“Request a River View room - it makes a difference.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS By Mammoth Hot Springs

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS By Mammoth Hot Springs to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS By Mammoth Hot Springs
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   905 Scott Street West, Gardiner, MT 59030-7778 (Formerly BEST WESTERN PLUS By Mammoth Hot Springs)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Gardiner
San Jose, CA
“Request a River View room - it makes a difference.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

I went around and around trying to decide on a hotel for this stay and finally went with the Best Western Mammoth Hot Springs based on accommodations (2 Queens + private bath, free wifi, updated rooms), location (walking distance to meals, bars and easy access to the park entrance) and availability of a River View room.

I will say that the River View is worth it, for three reasons:
1. You will have a view of the Yellowstone River rather than a view of the motor inn next door. Which is nice for a number of reasons I'll let you come up with.
2. These rooms have been updated with Damask(esque) linens and more modern furnishings, so none of the polyester floral bedspread business you'll likely find in the other rooms on this property, and elsewhere in Gardiner, I imagine.
3. The rushing river noise at bedtime is especially relaxing and lovely.

The room itself (2 Queens) was adequate for us three gals for the weekend. The toi and shower are together in a closed bathroom, while the vanity is just outside - convenient for more than one person trying to get ready before a day at the park, etc.

The view from the room was incredible, see the photos. Unfortunately, there's not a balcony on the 2nd floor where we stayed, so we just opened the windows and enjoyed the breeze/view/rushing water noise from the lounge chairs in the room. I think if you stay on the first floor, you have more of a balcony, but I didn't go down there to check it out. I didn't see any chairs, so I'm not sure you're encouraged to, like, hang out in front of your room.

The bathroom was clean and tiny, with a full size shower over tub. Nothing much more to say than that.

They provided in-room coffee/tea/etc, but we didn't make use of it, and frankly could have used that space for other stuff, but whatever, no biggie.

The other room amenities were adequate. Cable TV was fine - no trouble there. But the wifi was a little spotty and when we called the front desk one morning because it was down, they said, "Uh. OK. I"ll, go, reset it or something." After which, they did exactly nothing. We were going into the park at that point anyway, so whatever. Just don't expect Tech Help from the front desk staff.

A nice amenity is the good sized fridge in the armoire. They don't prestuff it with useless and expensive snacks, so you're free to load it up with your daily rations and/or bottles of gin and wine. Just saying.

The location of this place was pretty decent and we did walk to breakfast/dinner/drinks every day. Of the places we visited, Tumbleweed Cafe and Bookstore was definitely the high point. We had breakfast (bagels, eggs, great coffee, teas) and lunch (amazing wraps and panini) there on multiple days and found it to be an excellent option - very fresh and homemade. I recommend the Hazel wrap - delish. The dude at the counter was very friendly and talked us through their little bookstore offerings, too. We sat outside and enjoyed the weather, lunch and free wifi on more than one occasion. Two thumbs up.

We went to Outlaw Pizza on our first night there. I wouldn't go back, mostly because it's just marginal pizza, but I didn't expect much from it to begin with. The waitress was very nice though, and they have Fat Tire on draught, which is excellent.

We did visit the Yellowstone Mine with attached Rusty Rail cocktail lounge, and while our dinner was fairly decent (steaks, baked potatoes, buffalo burgers, etc), the wait staff was pretty awful. They acted like they'd never seen a rush before and were, well, just rude. They pretty much just acted like we were bothering them with our pesky questions about, "May we have a table for three?" and other such ridiculousness, while they raced around clearly hating their lives. The woman behind the counter yelled at my friend when she offered her credit card because, "Hello, Missy, can't you see I'm counting out the drawer right now?! Give me a minute!" Awesome. The redeeming quality here was the lounge which, while definitely full of similar rude freaks, had a bar stocked with Bombay Sapphire and bar stools shaped like horse rear ends, which makes me happy. I think my cocktail was like, $4, too - which is not bad coming from CA.

We went to K Bar one night for their allegedly "amazing" pizza and enjoyed another marginal pie. Not that it was bad, necessarily, because when is pizza really *bad*, but nothing to get excited about. Fat Tire in the bottle here. Just so you know.

We tried the Town Cafe on our first day there, since the ever-popular Sawtooth Deli was perpetually closed, and actually found it to be a decent stop with good breakfast (no wobbly bacon or lead pancakes here) and fun wait staff. Menu's not half bad, so we went back again during our stay.

As for the "Hot Springs" part in the name, there, just pay that no mind. This is not any closer to Mammoth Hot Springs, or any hot springs, than any other hotel in Gardiner. It's just called that because the first major sight inside the park from this entrance (the North one, just to be clear) is Mammoth Hot Springs, a cool 5+/- miles away. The hot springs at Boiling River, however, are a bit closer, just after you enter the park.

If you're looking for hot springs and don't want to shimmy into the river but would rather dip in a spring-fed pool - you could try out Chico Hot Springs in Pray, MT - about a 45 minute drive from Gardiner. We shot up there one afternoon around 4pm or so, and found the poolside bar and soak in the pools to be a nice way to end the afternoon. A few margaritas go down real nice in a natural hot spring soak. The pools are open late (until 10, I want to say), so you can go after a long day at the park and just soak. Call ahead for dinner reservations, though, as they book fast. They have a locker room with showers onsite, if you want to freshen up. It was about $6.50pp for a day pass to soak in the pools. Nothing fancy, but we met some interesting folk.

As for Yellowstone itself, this hotel and town (Gardiner) provide a good jumping off point for entering the park and a decent place to land at the end of the day. Just remember to request a River View room so you don't end up with a skanky bedspread and a view of the motor lodge next door. OH! Almost forgot, if you want to stock your fridge with, uh, the necessaries, there's a little grocery store within walking distance that is pretty well stocked and carries a nice selection of liquor.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Northwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

On the spur of the moment decided to visit Yellowstone. Pulled out the AAA Tour Guide, called many hotels, many who were not very pleasant, and then called this establishment. The woman receptionist was very informative and kind. Since it was the end of the peak season, she reduced the room rate without me asking. Further, she indicated that pets are allowed, and would only charge a nominal rate for my pet. Since the hotel was almost completely booked, she made sure that the room she booked for me would be cleaned, locked and ready upon my arrival, even if I ran past the initial 1 1/2 hour arrival time. Since it was my first time visiting Yellowstone, she indicated she would have a map ready for me of Yellowstone, and would help me figure things out once I arrived. The service I received just over the phone was fantastic.

The hotel is located on the main drag of the small town of Gardiner, and is just a couple of minutes away from the main entrance (Arch) of Yellowstone. Check in was very pleasant, and the place looked empty for about one hour, then it seemed everybody was coming to stay here. The room was quite nice. An extended balcony was on the first floor, and all the rooms facing the river had a wonderful view and sounds of the river. There were chairs outside each room so one could sit and watch the river. There was parking within steps from the first level river rooms which made it quite convenient.

The room was quite pleasant, nicely decorated. A nice touch was the frig..There were two nice sized clean beds, t.v., phone,an outside sink with adjacent toilet shower/tub combo. The only noise we heard was the sound of the air conditioning unit, as it was quite noisy, but we turned it off anyway to listen to the amazing river.

Since we were coming to Yellowstone at the end of the peak season, every restaurant except one was closed. Thankfully, the hotel advised us that adjacent was a nice restaurant on their propery, with small bar, and a couple of gaming machines. Any meals could be charged to the room which was quite convenient.

Their breakfast was a very well done breakfast buffet, complete with pancakes, bacon, eggs, etc. If you did not want the buffet, I am sure you could order off of the menu.

At night, it got busy, locals and tourists alike. Their prime rib and steak was absolutely one of the best we ever had, and their soup was awesome. It is pricey, expect to pay about $100.00 for two people for dinner, The restaurant is quite charming and rustic, and a nice atmosphere to discuss the days' activities.

From the restaurant help to the front desk help at the hotel, they all made our spur of the moment trip to Yellowstone very enjoyable. We would definitely go back again.

We had no safety concerns or issues during our stay.

Very appreciative that pets are allowed.

• Liked — Location in the heart of the City of Gardiner, and the hotel located right by the river.
  • Disliked — Could use a little sprucing up.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

We arrived late evening so did not spend much time in the area. The hotel itself was very nice, clean & comfortable. Note that it does have both interior (which we had) & exterior doors which I don,t care for. We had no issues with keys as previous reviewer however there was a young man at check in desk, not to friendly. It was a nice area , chairs outside to sit in by the river, nice view. I did feel howevr it was a little pricey compared to other hotels we stayed in around Yellowstone. Also this was the only hotel that did not offer free breakfast of some sort. The guy at the desk said it was because they have a restaurant next door. Poor excuse being most hotels have restaurants next door & still offer breakfast.

• Liked — Clean & comfortable
  • Disliked — no breakfast
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ipswich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

The location of this motel in Gardiner is perfect for the northern entrance to Yellowstone and the village of Mammouth Hot Springs is only 10 minutes away.
The room was large, clean and overlooked the river. We deliberately chose to have a second floor room after previous experiences of a noisy ground floor rooms elsewhere and we were delighted to find that the windows actually opened as we prefer fresh air to air conditioning.
The staff were not overly friendly and when we ask where to eat they directed us to the cafe next door although we later found that there were alternative places in the village equally as good.

• Liked — Location
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

Hotel was nice for what it is and a good deal and close to the enterance of Yellowstone. However, on three seperate occasions the front desk gave keys to our room to new guests. The first time I was alone while my husband was out and a man walked in on me as I was changing. Him and his wife were given our room number. I was completely shocked as were the man and his wife!! I promptly used ALL the locks until my husband came back. He went to the front desk where the teenage boy working said sorry and reissued keys. I was so freaked out we used all the locks as we should have before. The next night SAME thing happen thankfully we had the locks and my husband went to the door and another couple was like This is our room. After this we looked into moving hotels but there wasn't anything available. We compalined AGAIN and they assured us it wouldn't happen again. DAY THREE we were coming home from the park and a couple was trying to get in our room and we saw them GO IN and we ran over and they had KEYS to the room. My husband went BACK to the front desk and the teenage girl just laughed at him and said sorry...he lost it. We got the managers number and call her at home. She assured us it wouldn't happen and comp'ed one night. The thing is all over town there were signs about stolen laptops and such so you would think a hotel would be more security conscience. There is a Comfort Inn across the road STAY THERE for simular price and MOST LIKELY better security!!!!!! I spent four nights awake thinking someone else was going to enter the room!!!! Not fun!!

• 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Alabaster, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

Stayed here for 1 night before exploring Yellowstone. We had a very comfortable, clean room on the first floor. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would return.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Royal Palm Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

This property is just 5 miles from Mammoth Hot Springs in the park. It is located right on the river. I got to video my husband white water rafting by while I sat on the deck outside our door. The room had a frig and microwave. It was clean and reasonably priced. My husband's shoes sat out on the deck for 2 days drying out and no one stole them. We even stayed an extra night because of the great sound of the river rushing by. Great little town. Lots of shops, place to eat and rafting options.

• Liked — Right on the river. Beautiful.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS By Mammoth Hot Springs? Share your experiences!