“Outstanding from beginning to end” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Covered Wagon Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gallatin Gateway
Covered Wagon Ranch
You added Covered Wagon Ranch to your Saves list
34035 Gallatin Road, Gallatin Gateway, Big Sky, MT 59730   |
Syracuse, New YOrk
“Outstanding from beginning to end”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

This was a dream come true. Amazing people at the Covered Wagon Ranch, top notch service and friendliness and perfect accommodations. The cabins were quaint and beautifully decorated. The horses are the best and well cared for and trained. Wranglers were top notch in showing us the magnificense of Montana. It far exceeded my dreams. Highly recommend this wonderful place for the horse lovers out there who would love to see an up close and personal Montana and experience a true adventure.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

We searched for the ultimate horseback riding experience in Montana and our dream came true! CW is a small ranch and they own their own horses so they are very well cared for and you are matched with a horse of your ability. Mine was Reno and did I feel lucky! The trails and scenery are awesome; beautiful mountains, meadows, wildflowers, creeks and more. Their experienced wranglers not only teach you how to have a better ride and care for your horse, but they also take you to a different trail each day so guests can experience adventures and views that will last a lifetime. We rode all day for five days in a small group and each day the views got better. Customer service is exceptional; the very warm and caring staff made us feel like family and our vacation was so relaxing. The food is delicious, fresh baked cookies and breads were my favorite. A buffet breakfast each morning , lunch in the lodge or packed for the trail and dinner is served family style with other guests and staff. We kept saying "we can't believe we are here" it was so awesome! Thanks for the great memories CW, we'll be back!

Bay Area, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

My stay on the ranch was wonderful. From the minute I drove up, I was made to feel like family. Dinners are family style, and as a solo traveler, it was wonderful to be in a warm fun atmosphere with new friends. The riding was unbelievable. I rode for 6 days, never repeated a trail, and the views from each ride were equally spectacular and different. I can also say that each staff member was fantastic. It really didn't matter who took you out riding, the wranglers were all knowledgeable and fun to be with. I'm definitely booking again next year.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Shepherd
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

The ranch is rustic yet tastefully decorated with the finest in Western decor. My first visit at a guest ranch and could not have been more pleased with the fine meals, pleasant and helpful servers. They strive to accommodate their guests and my stay there was a very relaxing and pleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I loved the Covered Wagon! Even before we arrived, the staff was friendly and responsive in emails and phone calls. The ranch is easy to find off the highway and very pleasantly rustic. The cabins were comfortable and there was a jar of fresh wildflowers by my bed when I arrived. The food is delicious and hearty (now that I'm home on I'm a big diet!). Every Friday evening dinner is a cook-out; otherwise we all ate at a big table in the lodge. The owners and staff ate with us and we had some great conversations and stories. The owners and staff are a small, close-knit group who clearly care about each other, and their guests. The horses are well-trained and lots of fun, and the wranglers who lead the rides are also well-trained, friendly, knowledgeable and clearly love what they do. All I did at the ranch was ride, so I can't say much about its other activities, but I wish I was still there and riding the trails! This area of Montana is stupendously beautiful and not to be missed. There were about 10 other guests when I was there, and they were all outgoing and fun. There weren't any kids but the staff told me that families frequently do bring kids and there are plenty of kid-friendly horses and shorter rides to accommodate them. I know that I would have loved this place as a kid.

Tips on things to bring for riding: layers of clothing (the weather is unpredictable and I used everything from short-sleeves to a heavy coat), a hat, sunscreen, riding gloves, a camera, and an extra water bottle. The horses have saddlebags so you can bring a few personal things along with the yummy bag lunch the ranch will give you. I'm allergy-prone so if you are too, take some claratin or something similar, a few pieces of kleenex (also handy after the lunchtime pee break in the woods), and be prepared to have a layer of trail dust up your nose by the end of the day. The ranch doesn't serve beer or wine, but if you bring your own, they're glad to give you a cooler of ice and wineglasses and a corkscrew.

Go now! You'll have a great time.

Southern England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

Like many we used the web to find a suitable ranch. From the very first e-mail response it was apparent that service was a key attribute of The Covered Wagon and it only ever got better. We are not experienced riders but went out on different trails every day, including on our arrival day and each has its own views and attributes. Every member of the ranch team makes you feel so welcome it makes it hard to leave. The food is plentiful and excellent, the cabins nice and cosy, the horses you'll fall in love with. We were told stories of people being in tears when it came to leave and there is no shame in admitting that we can sympathise with that. Thoroughly recommend The Covered Wagon and we hope to return one day.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

Words cannot capture the beauty that is Montana or really explain what an amazing time my mom and I had during the week we spent at the Covered Wagon Ranch. Not only was the food and location wonderful, but the staff and fellow visitors made this probably the most memorable trip for my mom and I. Whether you're an experienced rider or just learning, the staff and wranglers make you feel comfortable and do their best to provide you with unforgettable rides and some of the best scenery.

There's no nose-to-tail riding and each day can be spent on a different trail. You can decide the morning of whether you want a full or half day ride and feel free to ask the staff for trail suggestions depending on what you want to see or what type of riding you want to do. Also, if you are in need of a mid-week break, Yellowstone is about 30 minutes away and a must see addition to your traveler's itinerary.

And last but not least, the horses at CWR were great! If you get the chance, make sure not to miss the wranglers bring the herd either down or back up the mountain. A truly incredible sight.

Thank you all and we hope to see you in July 2010!
~Ally and Maureen

• Stayed July 2009

Been to Covered Wagon Ranch? Share your experiences!