“Fantastic and I wish I was still there.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Covered Wagon Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gallatin Gateway
Covered Wagon Ranch
You added Covered Wagon Ranch to your Saves list
34035 Gallatin Road, Gallatin Gateway, Big Sky, MT 59730   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Fantastic and I wish I was still there.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

I stayed at the CWR for 3 nights with my 60-something parents and my sister. We all wished it could have been a longer stay because we had such a fantastic time. The staff couldn't have been nicer, the food was great, and the place is beautiful.

The riding was the high point. The views and the wildlife made it amazing, and the horses were really well-behaved. I've stayed on other ranches in the US and been disappointed with the riding which is often pretty slow, but the wranglers at the CWR were happy to listen to us about what kind of rides we wanted to do once they'd had a chance to see how well we could stick in the saddle.

We really appreciated that and all of the other attention to detail that Debi, JT, Annette, Boone and all the staff gave (including very kindly sending on a forgotten item after we left). If you want to be well-looked after, stay at the CWR.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

My family has spent a week at the Covered Wagon Ranch every summer since 2002. This ranch excels in hospitality and horses. When you stay at the ranch, you become a member of the family. Individual needs are their top priority. The staff and owners strive to make your week a "once in a lifetime" experience that you can repeat, year after year.

The horses are sure and steady and are perfect for any level rider.

Montana excels with amazing views, amazing wildlife, and trail rides that offer new experiences every time. As my dad says, there aren't any bad views!

If you are looking for a pesonalized experience, check out the Covered Wagon Ranch! JT and Debi and Jeremy and Darlene will take of you!

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
atlanta, georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

This was a wonderful vacation for two people who love to ride. Great horses, wranglers and views. Not a fussy dude ranch. Great food and wonderful friendly staff. The cabin was comfortable and not too rustic. This is no spa but a wonderful place to ride and see the gorgeous Montana country.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Aichtal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

We are a couple from Germany, as horseback riders dreaming for once in a life time riding through the open range in Montana like you always see in the movies. We wanted a real experience and no nose to tail riding with 20 other riders on a everyday used trail. We weren't disappointed! Awesome wranglers (thanks Lee and Val!), healthy lovely horses, beautiful landscape and a beautiful ranch. You feel like a invited friend, not as a guest and so you ride and you eat together. Once a week there is a cook-out on the property with bison-steaks and burgers, the other days hearty delicous meals.
There are trails for every kind of riding experience and the wrangler have an open ear for you and what you want to experience the next day! Our cabin was just the way we wanted it, not one of those new looking clean things but a dark wooded comfy nice furnished log cabin like we wished to have, with a wood-stove in it. We can recommend fully and would love to come back again...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

My mom and I decided to do a last-minute mother/daughter trip in July. After doing some quick research we decided on a dude ranch, and specifically on the Covered Wagon Ranch based on things we had read online. Although we wished the ranch was set back away from the main road further, you forget about that road almost immediately. We were amazed and almost saddened when we first arrived because we were the ONLY guests there for the first 3 days! We wondered who we would talk to at meals and we felt bad that the staff would have to go out of their way to "entertain" us. Well, our concerns were shoved out the barn door right away! Everyone was incredible nice! As true Yankees, we were almost taken aback at first at how sweet and warm everyone was! But we quickly learn to love that :) The staff make this place the perfect retreat it is. Each person is unique and wonderful. Since we were the only guests, we got to know all of the staff pretty quick and started to actually feel like one of them. The Wranglers are amazing! We LOVED all of them, although there is a soft spot in my heart especially for Lee and Val! We enjoyed our rides immensely. We rode each days except one (we went into Yellowstone one day and wished we had been riding instead - you can see it all with NO crowds on horseback!). Neither my mom nor I had been on a horse in well over 10 years, but they paired us up with the right mounts and we quickly re-learned. The scenery was amazing, the camaraderie endearing and the cabins quaint and comfortable. All-in-all, one heck of an amazing trip and a great bonding experience. Being inspired, I have since taken up riding again (although in the dreaded English saddle) and we are already planning a large family reunion for a couple of years from now (when the kids are old enough). Val, if you are reading this: I've been "loping" my heart out in my lessons!

• Stayed July 2009
Syracuse, New YOrk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

This was a dream come true. Amazing people at the Covered Wagon Ranch, top notch service and friendliness and perfect accommodations. The cabins were quaint and beautifully decorated. The horses are the best and well cared for and trained. Wranglers were top notch in showing us the magnificense of Montana. It far exceeded my dreams. Highly recommend this wonderful place for the horse lovers out there who would love to see an up close and personal Montana and experience a true adventure.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

We searched for the ultimate horseback riding experience in Montana and our dream came true! CW is a small ranch and they own their own horses so they are very well cared for and you are matched with a horse of your ability. Mine was Reno and did I feel lucky! The trails and scenery are awesome; beautiful mountains, meadows, wildflowers, creeks and more. Their experienced wranglers not only teach you how to have a better ride and care for your horse, but they also take you to a different trail each day so guests can experience adventures and views that will last a lifetime. We rode all day for five days in a small group and each day the views got better. Customer service is exceptional; the very warm and caring staff made us feel like family and our vacation was so relaxing. The food is delicious, fresh baked cookies and breads were my favorite. A buffet breakfast each morning , lunch in the lodge or packed for the trail and dinner is served family style with other guests and staff. We kept saying "we can't believe we are here" it was so awesome! Thanks for the great memories CW, we'll be back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Covered Wagon Ranch? Share your experiences!