“Elkhorn Ranch - Exceptional” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elkhorn Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gallatin Gateway
Elkhorn Ranch
You added Elkhorn Ranch to your Saves list
33133 Gallatin Road, Gallatin Gateway, Big Sky, MT 59730   |
Limekiln, Pennsylvania
“Elkhorn Ranch - Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This is an amazing experience. The crew and wranglers are exceptional, the food is fantastic. The horses are safe and well cared for, the cabins are rustic while being comfy and roomy. The other guests are also quite interesting and it is nice to interact with them. There is also a great program for the kids - if you want to get your kids "un-hooked" from the internet and connected to an unbelievable part of our country - this is a great way to do it.

In addition, it is relatively close to Yellowstone, so it is easy to incorporate a trip there into your itinerary.

But I discourage anyone from thinking that they need to jam pack their trip with a million "must dos". Go, relax and get grounded, reset your priorities and take a deep breath.

Also - this was our fourth trip there and we plan to go back as often as possible.

Room Tip: The ranch assigns you to a cabin based on your family size.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We found Elkhorn Ranch by chance, but were so lucky! A girlfriend and I brought our kids (7 of us in total) to Elkhorn this last week. We were about the only people at the ranch on our first visit. We ate and rode and played games with multiple generation families who have been going for years-- and yet everyone was friendly, and beginners were welcomed. The Peanut Butter Moms were wonderful, and the kids are asking when can they go back. The horses were alert, well behaved, the instruction/guides were wonderful. Accomodation was charming and comfortable-- the beds were firm and while I went to sleep aching from the rides, I always woke up refreshed. A fantastic trip.

Room Tip: There are differently designed cabins, and it would be useful to call and talk through your family t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

You really can’t do better than a vacation at Elkhorn Ranch. There are many things that make it a special place; add it all up and it’s hard to beat.
First there are the people, both crew and other guests. All are friendly and genuinely helpful. Many guests have been coming for years, generations even. No airs or egos for the most part; so refreshing. Once I relaxed and opened up, I found the guests to be very interesting and very warm. It took me until Thursday to get it, so I recommend a minimum stay of a week, two weeks would be better.
The second thing that makes the Ranch so special is the views. The Ranch itself is beautiful – log cabins, green grass, mountains, the horses. The rides up into higher country open up vistas that are unmatched: snow-capped peaks, miles of green grass loaded with wildflowers and butterflies punctuated on the lucky days with bear, moose, elk and eagle sightings.
The third thing is the horses. These are not your usual second career rent-a-horses. These animals are bred and trained for their noble work of taking guests safely on no-nonsense trail rides. These horses are all business and a real pleasure to ride. Guests who have never been on a horse are expertly guided by the crew. You can forget about the anxiety and enjoy the ride.
The fourth thing is the accommodations. This ain’t no five star resort; it’s way better than that. It’s rustic log cabins with wood burning stoves and ample porches. Cabins are clean and comfortable with good reading lights, no televisions, and no phones. While wireless Internet is available near the office, the Ranch is an opportunity to unplug from all of that. It’s best to take advantage of that opportunity lest you miss what’s really happening. And the food! Don’t worry about the food. Always good and always plenty. And if you have special needs, I am sure they will be happy to take care of you.
The fifth thing is the program for children. We went without our grown children, but I was skeptical when I learned that children spend most of their time separated from their parents. When I saw how things worked I became a believer. This program really works. The children love it. The crew is wonderful and totally responsible. Don’t worry, you will still have plenty of time with the children. And it’s perfectly fine to come without children, too.
All of this happens under the management of Linda Miller, third generation at the Ranch which was started by her grandparents. Tradition matters.

Room Tip: Don't worry about it. Let them choose the right cabin for you.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Family of 5 had a wonderful time at the ranch located in a beautiful area between Bozeman and West Yellowstone. The staff was wonderful. The food was excellent. Our 3 children, ages 7 and 12 (twins) spent most of their day with other kids under the exceptional supervision of the “Peanut Butter Moms”. From breakfast till 8:30PM, the children ate meals together, rode on the horses together and played many fun games. My kids LOVED the never ending tins of homemade cookies.

In regards to the riding, the wranglers were terrific and the horses were a perfect match. What a delight! The trails were beautiful and we were fortunate enough to spot two Bull Moose not far from us. One morning we enjoyed breakfast on the trail and another day dinner.
We had a nice spacious 4 bedroom cabin with an awesome porch. Upon request, the Crew will light your potbelly stove before you awake.

I, the Mom, who was afraid to ride, rode each day with my hubby and new friends. Some rides too with the family (but the kids preferred to ride with their friends). My horse was perfect for me and made me comfortable from the first day!

What a perfect family vacation!!! The kids are already asking to go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sandusky, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Elkhorn Ranch is filled with the most friendly, knowledgeable, professional and fun staff! If there is one place not to miss in your lifetime, this is it! There is so much to do for every age and ALWAYS someone willing to help you learn the ropes of the real West. So many new experiences and so many great memories. This place is definetly one of my favorite places on Earth!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
chestnut hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This was by far the best vacation our family has ever had. To do it justice, I have a lot to say, so bear with me. I am going to try to do this by categories. Here goes:

Choosing to go out west: It was time to plan our summer vacation. Typically we rented a beach house, or some years we travelled – Europe or elsewhere. This year, we decided we wanted to see the west and that we wanted an active family vacation. The answer was a dude ranch. After doing our research and talking with friends, we chose the Elkhorn Ranch – a ranch with a lot of history and tradition. I have to confess while we were excited, we were a bit nervous. This was definitely out of the box for us. I had ridden as a child, my husband had never been on a horse, and neither had our son. Let me just say, this was by far the best vacation we ever had. We all agreed – we would be going back and often. When we got to the ranch, we were greeted by Linda, the ranch manager, who is also the granddaughter of the ranch founders. She is so at ease, so comfortable, we felt like we were being wecolmed to someone’s home.

The accommodations: Every family or group has their own log cabin – they are charming – big front porch with a view out over the ranch, roomy bedrooms, and a sitting room with a wood stove. Not pseudo-ranch, Ralph Lauren fancy, but true western cozy and comfortable. The meals are served in the dining hall – a beautiful old log structure, huge fireplace and sitting area on one end. The food was varied and delicious – for all diets. My husband and son are meat eaters, I am more of a vegetarian. We were all very happy.

The riding: And now for the best part – the riding – it was truly unbelievable. We rode each day in small groups – about 6 – 8 guests with a wrangler/guide – either half day rides or all day rides. The wranglers are the real deal. They are helpful (giving you pointers and suggestions on riding,) they really know the area - the flowers, the mountains, the history, and most of all they are really fun! The all day rides are amazing – you travel far and high into the National Wilderness areas, including some days into the far northern parts of Yellowstone. It is beautiful. Big Sky. Glorious views. Open meadows. Wildflowers. Really beautiful. We saw elk, moose, bear, deer, hawks, eagles, huge owls, and we saw them in their own habitat. On one ride we encountered a herd of elk - mothers and babies who were calling to each other - it was amazing. Yes, you are tired at the end of the day, and the first few days your butt is a bit achy. But it is worth it. Hang in there – by day 3 the aches have worked their way out.

The riding and kids: While we rode with other adults, our son rode with the peanuts - kids roughly his age. Okay, so let’s talk about that. As a mom of an only child, I was anxious about not riding with our son. Yes, I am one of those parents who want to know where my kid is at all times. So I was anxious about this. The first morning is a family ride, we rode altogether, and I have to say, I spent most of that ride focused on my kid – how was he doing, was he having fun, those sorts of things. After that ride, he rode with the kids and we rode with the adults, and let’s just say – Elkhorn knows what they are doing. Our son had a sense of freedom, a sense of ownership, a sense of self that I can honestly say I had not seen before. You could see it in all the kids – they got to run around, ride, play, laugh, without their parents looking on and hanging on. They were supervised at all times (but they didn’t know it) by wranglers and peanut butter mothers (20+ year olds) who they looked up to and adored. The kids had an absolute blast! No other way to put it. When they weren’t riding and in the evenings after dinner, the kids all play volleyball, softball, frisbee, or made up games, again with the wranglers and peanut butter mothers and sometimes parents joined in. It was like camp – lots of laughter, activity and fun.

The horses: It’s important to know that Elkhorn has its own horses, they raise their own horses, they train their own horses. The focus on horse temperment and safety is evident. The horses are sure footed, of course, but more importantly there are sure tempered. Each of us fell in love with our horse, signing its praises over all others and hoping we would get the same horse when we returned for another year.

The people: The staff and crew at Elkhorn are wonderful. They are friendly, open, smiling people who really want to make sure you enjoy your stay. You’ll get to know them by name (and they will definitely know yours) and at the end of the week you will have made new friends.

The guests: What I never really thought about in planning our trip was the other guests and I should have, because they make a difference. Many of the guests at Elkhorn have been coming back for years. There is a sense of caring about the ranch and the people that the guests share along with the staff. At night, people invite each other over to their porch and share a beer (or whatever they have brought along) together. You meet people on your rides and by that evening you are sitting together on someone’s porch sharing a drink, a laugh, a good time. The closest I can compare this experience to is overnight camp (in a good way.) By the time our two weeks had come to a close, we all felt we had made new friends who we will see again. It was the best.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Malvern, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

In 1984 we decided it was time to take our young family west and began talking to friends about dude ranches. We decided on the Elkhorn Ranch in south western Montana , located about an hour south of Bozeman and right on the northwest corner of Yellowstone National Park. We arrived as total east coast neophytes outfitted with new jeans, borrowed equipment and lots of excitement. It turned out to be a total success and Elkhorn has been a key part of our summer plans ever since. Now we are thrilled to be able to share this special place with our grandchildren.

What's not to love - A beautiful mountain wilderness surrounds you. In early summer the high mountain meadows abound with colorful wild flowers and perhaps a herd of elk, a black bear or moma grizz and her cubs, a moose ora variety of other wild critters. An experienced crew guides you through each day and attends to your every need. Surefooted, carefully selected horses carry you along gurgling mountain steams an up beautiful mountain trails until at 10,000 you feel like you are riding on the top of the world. Amazing fly fishing is just outside the gate. Great hiking is just outside your door not only at the ranch, but also in Yellowstone Park. And of course, you meet interesting fellow guests both young and old that through the years become like extended family.

Family rides start each week and can be arranged later in the week if the kids are willing. More often however, each day the children (or Peanuts as they are known) join other children under the careful supervision of the Peanut Butter Mothers for a ride to the Peanut Fort, the bear caves, Sunshine Mountain, a lesson in trotting or loping, a picnic by the river and often a chance to swim on hot summer days, or just an afternoon playing games at the ranch or swimming in the pond. Teenagers ride off into the mountains with their wrangler eager to go as far and as fast as they can. All the while, parents and grandparents are free to ride, fish read, or just spend a quiet day around the ranch knowing that the children are having a blast under careful supervision.

Every family has their own rustic, but comfortable log cabin. Their great porch provides a perfect place to hang up your hat, curl up with a good book, take a nap or gather at the end of the day with friends and family to share a drink and tales of the day. On cool mornings a crew member comes by to light a fire in the pot belly stove to warm the cabin before it's time for your feet to hit the floor. Excellent varied meals are served buffet style in the common dining hall or out on the trail.

Elkhorn Ranch - try it. It truly is a very special place!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Elkhorn Ranch? Share your experiences!