We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gardiner
Headwaters of the Yellowstone Bed and Breakfast
You added Headwaters of the Yellowstone Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
9 Olson Lane, Gardiner, MT 59030   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Gardiner B&B and Inns
Mount Vernon, IA
“Great B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Excellent location. Stayed the night in the Elk room - extremely comfortable. Best part was the breakfast - food was amazing, and Charissa was a great host, introducing everyone and getting the conversation going. Interesting group of people staying here, and we got some great pointers. HIghly recommend!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I would like to start off by sending a giant thank you to Charissa for being such great host and making our stay there a perfect way to end our summer family vacation. The single best reason I can give for staying there is the hospitality and kindness of Charissa, the owner. She went out of her way to make my family and I feel at home. She took the time out of her busy schedule to teach my kids, city kids, how to catch her numerous chickens. My kids had a blast just chasing the chickens and gathering the eggs. She and her husband, Tim (who was gone on training during our stay), are park rangers and she was a wealth of knowledge on the park and local area. Her most popular and best recommendation was to slow down and enjoy the places you get to see. Don't worry about rushing around to see everything. It was great advice. She really made our stay a great experience.

When I started searching for places to stay for Yellowstone, I came across the Headwaters and contacted Charissa. Charissa not only helped us with planning our stay at her place but was very helpful with suggestions on where to stay for the Grand Tetons. My family and I stayed at the Headwaters in early July at the end of a Glacier/Grand Tetons/Yellowstone National Parks summer vacation. We were originally booked for three nights but quickly realized that this place was special and we were lucky enough to book a fourth night while we were there. For our first three nights, we stayed at the mountainview cabin. The cabin was a perfect size for a family of four. It is not a huge place but is definitely nice and met our expectations. For our last night, we had the Bear and the Bison Rooms. The beds and living area were excellent and comfortable.

The Headwaters location is perfect for visiting north Yellowstone, being only a few miles away from the north entrance of the park at Roosevelt Arch. It is right on the Yellowstone River, with a play area for the kids and plenty of chairs to just sit and read and enjoy the sounds of the river going by. I had a chance to do a little fly fishing right their little beach and caught some fish, tragically whitefish and not trout.

I am almost forgot to mention the breakfast. Although we stayed in the cabin most of the time, Charissa offered us breakfast for our stay. It was $10 per adult and $5 for the kids. It was spectacular with a great combination of sweet and savory. Please try the homemade yogurt with some honey and fruit. Ask Charissa when you get there as I believe it based on how many people are staying at the main house.

Lake Oswego, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in early July and wished we could have stayed longer. We had a three day trip to visit Yellowstone park and were coming from Sun Valley, Idaho. Our first night we stayed near West Yellowstone and for the last two nights of the trip we stayed at the Headwaters in the Riverview cabin.
We arrived late in the afternoon after spending our entire day in Yellowstone park. Headwaters is just a few miles away from the North Entrance of the park. Charissa was there to welcome us and show us to our cabin. We were treated by an appearance of a young bull elk who was enjoying the leaves off of the apple tree in the front yard of the property. Our kids were delighted by the chickens, the duck, the cat, and the swing set out front. Near the river, closer to our cabin was a large lawn with bocci ball and tether ball and a short walk down to the river is a small beach. The Flying Pig raft company uses this beach for its overnight raft trips and the guests are housed in three pretty white canvas tents situated near the river. We headed into the town of Gardiner for dinner and when we came home our kids enjoyed roasting S'mores with the river guides and their guests. In the evening all was quiet, except for the sounds of the river and the wind. In the morning we found the kitchen well equipped and we made a quick breakfast. Our kids loved that they could retrieve eggs from the hen house and cook them up right in our kitchen.

We spent our first day after arriving at Headwaters with the Flying Pig company doing a Saddle&Paddle. This consisted of a great horse back ride at the Hells A Roaring Ranch overlooking Yellowstone Park and the town of Gardiner, including lunch at the ranch, and then we followed it up with a two hour float down the Yellowstone river. On our second night we were too exhausted to cook and ended up ordering yummy pizza from the K-bar (Charissa's recommendation) in Gardiner. On our second morning we were treated to a delicious breakfast in the main house. If you want to have breakfast in the main house you need to confirm with Charissa that there is space available and reserve your spot in advance. I believe it is $10/adult and $5/child if you are not staying the main house. On the morning we had breakfast in the main house there were berry turn-overs along with homemade yogurt, fresh raspberries, local honey, and a baked egg with roasted golden cherry tomatoes alongside. Hopefully, if you go to Headwaters you'll enjoy this treat as well. Everything was lovingly prepared and served.

Charissa is an excellent hostess. Her knowledge of the area along with her graciousness, humor and generosity all contribute to her success as an inn-keeper. We would be delighted to stay in the Riverview Cabin or the Main House again, only this time, we'll stay 4 nights not just 2. Our 7 year old cried when we left because she wanted to stay and bake treats with Charissa and her daughters.

The only thing I would point out to potential guests is that when you stay near the river expect lots of flies. It's just part of the natural environment. In the evening, the bugs are definitely out. We slept with the windows open and the screens did a great job of keeping everything out, but when you do go from outside to inside in the evening the bugs are en masse right by the doors because they are attracted to the lights of the cabin. Fortunately, there weren't mosquitos, just big moths and little flies (none that bit). I guess for some people this might be a bit of a nuisance, but for us it was fine. My husband tried a little evening fly fishing thinking the odds might be in his favor, but the wind was pretty strong making it difficult to cast. Next time he'll get a fish...next time....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
aokmamma, Owner at Headwaters of the Yellowstone Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Just a quick note about the bugs - we are on the banks of the Yellowstone River which means, world class fly fishing and fish food! The bugs she was referring to in this post are cadis flies - non biting, as are a majority of our bugs along the rapidly moving (and very cold) river. We encourage you more abour their biology (they are actually an interesting part of the wild scene).and rest assured that bugs are merely an annoyance here - not a dominating force! (and don't forget to ask us about flyfishing - we have a sweet spot right out front!)
Butte, Montana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is the third time my children, grandchildren and myself have stayed at the Headwaters of the Yellowstone Bed and Breakfast. We have always felt welcome and the breakfast is so good. (And, oh by the way, there is a national park nearby!) We have not only stayed in the Bed and Breakfast but also in the small cabin and on this trip the larger River View cabin. During the day Yellowstone Park is just a few miles away to explore and experience the beauty of the park. In the evening you can go back to the comfort of the Bed and Breakfast. The beach area by the river that runs along the property is so calming and the kids can play in the sand. After a restful night sleep you can join others at the best breakfast. Charissa is a wonderful cook and is always willing to share her reciipes. I know we will be back.

Boulder, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I went to Yellowstone for a photo assignment for a magazine. The magazine suggested I stay in a chain hotel outside of the park or in one of the cabins inside the park. I did a little research and found Headwaters of the Yellowstone Bed and Breakfast. Staying there for my five nights was THE BEST decision I could have made. I stayed in the cabin down by the river which is adorable, comfortable, clean and so nice to come home to. Traveling alone and having never been to Yellowstone it was priceless to have Charissa (the owner) and her family there to offer me everything from cans of bear spray to warm baked brownies. As a native of Yellowstone and married to the Chief Ranger of the park Charissa is a wealth of knowledge.

The two nights that I stayed inside of the park to get another perspective I was immediately homesick for my cabin by the river. Inside the park was crowded, impersonal, my cabin window looked out on a storage shed, I heard cars and people throughout the night and I had to rely on the food service to eat. At Headwaters I went to bed to the sound of the river outside my window and woke to sun on my own porch overlooking the mountains with a place to stretch out, make coffee and my own breakfast. At Headwaters I felt close to nature, independent, cared for and at peace.

I can't wait to return with the rest of my family!

Room Tip: if you can, stay in the cabin by the river!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed recently in the Elk room with private bath. Really comfortable bed and so nice to leave the window open and hear the soft sound of the river nearby.
Charissa and Tim are wonderful hosts and the breakfasts set you up for the day.
It was lovely to sit in the large guest lounge and chat to the other guests in the evening and Tim and Charissa also joined us too !
Loved Tim's anecdotes about Yellowstone and their daughter Kate amused us with her stories about horses. ( I think she wants one!)
Thank you for welcoming us to your home.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights here and, wow, the view is spectacular! The breakfast (in a large-windowed room upstairs with a spectacular view of Electric Peak) is yummy and filling, rooms are cosy and clean, and we met some wonderful people. An easy place to relax. The bedrooms radiate off a central, living room on the lower floor with comfortable sofas where you can relax at the the end of the day and get to know people (if you want). Small fans are provided for hot days but no air conditioning (you usually don't need it as it cools off at night due to altitude). Good reading material on the park is available there and in every room. The rooms are private and quiet with nice bathrooms. Information on Yellowstone National Park from Charissa, who runs the B & B, is second to none. She grew up in the park and works there in winter. Her husband is the head park ranger. She posted weather information for us each day and prepared homemade cookies for us to eat after we spent a day in the park. During our sojourn to Yellowstone, we stayed at Old Faithful Inn and Lake Yellowstone Hotel, but I enjoyed this experience and lodging much more! The B & B is just outside Gardiner at the northwest entrance to Yellowstone, close to town on the Yellowstone River in fly fishing territory. They have wifi but cell phone service here (and in the park) is spotty, so best to communicate with the hosts by email. Get directions before you come. Our GPS gave us the wrong directions – mountain interference. Look for the colourful trout on the sign at their access road.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Headwaters of the Yellowstone Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!