“Mixed review” 3 of 5 stars

42950 Gallatin Road, Gallatin Gateway, Big Sky, MT 59730   |
Lexington, Kentucky
“Mixed review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Not bad for a rustic experience. Excellent food at the restaurant. No coffee maker in the room. No ice or vending machine. Would be 4 star with a few room upgrades. Beautiful mountain stream directly behind the property.

Room Tip: Limited # of rooms. Asked to see the room before accepting.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
rainbowranchlodge, General Manager at Rainbow Ranch Lodge, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for coming to visit!
And thank you for your feedback! We have taken our guests advice and ordered coffee makers for every room. We have unlimited ice at the lodge and are always happy to deliver it to your room, apologies if this was not expressed during your stay!!
Room upgrades are in the plans, shortly after we unveil our new out door hot tub.
Thank you again for your feedback, we value your business and your thoughts!
Please let me know if you have any more to share or would like to join us once the new hot tub is unveiled. I promise there will be a coffee maker in your room and to hand deliver ice upon request 406.995.4132.
All my best!

196 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed here for three nights in early August. We booked a Riverside Luxury room as we decided to treat ourselves to an above average room and first class service. The location is lovely, seeing the Gallatin River from our room was great. The room is fine but not luxurious. The breakfast is also nice and offers some healthy and delicious choices. However, there were some relatively small requests that were not met. I called before arriving to confirm and make sure there was an in-room coffee maker and was told there was. This is important to me as I am an early riser and like to have coffee right away. When I realized there wasn't a coffee maker in the room, I asked at the front desk and was told they would try to locate one. I asked several times, different people, and never got the coffee maker. I find it strange that a coffee maker could not be had because other rooms do have coffee makers. Secondly, one of the lights above the bathroom mirror was not working and I asked to have it fixed. It's difficult to see to put on makeup in the bathroom which is somewhat dark. It was never fixed nor did anyone from the hotel contact me to follow up. I mentioned these two things in the survey I received from Rainbow Ranch Lodge and never heard from the owners/managers. I don't feel that we had a "luxury" experience and I'm disappointed in the lack of responsiveness.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for coming to visit Rainbow Ranch this summer!
My apologies for the lack of coffee maker and bathroom light not being attended to. This is not how we operate and I am sorry you had to experience this. Good news, thanks to your feedback we are ordering coffee makers for all of our rooms!
I am happy that we personally had a chance to visit on the phone about these issues and I hope you are feeling better. Maybe you will give us a second chance and come back for another visit, please don't hesitate to call me for any more feedback and to book a room at a great rate 406.995.4132.
Take good care!
South
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Having stayed at RR in years past and visiting friends in Bozeman, we decided to treat ourselves to dinner and an overnight stay. Upon check- in we found our room, did not have a fireplace, the alarm was chirping and one of the beds did not have a mattress pad cover, the other did not have a blanket at the foot of the bed. There were holes in the bathroom wall and the bath tub drain was not appealing. One bedroom did not have a chest of drawers. The battery was replaced immediately in the fire alarm. I was told that that they were out of mattress pad covers, but that they were on order. They offered an extra set of sheets and brought them to the room for us to put on. My friend opted to just sleep on top of the top sheet. The porch is lovely but views are obstructed by the railing. We settled on the back porch with my friends daughter in law and then had to listen to two employees who decided to have a meeting about finances of RR on the porch right next to us. We were very excited about dinner, having dined there over the past 15 years, but were again disappointed. They seated us at the back room of the restuaurant where I faced a window with a view of a fireplace under construction. The charcuterie appetizer was very good. However, my friend ordered scallops which were so salty that she mentioned it to the waiter who explained that perhaps they were brined too long and then said that it was the last order and never offered another dish. My tenderloin was cooked correctly, however, the truffle butter never melted and the potatoes with bacon were starchy and overcooked... they had obviously been held for a long time. We were surprised that no one ever asked how our stay was upon checking out. My friend had her wedding at RR before the fire and it was lovely. I have rated this property as average due to the choices it the area. However, at the prices charged for accommodations and dining, I would given it a lower rating in a more populated area. We have high hopes for the return of excellent service and accommodations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
First of all thank you for coming to visit this summer! Second, thank you for your feedback, we value what our guests have to say and take all comments seriously. AND most importantly my apologies that your stay was not what you were expecting. We have already made improvements on some of your comments, visited with the Chef about the potatoes and salty scallops (one of my favorite dishes) and the hot tub construction will be done for Christmas Holiday so no more disturbing view of the canvas in front of the Spanish Peaks, instead a rock chimney for our out door fireplace.
That said, I would love to visit with you personally about how your stay was. I apologize that this is after the fact and if it makes a difference, please call me 406.995.4312. I would love to visit with you about these items in person and see if there is a possibility of giving us a second chance.
Kindly,
Dublin, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Mollie and staff hosted a business meeting for my Peer Group and took great care of us during our stay at Rainbow Ranch. They were attentive to our needs but did not hover or interrrupt us. The wine cellar conference room was a fantastic venue for two days of intense work and all food, from snacks to meals was great. A peaceful view of the Gallatin River against a mountain backdrop from the balconies and back lawn was an added benefit. I had my wife and two young sons along, and the boys entertained themselves by fishing in the trout pond (caught a monster or two!), and I took them wading in the river for some fly fishing as well. Although the rooms do sit close to the road on the front, it was never a problem, and the large back lawn makes it worth it. The Lodge's close proximity to a number of great places to eat and shop is a plus, and it still feels rural at the same time. Well done.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Gray, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We arrived the morning of August 16th and could have not been happier with our greeting. Would have liked to had better early "room" arrival situation in that we were a party of 8 and needed to change to go fishing and room were not available until 3. Friendly staff, great people. The views were magnificent.

Room Tip: Never saw a pool or fitness center, not that you needed one.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My family and I had a wonderful experience at Rainbow Ranch. The staff is there for your every want and need. My daughter and I had the best most beautiful horseback riding trip ever which was completely arranged by the staff. The view of the river from our room's back poarch was perfect. We couldn't have asked for a better place to start our visit to Montana.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Our family of 5 stayed at Rainbow Ranch for 3 nights when we visited Yellowstone and Big Sky. The people and the location MAKE Rainbow Ranch. You can't beat the views and the sounds of the Gallatin River right next to the ranch! Everyone who works at Rainbow Ranch is incredibly friendly and helpful; no request will go without a smile and assistance. The breakfast was yummy, dinner at the restaurant was great and the wine-maker dinner was also something to remember. We had a great time at Rainbow Ranch! The rooms are great for families as you can get 2 rooms with multiple beds to accommodate 4-5 people. Cell phones do not get reception there, so don't plan on making contact with the rest of the world, but I think that is the point of going there.....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rainbow Ranch Lodge? Share your experiences!