“Perfect Weekend Getaway!” 5 of 5 stars

290 Izaak Walton Inn Rd, Essex, MT 59916   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
“Perfect Weekend Getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I took advantage of the Groupon deal the Izaac Walton had participated in. We had stayed here about six years ago and had always wanted to go back. Our experience was everything we were looking for and so much more. From our first encounter with an employee to the last; everybody was so welcoming and friendly. Even when asked questions that I'm sure they hear multiple times a day, they were eager to help and made our stay seamless. We ate at the in-house restaurant 4 times. Twice for dinner, once for breakfast, and once for lunch. Each meal was fantastic and the service superb! I definitely recommend the huckleberry cobbler for dessert.

We enjoyed everything about our stay; the clean and quiet room, the basement bar filled with history, games, and drinks ;), and the amazing staff. We even got out on some snowshoes (first time for both of us). Some helpful suggestions from a staff member brought us to a groomed path that took us down to the river. Our hike was such a great way to take in some of the beautiful Glacier scenery. Thank you, we will be back! A special shoutout to servers Ben and Sydney, and bartenders Kelly and Brian.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Kalispell, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Found this hotel while talking with locals and tourists in Kalispell. It is well known in the area and lived up to the praise! Upon check in Daniel at the front desk was helpful and accommodating. After settling into my very cool and historical room, I ventured downstairs for dinner. I have eaten at some very fine restaurants across the United States and this is now in my top ten! The menu you would not expect in Glacier National Park. My dinner was outstanding! Evert aspect of the meal was awesome! From the service, to the food, to the price for this quality of meal was a worthy of national review. I am told the Chef Jason is the culinary commander for this property and 3 others. Can't wait to try the 3 others this summer.

The next morning at breakfast was as equally amazing. This is beyond breakfast. Chef Jason has also kicked it up a notch to the delight of myself and the many diners I talked with that morning. The Director of Operations for the Izaak and the other 3 properties in this company introduced himself to me this morning during breakfast. David took time out of his day to talk with me and explain about the Izaak and their sister properties. How many times has a person in that position in a company stopped and taken the time to talk with a guest he has never seen before. I can see why David and his team are so successful.

If your within 500 miles of this great historical hotel you need to put it on your itinerary. By the way I am a hospitality manager. I have been in the business a long time and it takes a lot to impress me. THIS hotel impressed me!

Room Tip: Any room is outstanding!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Pacific Northwest, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I took Amtrak from Portland to Essex and was picked up at the train platform by the Inn. A friend was going to go with me, but had to cancel at the last minute. I decided to go it alone and I'm glad I did! I stayed in the Inn, but they have train cars around the property that you can stay in. My room was clean and comfortable and had everything I needed. I was shown a room on the side opposite the tracks and asked to be moved to a room where I could see the trains! The food was good. Among other things: I had a Buffalo T bone steak that was delicious, Reuben sandwich which was really good, and French Toast that was yummy! The staff was friendly and helpful. They were outstanding when it came to dealing with the train delays (caused by crude oil freight trains). My return train was scheduled to leave at 8pm and I think it finally left around 2am.

Room Tip: I hear more trains at home than I did during my stay at the Izaak Walton Inn! I slept with my window...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

My family -- 3 generations of us -- stayed here last May, and loved it. We were on a 24-hr stopover on an Amtrak trip to the West Coast, and wished we'd have been able to stay longer. (I especially recommend May for visiting the area incl. Glacier Park, b/c you have a chance for good weather while beating the coming summer crowds.)

The Inn is great, historic, very comfortable, interesting & comfortable rooms, and very interesting grounds, especially with the train track running in front.

Our kids also loved the vintage playground in back with merry-go-round (same model I grew up with in the '70s), tall slide, and very high swing set -- all of which were in great working order.

We were also able to easily rent a minivan from the Inn, to go into the park.

We're big fans and want to come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed almost a week at the Inn in the middle of winter for a cross country ski vacation. The whole experience was wonderful. It was great to be able to walk to the ski trails from our caboose, which was also close to the Inn. No driving was necessary once we got there. The caboose we stayed in, X215, was great. Absolutely have to compliment the skiing. The trails were well groomed and very enjoyable terrain. Mark, the ski pro was also very gracious in responding to us and making recommendations. Though we didn't take a day tour with him, we observed all levels of tours being offered throughout the week and the price is a great value for a days worth of guided backcountry skiing. Anyone looking for a very relaxing cross country or backcountry ski vacation should absolutely consider Izaak Walton Inn for a unique experience in one of the most beautiful places in the world. And the ability to hop on a train and get off right at the Inn is phenomenal. Though we drove there, I would definitely take the train the next time. It's just too convenient.

Room Tip: Upper bunk in X215 has little headroom but wonderful views outside.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Kalispell, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and I arrived at the Izaak Walton for her birthday weekend. I booked the room through Groupon, and had high expectations! A couple weeks before our stay a representative called my phone to suggest dinner reservations and cross country/back country ski lessons. After telling them we were not able to determine a specific time for dinner because we hadn't finalized what we were going to do during the day, their response was, "We will make sure to get you in."

Upon our arrival I was surprised at how busy it was! The hostess at the front desk was courteous, as was the experience for the weekend. We were given room 15, which is track side. The room was cozy (small), as I expected. I opened up the curtains to find we had a roof line right below our window. This wouldn't be bad in the summer, but there was about 4 feet of snow completely blocking any view of the mountains or train. We literally had no view. I was sorely disappointed in this.

The hotel was built in the 1930's and the sleeping experience is very similar to they year! The heat is via radiator which makes very loud knocking noises throughout the night. The walls are very thin. You can hear people talking plainly in the next room and outside in the hallway. At one point I woke up in a room above us walking to and then using the bathroom. I was surprised at how much noise I could hear through the walls which made it very difficult for me to sleep. My wife did not seem to have the same problem, but she is a deeper sleeper than I am.

We brought our own food the the hotel because we saw the menu prices online beforehand. We did try the restaurant for her birthday dinner and were not very impressed. The prices are high for a mediocre meal. My wife ordered trout, which was overcooked. It was saved by a good hollandaise sauce. I ordered a buffalo prime rib. (This is not normally on the menu). I ordered it medium, but it came much rarer than I expected. It was good meat and I did not request it to be redone. It was placed over top fries which were soggy from the meat on top of it. The service for dinner was good. We did both get a cocktail and dessert. We paid around $80. The bar downstairs is a nice environment with a shuffleboard which we took advantage of. I now want one in my basement. The drinks are fairly reasonably priced and well made.

We did not take any cross country lessons but we did go. The ski passes are included in the price of your room so go out if you are able. We had fun on the trails. I have limited experience and my wife had never gone cross country skiing before. The medium run (blue) was easy enough for us. There were very nice views!

Overall the trip was really nice. Take advantage of everything you can when you are there! There are plenty of places to hike, snowshoe, ski and explore. Just beware this hotel is old and rustic.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Blaine, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We arrived and departed via AMTRAK (that's another story!!). We stayed for 3 nights (actually 4 because of AMTRAK) during the week. Our upstairs room was ready for us even though we arrived mid-morning. Room was very clean and bed comfortable. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner in the restaurant. Food and service was very good (they were not very busy during that week). Only complaint about the food is the dinner menu. It was limited and had waaay to many weird (to us) choices. Why not a simple steak, pasta dish or breast of chicken something-or-other? Staff was incredibly helpful and courteous during our 3 day stay. We had to spend another night there because of Amtrak running ridiculously late (supposed to board westbound at 7:50 PM but did not leave till 4:15ish AM the next morning. The Inn let us stay in our room till the train came. We went for the snowshoeing. Snowed and rained while there but they had groomed the trails. The "Starlight Trail", lighted at night is not to be missed. Recommend all trails, particularly the River Loop Trail on the other side of Hwy 2 (about a 1/2 mile walk to the trail). The maps they give you of the trails are not the best (do not seem to be to scale) but pretty well marked. We will return someday but probably during the spring or fall. All in all, a very nice time in a nice rustic accommodation.

Room Tip: No elevators but we always get an upper floor room. We did get a 2nd floor room but was at the head...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Izaak Walton Inn? Share your experiences!