shrimp appetizer (two medium-large shrimp each) were a little mushy but had okay flavor. I had the NY steak, and it was cooked as requested (rare) and very good. It did lack the zing I expect from this type preparation, though. The dipping sauces were dissapointing. The one recommended for seafood had very little flavor, and the ginger sauce recommended for the meat dishes was also pretty bland. My husband's scallops were very good, My daughter said here shrimp was very good, though it was the same shrimp I received as an appetizer, and I would just call it acceptable.
Service at the "regular" side of the restaurant was excellent. It was their first day open, so there were lots of questions our server was unable to answer, but he always made the effort to get an answer for us. Our teppan chef was excellent, but the general server was rarely there. The one request we made was for chopsticks, which never arrived, but the request was greeted by a grimace.
This is a wonderful addition to Great Falls but it needs a lot of tuning. The noise level is very high, even without any other diners. It was hard to hear one another, and making out what our chef was saying with an accent was impossible, though in a quiet room I think I would have been able to easily.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Great Falls, Montana
“Great gluten free food and entertaining chefs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The server and chefs were very aware of food sources of gluten. They cooked my food in the back on a clean pan rather than on the grill which was contaminated and I did not have any problems. It would be nice if they had some gluten free soy sauce to offer gluten free customers but I was happy to get something plain which didn't make me sick.
They do need to work on their service as the server took about 20 mins to bring our drinks and never brought our side dishes. However, when we pointed it out she adjusted our bill and apologized, which was nice.
The chefs were also very entertaining as they cooked at the grill. Will definitely return!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere