“Best week ever spent Anywhere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nine Quarter Circle Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gallatin Gateway
Nine Quarter Circle Ranch
5000 Taylor Fork Road, Gallatin Gateway, Big Sky, MT 59730   |
chorley
“Best week ever spent Anywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a beautiful ranch in a remote setting away from mobile signal, tv and all modern distractions. We spent the week riding well behaved responsive horses through breathtaking mountain scenery with knowledgeable wranglers who kept us safe and very entertained.Three delicious hearty meals served all together with other guests added to our enjoyment and individual needs were well catered for. Kim and Kelsey who own the ranch make everyone really welcome. We went on an evening ride to a barbecue , and did a square dance in the hay barn which was great fun. The cabins are cosy with traditional quilt bed covers and wood burning stoves. I would recommend this place to couples friends or families ( the baby sitting facilities are excellent for young kids!) you don't need to be a rider to enjoy this As full instruction is given and non riders were loping along happily by the end of the week. Go and enjoy!!

Room Tip: All lovely
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Our 18 year old daughter chose Nine Quarter Circle Ranch as the destination of our family vacation and we were not disappointed! Setting several miles off the main highway, you feel as if you are in a different world. Our quaint cabin was comfortable and filled with hand crafted furniture and bedding and a wood-burning stove for those cool mornings. The staff was super friendly and committed to making our stay memorable. We were worried about having our family split at meal times with the kids eating at a different table. But that only helped us meet all the amazing people who were at the ranch with us. And we did not go hungry! The meals were delicious, plentiful had such variety. The scenery was breathtaking! Being able at any moment to gaze out at the mountains or hear the sounds of the Taylor Creek from the porch of our cabin was such a luxury! The trail rides into the mountains and forests of the ranch were dream adventures, and the wildflowers were so plentiful! The Kelsey family does such a wonderful job of hosting a week of memory making activities, I can see why families return year after year! We hated to leave! It was truly a most unforgettable week!

Woodbury, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I spent the week of July 7th to 14th at the ranch with two daughters, two sons in law and four grandchildren ages 12 to 19. I had been a guest there 55 years ago and worked there 54 years ago. Life sort of got in the way of me returning earlier but I finally made it back!! The ranch is beautifully maintained, but in all other aspects it was unchanged....much to my delight. The Kelsey's are wonderful hosts, and the employees are consistently cheerful, friendly and helpful. The horses were well trained and beautiful, making our rides into the beautiful flower covered high meadows a real pleasure. Even the family members who never ride horses, are still raving about how much fun it was, and even the two teen aged boys signed up for riding every day. The food was excellent, plentiful and beautifully presented. We sat with our family for breakfast but changed to different tables to get acquainted with other guests during lunch and dinner. The number of guests makes it feel like a family after just a few meals. The happy hour before dinner was also a great time to get better acquainted with our fellow guests. Our guys really enjoyed learning how to fly fish, and after practicing in the trout pond, tried their luck in the Taylor Fork River right there on site. While there were plenty of activities to keep us busy, we also enjoyed the serenity of the beautiful valley and especially appreciated that there were no t.v.s, phones, or cell phone service. My only regret was that there is some wi fi and a few of the family spent some time on their I phones. I realize that wi fi is a necessity for the ranch, but next time we go back, I think that I will hide all I phones. I can't say enough about this wonderful place!!!! It is now items one through twenty on my bucket list to return again.

Room Tip: All of the cabins are nice. They are clean and are serviced daily. All beds have home made quilts...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
9QuarterCircle, Manager at Nine Quarter Circle Ranch, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
We LOVE having past guests and employees return to visit, and to find that the ranch is very much like it always has been. Providing that continuity and reviving past memories is a large part of our goals. Thank-you for spending time with us and introducing the ranch to the next generation.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We wanted someplace scenic. Check.
We wanted someplace authentic. Check.
We wanted someplace fun. Check.
What we got was so much more!!!!!
We drove to Nice Quarter Circle Ranch from California, and the closer we got, the more spectacular the scenery. How nice that Teton National Park and Yellowstone just happened to be on the way. We couldn't believe how lucky we were when driving up the river valley from West Yellowstone we actually got to turn in to "our" driveway and stay in the middle of the most beautiful place ever. As we drove toward the ranch on the 5 mile drive along the Taylor Fork River, we were speechless. And then we saw it. A gorgeous ranch in its own little valley.

We were greeted very warmly, shown to our awesome cabin, and given a rundown of the place. We took a walk and marveled at this wonderful place we had found. The week officially began with the evening happy hour where we met our hosts. Kim, Kelly and Kameron were fantastic- fun, knowledgeable, friendly and the real deal. You immediately feel the history of the place. Then the dinner bell rang and we were off to the gorgeous lodge. Amazing fireplaces, and trophy animals lining the walls. Then great food, breads, fruit, coffee, desserts. We loved the food all week. The kitchen staff was very pleasant and so accommodating. I really enjoyed the bell they rang each meal time. So nice to hear that bell 3 times a day, calling us in for another wonderful meal.
The next morning the riding began. The horses are unbelievable. I've ridden all my life. My own horses and plenty of "rental" horses. These were unlike either. They're the real deal as well. These horses live on thousands of acres, and are rounded up every spring. They're happy and healthy and sturdy and sweet. They're obedient and gentle. Some of the guests were not experienced, and some of us were. They matched us up with the right horses, and they were happy to switch if anybody wanted to. I loved my horse, but ended up riding another one mid week. Then I kept riding that one. It was better than a candy store.
And we loved the wranglers. Very capable young people working under a seasoned head wrangler and the Kelsey family. The wranglers lead all the rides, but they were more than that. They were knowledgeable guides and funny and friendly and tailored each ride to the desires of the group. They kept everybody safe, and offered local lore and flora and fauna identification along the way. We really enjoyed getting to know each one.
Off the ranch, I went alone on a river raft trip one day. How great to have that just down the road. It was a great river trip.
Speaking of river, it was so nice sitting on the porch of our cabin looking out at the little valley and the grand mountains and the river and hearing the river rushing past the ranch.
Oh yeah, the fly fishing- whether in the pond or the river, the equipment furnished and an expert guide/teacher. And watching the little trout trying to get upstream. So fun.
This review is already too long. Here's a summary:
GREAT horses, people, scenery, food, activities, staff, gift shop, cabins, location, fly fishing, hiking, etc etc etc. The week flew by.
Absolutely recommend Nine Quarter Circle!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank-you so much for the great review! We are always happy to hear that we met and exceeded expectations. We take great pride in providing not just wholesome meals, but enjoyable and pleasing ones as well. And, our horses spend their lives here in the mountains and so feel completely "at home" on the trails. We are glad that they also added to your enjoyment.
Bend, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My parents brought me here 3 times in the 70's and I finally returned this summer. It has not changed one bit! It is beautiful place. I thought I'd get a lot of reading in, but I'd catch myself staring at the scenery surrounding us. I hadn't been on a horse since I was 10 years old so I did the beginner rides most of the week. My two teenage boys had never really been on a horse. My oldest was riding advanced by the end of the week. The wildflowers were so pretty on the rides. There are so many trails, you get to see different views every ride. My favorite part was the food. The bell rings and everyone heads up to the lodge on the hill. I loved not having to cook all week. For lunch, for example, I would have been happy with the delicious soup, but the food kept coming - sandwiches, fruit, bread with homemade jam, and a different type of cookie every day. I looked forward to every meal. The staff was so friendly and helpful. My two boys made friends right away and they played cards, rode horses, and played in the playground that I used to play on as a kid. The people we met there were wonderful, and there's something special about never getting out a cell phone. My boys - who spend a lot of time playing video games - got to feel what it's like to just hang-out and make their own fun without technology as a distraction. It felt so strange at the end of the week when I had to grab my purse and keys... Some of our favorite parts of the week included daily rides, the square dance, the "dinner ride," taking the old 1930's bus to a special happy hour, racing up Lincoln, the baseball game, the hayride, daily happy hour, the barbeque, the "games on horseback- Gym Khana" that the kids and adults participate in, etc. And the amazing part is that these special traditions were exactly the same as when I was a kid. The Kelsey family is doing an incredible job of keeping the experience just the same - priceless! I sure hope to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank-you so much for your review and memories! One of our most favorite things is to have guests return after so many years and find things just as wonderful as they remember. And, to also be able to introduce the ranch to a new generation allows us all to extend the memories and traditions. We hope to see you all back again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our family has been to Europe, South America, Hawaii and many other U.S. states, and yet we were blown away by the beauty that is 9 Quarter Circle Ranch. We settled into our cozy cabin for days of unplugged fun and laughter under the wild Montana sky, and we won't soon forget the hospitality of the Kelsey family, the friendliness and warmth of the entire staff, and the peaceful and beautiful horses. We were able to experience so many new and exciting moments together: my 3-year-old went riding on a horse for the very first time, my 12-year-old son gained new horsemanship skills, and together we went hiking, climbed a mountain, and more. We were able to truly relax in the unplugged environment, and enjoy unhurried, delicious (!!!) meals while making new friends from around the world. We hope to return next year!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
9QuarterCircle, Manager at Nine Quarter Circle Ranch, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank-you for your great review! We always feel honored to make 1st introductions between children and horses. It is often the start of a great, lifelong, passion. And, feeding and caring for our guests is OUR passion. We hope to see you all back here again in the future. :)
Stevensville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We selected the 9 Quarter Circle Ranch experience for our 3 generation family vacation to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary in late June, 2013. Ages ranged from 2 1/2 to 73 years including two teenagers. During our stay, the owners, Kim and Kelley Kelsey, and their staff treated us more like family than as paying guests.

We opted for a 4 bedroom, 3 bath rustic cabin to accommodate our extended family. The large central bedroom with a useful stone fireplace facilitated communal use. Covering each bed was a lovely hand-made quilt—a warm and homey touch.

We enjoyed the horse-back riding overseen by helpful and capable wranglers. Jeff, the corral boss who emphasized safety, briefed us on their herd, the riding experience, and the simple rules to respect their horses. The herd numbers in excess of 100 Appaloosas—known for being sure-footed on the mountain trails. While we rode, our youngest family member age 2 ½ participated in their children’s program that allowed his mother to ride each day and to enjoy the evening adult-only Happy Hour and meal. We enjoyed activities including fly fishing, Square dancing, a cookout, cocktail hour at a beautiful home on the property, a hay ride, and marshmallows at the camp fire. When we opted for an off-property white-water rafting trip, the kitchen prepared a tasty picnic lunch for us.

Hearty meals were offered family style with the Kelseys joining us at each meal and for the preceding Happy Hour. Of historical note, Gary Cooper dedicated the central dining hall and lounge that contained 2 large rooms flanked by 100 ton fireplaces.

Lastly, the setting of the ranch at 7,000 feet elevation on the northern edge of Yellowstone Park, and the natural, unspoiled beauty of the scenery thrilled us. A tributary of the Gallatin River ran through the property. It couldn’t have been more beautiful. It was a wonderful experience for all of our various age groups. We came away feeling the ranch provided a wonderful venue to celebrate our special wedding anniversary.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We love hosting family gatherings - both big and small! And, because you are joining us here at our home, we DO try to treat every guest as family. We certainly look forward to seeing your family back for future celebrations!

Been to Nine Quarter Circle Ranch? Share your experiences!