“Go for the restaurant and stay for the views!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 320 Guest Ranch

Save Saved
You added 320 Guest Ranch to your Saves list
320 Guest Ranch
3.0 of 5 Ranch   |   205 Buffalo Horn Creek, Mile Marker 36, Hwy 191, Gallatin Gateway, Big Sky, MT 59716   |
Edmonton, Canada
“Go for the restaurant and stay for the views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

Sorry I'm late on posting, but just now got around to supporting 320 Ranch with a review. We lucked into this place when we were looking for a room for the night after arriving in Yellowstone National Park via Jackson Hole. We thought we could find a place easily since we were travelling after the long weekend in September. All accommodation in Yellowstone National Park is booked solid so you have to plan ahead. We phoned the 800 number for tourist accommodation in the area, and because we had a small bichon schituze dog, we needed a place that accepted animals. They booked us into 320 Ranch which is 30 minutes north from the west entrance of Yellowstone Park. A beautiful scenic drive up the valley and I must admit I was worried about the accommodation since it is a dude ranch. We were pleasantly surprised to get a cabin backing on the hill overlooking the valley. Big porch and very roomy. Absolutley no complaints about the room. What I did find amusing was my question about whether there was a restaurant on the site. The owner when he checked us in said sure, do you want me to make a reservation. I thought he was kidding since the place did not look booked up but I said sure. We got to the rustic cabin that has the lounge on one side but through leads into the main dining area. We had a super waitress, Annie?, who chatted us up the whole night and was a lot of fun. I'm very pleased to advise that we had a 4 star meal at that restaurant. From a really good wine list, appetizers and main plus a fantastic desert and coffee, everything was superb. This is not a sandwich place or a hamburger joint, this is a hidden gem of a fantastic restaurant with some very talented chefs. Due to the off season, and a minor mixup with our reservation via the 800 number, we got the room for $100 night. The dinner tab was $160 with the two bottles of great wine we had. No regrets at all, we woiuld have paid more. And then we found out that the room came with breakfast in the morning. Another great meal with eggs, bacon, sausage and all the cold stuff and cereal you would want. We drove away back into the Park for one last day and left via the north entrance. We kept talking about what a fantastic surprise and jewel 320 Ranch is for days. Frankly I would go out of my way to stay there if I was travelling in the area. You would not be disappointed. My wife is alergic to horses, but we had no problems since the horses are kept at a distance from the cabins and the area is very large and spacious. We are planning on returning for a short vacation wherein we can rent some quads and go fly fishing back in the hills. And then enjoy dining in that fantastic restaurant each night. Thanks 320 Ranch for the best surprise and night of our holidays last year. We will be back!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

Recently stayed at the 320 for a wedding. We shared a riverfront cabin with another couple and there was plenty of room. The cabin was clean, well appointed, and was definately in the best location on the ranch. Breakfast was included with room, and was always hearty! (not lo-cal!)

The ranch is in a great location just outside of Yellowstone, and minutes from Big Sky. Two area's for improvement- there is no cell service at the ranch (this may be beyond their control), and the only wi-fi is at the resort office.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the 320 Guest Ranch. The location seems remote but is a 15-minute ride to "town" (Big Sky). The countryside is gorgeous with mountain and canyon views along the Gallatin River for miles and miles. The rooms were cozy and the food was great. The staff was friendly and helpful. There are plenty of activities to enjoy or you can just sit back and take it easy. Don't miss the Monday evening BBQ or the Wednesday evening hayride/cookout cowboy-style down by the river. The only down-side for me is that there is no internet access and no cell phone coverage until you get to Big Sky. So, it's really a place to get away from it all!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

For some time we have wanted to visit a dude ranch in Montana but were put off by the high per person pricing and the requirement that you spend an entire week, which is the norm at so many of the ranches. I am not a horse lover (although other members of my family are) and it just did not make sense to me to pay up to $3,000 per person for a week at a ranch.So, the 320 was a perfect compromise for us.

Recently we stayed at the 320 Ranch after a week in Jackson Hole, and it really worked out well and we had a good time. We only stayed for three days, and were able to do fly fishing and horse riding on an "a la carte" basis which suited us fine.

We stayed in one of the two bedroom riverfront cabins, and there was plenty of space and clean, somewhat basic but comfortable furnishings. We had a very good time on the trail rides (it's true, the horses only walk but that's all I could manage anyway - my kids did a private lesson wherein they trotted and did more but that is way more than I wanted from a horse!) - All of the staff was friendly and nice and it felt very comfortable and not too fake or overly commercial. It's in a beautiful setting (although right off the road) and gave us just what we were looking for.

• Liked — Lovely setting, nice people
  • Disliked — Beds could be more comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Galena, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

Loved it! My husband,18 year old son, 20 year old daughter(now living in Missoula) and I went there for 3 nights. Great place and great people, from the trail guides(Becky was very good)to our fly fishing guide(David)and all the staff in between, They all seem to genuinely love this place(can't blame them)and have a personal interest in making it suceed. Nice breakfast with some hot food in the morning included in the price, one morning it was eggs bacon and sausage along with the usual fruit and cereals and the food was wonderful altho only open for breakfast and dinner. Had a great sandwich for dinner one night in the bar area and a fantastic steak another. Our lodge was beautiful, with a full kitchen and plenty of room for all(rams head lodge, I think was the name)and included a grill which we made some fantastic steaks we picked up in West Yellowstone one night. We did the half day trail ride and it was beautiful!!!Also fly fishing on the pond was perfect for us beginners, especailly as the Gallentin was too rough and high for good fishing. Great whitewater rafting tho.Good luck to the 320 and the staff(Annie you were great, and Daniel in the bar is a very nice guy)you would be hard-pressed to find a nicer place with a nicer bunch.

Stayed June 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2008

The 320 Ranch is a ranch-like motel. There are horses on site, but you have to pay additional fees to ride them. They run the horses through the middle of the ranch 2x/day which is pretty cooI. I went on a "ride" which was a REALLY boring slow walk with REALLY grumpy trail guides. We saw some moose and the views were amazing, but I would have preferred to have an opportunity to canter or trot during the ride. There is a fishing shack on site, but you have to pay additional fees to rent fishing gear. I wound up using a different outfit off site that was cheaper AND willing to pick me up & drop me back off. The food was good at the ranch, but expensive. The bar is small and totally filled with the ranch staff and their friends at night. The cabins are duplex-style and very roomy and comfortable. Lots of extra room and I loved the additional vanity provided next to the closet. The bed was super comfortable and the views from the front porch were gorgeous. The housekeeping staff only comes around every two days, unless you call and make a specific request. There is a hot tub, but it was totally out of commission the whole time we were there. They have a great website and I think this property has a lot of potential, due to its' proximity to Yellowstone National Park and Big Sky Ski Resort. Before you book with The 320, make sure to ask what is included with the room rate. Make sure to go to Yellowstone. That park is one of the most magnificent, incredible, spectacular, beautiful places on Mother Earth. No joke. Take your time and plan your visit over a series of days. Once you get back from Yellowstone, there is nothing to do at the ranch at night, so be prepared to create your own entertainment. There are some local bars & resturants that are fun, but you will need your own car to get there.

• Liked — Proximity to Yellowstone National Park
  • Disliked — Kind of boring
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
007girl2
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2007

I've been on cowboy trails and unique western camping trips and recently stayed at the 320 Guest Ranch. We stayed for one weekend in October as autumn is my favorite season although it is beautiful in Montana every season. The log cabins are rustic and beautifully construsted. The rooms have fireplaces that made for a warm, cozy night after all the fun activities which consisted mainly of horse back riding which is the main reason we went. We did a 2 hour ride and thoroughly enjoyed it along with the excellent cowboy food. The whole experience was a "TEN". 320 Guest Ranch rules and so do the cowboys and cowgirls there. Great bunch of people and I plan to do it again.

YD

• Liked — The staff, the scenery and the horsback riding
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything. I never expect perfection when I plan to be in the wilderness, but it was comfortable and very pleasant.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to 320 Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!