“Top notch Operation! Rafting, Horseback...” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 13 Attractions in Gardiner
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Celebrating all things Yellowstone, the Flying Pig Adventure Company offers options for everyone! We got our start with whitewater rafting, and that is still our baby. Thousands of people have enjoyed our 8 Mile, 18 Mile and Overnight Rafting Trips on the Yellowstone River. We have awesome guides and our own private river access. This year we have also added scenic floats for those who want to sit back, relax and soak in the views.The Flying Pig also offers horseback rides at a nearby scenic alpine ranch, Private Yellowstone Park Tours, Fly Fishing both in Yellowstone Park and on nearby lakes and rivers, and a wide array of lodging. We have also expanded to a second store location in Gardiner, where we offer a full complement of camping, hiking, fishing and apparel. Looking to experience Yellowstone first hand? Want to try something new? Give us a call and we will work with you to find just the right adventure. We encourage everyone to get out there and challenge themselves by doing something they never thought they'd do....to let their Pigs Fly!
Madison, Wisconsin
“Top notch Operation! Rafting, Horseback...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Our family spent a week in Gardiner this summer (August) and decided to go with Flying Pig for our activities after making several calls and researching reviews. Boy were we happy with our choice! Every person we came into contact with was energetic, friendly and truly seemed to love what they were doing. We got a lot of inside information on places to see in the park that were off the beaten path and allowed us to see some wildlife. It was great.
The whitewater rafting was one of our favorite things we did all week. I should say that the water was a bit low since it was later in the summer, but it didn't stop us from having an awesome time! We went on the 18 mile trip that included lunch and a beautiful run through Yankee Jim Canyon. We saw osprey, ducks, geese, antelope and even a buffalo. Our guide, Kate, was awesome too - very friendly, but also very conscientious about making sure we were all safe and sound and having a good time. My 7 year old was in heaven and my 15 year old thinks he wants to come back in a few years and work as a raft guide for the Flying Pig! Next time we want to go on the Overnight Camping Raft trip that they offer.
I have seen some reviews about the horseback riding that say they thought it would be something different, but I don't know what they're talking about! We did a 2 hour ride and a Cowboy Cookout and thought the ranch and the wranglers rocked. The setting is unreal and is very Montana. You can see for miles as you look down the mountain into yellowstone park. The trail we went on was a combination of open meadows and forest. The dinner could have been a little cooler if they would cook the steaks in front of you, but we had a great time eating and soaking in the views. Fun songs by the cowboys around the fire too! WAY better than the ride you get in Yellowstone park.
We are recommending the Flying Pig to our friends!

Visited August 2013

Stevensville, Montana
22 attraction reviews
“Ho Hum”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The outfitter this group used was busy in the mountains with hunters. They left behind one kid who was our "guide". He was nice enough, but not adept at being entertaining nor was he schooled in local lore/information. We expected plodding hard ridden horses, that was no surprise. The trail was nice, although NOT what the Flying Pig told me it was going to be like at all. What bothered me was the lackluster attitude, at the outfitter (Hells Roaring) and at the Flying Pig Adventure office. When we got to the office the door was locked. We had to bang on the door. They handed out a map to the outfitters and that was that. No way to run a competitive adventure company!

Visited September 2013
Kalamazoo, Michigan
9 attraction reviews
“Paddle/Saddle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Flying Pig arranged a two hour horseback ride in the Montana High Country (7000+ ft elevation!) at Hells-a-Roarin' Ranch. Glad I chose just the two hour and not the half day (4 hour) ride! If you are not used to riding horses, you WILL be sore afterwards.

I was a little nervous about saddle security as I had fallen off a horse a couple years before and broke a knee (surgery) because of a loose saddle. The ranch staff was extra vigilant about making me feel secure with the horse I was on!

Great guide, beautiful scenery with the mountains in the background. Guide offered to take pics with my camera so I could share with others!

After coming down from the ranch, I went to Flying Pig headquarters in Gardiner and they sent me to lunch at one of two restaurants. After that, I checked in for the Yellowstone River rafting (paddle) fun.

Our paddle guide was a young man from South Africa! So friendly! (cute too!) As he paddled our group down in the rubber raft, he regaled us with stories of fun on the river! We got to see a herd of pronghorn antelope that had come right down to the water's edge, and numerous merganser ducks romping in the river. At one point, we could go swimming in the Yellowstone River off the raft fi we chose.

It was a wonderful 8 mile, 3 hour raft trip with mostly category 1 rapids but there were a few category 2 rapids as well. Not terribly dangerous at the end of August ... the river was down considerably from what had been there earlier in the year (category 3 and 4 rapids earlier in the season!)

This day long adventure was a perfect blend of beauty and excitement. I would recommend Flying Pig to others who want to experience a little something different! They were terrific!

Visited August 2013
Fishers, Indiana, United States
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and i just spent a week at Flying Pig. The lodging over looking the beautiful Yellowstone River was perfect, although we didnt spend much time at the cabin. We were busy touring the park, taking a raft ride and horse back ride, and we even tried fly fishing. Thanks to the owner Steve for his patience and coaching during our first ever fly rod attempt.
Our guide, Troy ( "trout") was very informed about the park and the wildlife, our day trip thru the park was very rewarding- some hiking, education and good conversation, plus a lunch that inclued Steve's smoked trout. All the employees at the Flying Pig were super -they really made our trip memorable.

Visited September 2013
Los Gatos, California
31 attraction reviews
“Adds extra oomph to trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had planned a 7 day trip to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. I happened to spot Flying Pig Adventures on the Yellowstone website. Our family loves white water rafting and we've rafted some of the best rivers such as New River and Lower Gauley. In reading the description of their white water rafting, it was clear that the rapids were tame relative to what we had done, but their overnight rafting trip sounded a lot of fun so we signed up for that. We had special meal requirements and the owners were very gracious and accommodating. Everything was done over email and phone and the responsiveness was excellent! The overnight rafting trip turned out to be fantastic! We did it right after Grand Tetons and before Yellowstone so it was a great diversion from hiking and wildlife. The rafting guides were awesome! The overnight part of the trip gave us a "glamping" experience - starry skies, posh meal around campfire, music and singing by campfire. And the rafting itself was a lot of fun (since our expectations about the rapids were realistic). We spent a lot of time in the water, floating down the river. We even got caught in near-torrential rain, and it was the most fun all of us have had in a while!! We also used Flying Pig to get us a guide for a day of wildlife viewing in Yellowstone. And that was a good spend of money too. The guide was knowledgeable and shared interesting information with us. He had great equipment which allowed us to see wildlife better. I asked our teenage kids afterward if having a guide for a day was something they would preferred to have skipped and they said it had been a good idea! I think that says it all!

Visited July 2013