“Excellent Customer Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riverside Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gardiner
Riverside Cottages
You added Riverside Cottages to your Saves list
521 Scott Street West, Highway 89 & 2nd Street, Gardiner, MT 59030   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Gardiner
West Jordan, Utah
“Excellent Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I recently booked a 14 night stay here because they had the best prices by far. I had to place a 50% deposit in advance. Due to the government shutdown and the closing of Yellowstone I had to cancel my trip. I was not able to cancel with a weeks advance notice in order to get my deposit back. I called them to discuss the situation and they were understanding, friendly, and immediately refunded my deposit in full! Even though I did not get the opportunity to stay there, the owners showed me their commitment to customer service. I will rebook with them once the park re opens.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Laura C, Owner at Riverside Cottages, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
We are sadden by all the people who had planned their vacations to visit Yellowstone and are denied access due to this government shutdown. We just didn't feel it was right to keep a deposit for a situation beyond your control. We look forward to your stay when you can travel this way in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Evanston, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Friendly owners set the tone for our stay at the Riverside Cottages. The cottages are old but well maintained and show that the owners take pride in their property. Location is on the main street, but traffic in this small town of 800 is light, so vehicle noise is minor. We had the Deer Cottage which had a queen bed and a rather unusual "bunk" single bed over the queen bed. This would be fine for a couple with a child. The cottage is small and there is no seating in the main room except for the bed. There was, however, a table and chairs in the well stocked kitchen which had a coffee maker, microwave, frig and stove as well as dishes, pots and utensils. There is a deck with chairs, grills and a hot tub overlooking the town and the river.

There is a grocery store within walking distance of the cottages which was full size and also sold wine. Next door is a rafting/zip lining company which is handy if you want other activities after spending time in Yellowstone. As mentioned, the cottages are located 5 miles from the north entrance of Mammoth Springs. As it was rutting season, on the lawn of one of the town buildings, the male elk was watching over all his female elk and presented a great photo op.

This is not a town for gourmet dining, so don't have high expectations on the food. Again, with the beauty of Montana and Wyoming all around you, food really isn't your reason for travel anyway. We ate at the Iron Horse which was a bar/restaurant with reasonably priced burgers, pasta, salads. We had good experience with the waitstaff -- friendly and responsive - and we liked the idea of the outside seating area (although it was too cold when we were there). The Cowboy Grill was another similar restaurant -- average food, same type. Both were in walking distance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura C, Owner at Riverside Cottages, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
September is a lovely time to visit Yellowstone with the elk and bison in rut and putting on quite a show for our guests. We try to make the cottages as functional as possible in the space provided. We are about to begin construction to expand our deck and add two rooms with a sitting area and a private balcony overlooking Yellowstone River. We hope you will consider staying with us again if you travel this way in the future.
BTM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We were traveling with friends on a last minute trip to Yellowstone and lucked into getting accomodations for the night. We resided in the "Fox" cottage (1 double, 1 single bunk). Clean, compact, updated with the conveniences you expect. The Fox is on the river side of the complex not the street side. It was quiet, although there isn't much happening in Gardiner to make traffic noises at night.
Owner was very friendly, and took time to go through the rooms and grounds to show us everything. Although we didn't need anything more, from her attitude, I'd expect that she'd bend over backwards to accomodate our request.
At the risk of giving away our secret, I'd recommend Riverside Cottages.
The only downside is that they don't have a continental breakfast provided. ( I know, we're cheap ol' buggers!)

Room Tip: I'd recommend the cottages on the river side of the complex, although our friends stayed in the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura C, Owner at Riverside Cottages, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
What a fun last minute trip to visit Yellowstone. We are glad you chose to stay with us and felt comfortable and rested in your Fox Efficiency. While we have thought of adding a continental breakfast, we don't have a large enough area to host a breakfast but we will keep your thoughts in mind. We hope you will visit us again if you are traveling this way.
FREMONT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Location:
Perfect for us....5 miles from the north entrance to Yellowstone
Cottages on a hill overlooking the river.....short walk from cottage to edge to look over at the river.
Cottages on the main street of Gardiner, walking distance to grocery and restaurants
(Some traffic could be heard, but not anything disturbing for us.)
River below and mountain above....hot tub there with beautiful mountain view.

Decor:
Mountainlike cabins....loved the idea of an animal theme for each cottage. Nice furniture and decorations, especially bedspreads....a rustic look.

Size:
We opted for a large cottage because we were staying in Yellowstone for 5 days so we took the Bison Cottage....loved it....full kitchen area, table and 5 chairs, two queen beds plus two bunks. We didn't need all the beds, but liked having them to rest on for evening TV watching.

Loved the wall TV...big.....great WiFi service and LARGE, PLUSH TOWELS !!!!
Owners very helpful to get a few things we needed so don't hesitate to ask.
Good sized fridge and large counter area for cooking (of which I tried to do as little as possible because this is a vacation.)

The mattresses were super comfy and much appreciated for our senior bodies which have on and off aches and pains. We were out watching bison all day and grateful to rest when we got back. We travel a lot and once in a while get a place we really like and this is one of those
times !! Oh, almost forgot.....cleanliness is so important and our cottage was very clean and housekeeping continued to keep it that way throughout our stay. Thanks to other Trip Advisor reviewers for pointing us here!!

Room Tip: Talk to owners to help select your room size as some of the cottages are smaller than others.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us. We are so glad you enjoyed the comfy beds and were able to relax after a long day in Yellowstone. We enjoy walking to the grocery store and restaurants and notice a lot of our guest enjoy being able to walk to places close by. Our staff is very dedicated and works hard to keep the cottages clean and we appreciate them very much. Looking forward to seeing you in the future if your travel back this way.
Sedona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I were on a Western vacation and encountered a horrific situation @ Riverside Cottages. We were aggressively confronted by the owners and my wife wrote a long and detailed review stating the FACTS of the encounter. The owners did NOT respond to our review but instead chose to respond to another travelers 'Terrible' review by fabricating a response to my wife's review! The owners stated that my wife 'threw a blow dryer and was witnessed by another guest." Well guess what, the ONLY other guest that witnessed the owners despicable behavior was me! Just for the record my wife was never disrespectful, nor did she throw anything at any time. The owners are not only disreputable, they are lying in an attempt to somehow justify their awful behavior! If they can treat senior citizens this badly I am wondering if they should re-evaluate remaining in the hospitality industry. You may refer to 'WorldSprinter18' review for the record.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Laura C, Owner at Riverside Cottages, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
"You state that the owners did NOT respond to our review." True, at the time of your review I simply didn't have the option to reply. When I did start responding to reviews I did not feel it appropriate to go back 22 months (Your stay was July 2011 not October 2012.) to rehash an unpleasant situation for you or us. I did respond to a reviewer who directly mentioned your wife's review, and I commented accordingly. However, I am sorry you had an unpleasant stay. We found you alternative lodging down the road that was paid for by us and you refused to accept it and chose to stay. I also apologize that my written statement implied when your wife threw the blow dryer in the sink that it was witnessed by another guest. I took the hair dryer to your wife and I took it out of the sink after she threw it. The witness was standing in our office when your wife called and could hear her "raised" voice through the phone.
Vernon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Like most others, we stayed at this property during our visit to Yellowstone. We stayed in one of the cabins. I was expecting something a little more private and perhaps a little roomier however I had no complaints about the comfort, quiet and convenience of the unit that we stayed in. It is very conveniently located near the Yellowstone Park entrance and you can walk to many nice restaurants and small stores. In one word, adequate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us. Sorry you were expecting a more roomy cottage, but we are glad you were comfortable and able to walk to many shops and restaurants.
Porcupine Plain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We were on a ten day road trip thru the States and unfortunately this was our least favorite place....it was very clean and the owners were very friendly....but oh my goodness....these were VERY tiny rooms....there were 4 of us (stayed in Elk Cottage) and it was a good thing we are a friendly bunch and that it was only one night....our bed was not very comfortable, old and creaky with a lumpy mattress..... my mom and sister's bed was better....even tho it was clean there was a bad smell from the drains.....I booked in July and this was the only place with vacancies in the area.....I realize accommodations are expensive in and around the parks but we stayed in a luxury b & b the night before for the same price (and that included breakfast).....Book earlier and shop around.....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Laura C, Owner at Riverside Cottages, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
I'm sorry your stay was not as to your expectation. The beds were bought at the same time last year, so I am sorry one was more comfortable than the other. We offer a rate competitive in our area to a basic hotel room. I will investigate the smell to determine the source.

Been to Riverside Cottages? Share your experiences!