“The best National Park Lodge experience EVER!” 5 of 5 stars

Izaak Walton Inn
290 Izaak Walton Inn Rd, Essex, MT 59916   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
WHITEFISH
“The best National Park Lodge experience EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I have a special place in my heart for the Izaak Walton. I went there as a teen and had a wonderful time with my family and another. I have been back many other times to ski the trails and eat in the restaurant but I now returned with my husband for a night away that was close to home! They have done some amazing remodels very recently and upgraded many of the public areas. We stayed in a cabin and it was a cozy as can be and would have been comfortable for our family as well.

We had dinner in the dining room - they have a new Chef and the menu id out of this world! Awesome and excellent menu choices including a Pork Shank Osso Bucco that my husband had and the Filet Mignon with Mushroom Risotto which I had. We started our meal with an excellent Caesar salad made with Grilled Romaine - as my husband said "a party in your mouth" and he is not a salad guy. As a salad gal, I can say that I loved it and would return and order it as an entree with chicken at any time I wanted a lighter entree.

Breakfast the next morning was again a delight! My husband had the crab cakes benedict which was excellent. Crab cakes were cooked to perfection and it was a taste sensation! I had a special they were offering with Elk sausage, home made hash brown potatoes with onion and peppers and mushrooms - excellent!

Would go back in a hear beat and highly recommend this amazing hotel. If you want a national park lodge experience - THIS is the place to go - in my opinion this outdoes most any national park lodge in the State.

Love this place and will be back for sure!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Whitefish, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We spend Thanksgiving 2011 in the orange cabose at the Izaak Walton Inn and had their Thanksgiving dinner at the restaurant. From now on this will be our annual 'get away'. I am from Europe and I haven't had a meal this good since I was back home! The staff is friendly and very accomodating and the cabose our abosulte favorite!!! Thank you Brian and Mary and all the staff for the best Thanksgiving I have ever had! See you next year..Mx

Room Tip: Depending on your family: Your children would love the cabins. Couples: you 'need' to book t...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

we spent one night at the Isaac Walton Inn on our way to Glacier National Park. I loved the train theme throughout the Inn. The food was really good too. My husband got the Chicken Fried Steak and I got a grill fish, all was deilicious. The next morning before heaing out we shared a Huckelberry dumpling ala mode with coffee. It was homemade and very very good. Our room was upstairs.Small, clean, warm and comfortable. We would get a larger room with a bigger bed next time. The gift shop had lots of good deals. We bought a nice sweat shirt for husband.
Sat on the back patio swing overlooking a beautiful landscaped yard with colorful September trees. Train track in front and back.
We are planning on making another trip out that way again and plan on including this Inn as part of the trip again.
I would highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We spent three nights at the Izaak Walton Inn and stayed in the GN441 Locomotive and loved it. We thought that the decorations and appointments were very nice. The locomotive was very comfortable and relaxing to stay in, especially if you are a rail fan.

There were only two issues that I had with the room and one was that there was a “suspicious” stain (you can guess what) on the pillow sham on the bed and that in the three days there was no housekeeping in the room. That was a little disappointing for a $300.00 a night room, we had to ask for additional towels as we ran out and all the dirty ones were on the bathroom floor.

It appeared that the hotel was a little understaffed, as we were there between seasons and at the inn’s slowest time of the year. Although that nice in the fact that the inn was not busy and was very quite and made for quick service when at the dinning car restaurant.

Even with these few issues I would definitely stay in the GN441 again. This is definitely a place to disconnect from the world, no phones, TV, Radio or Computers, and if you know that going into your stay and that is what you ate looking for you will love the place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Henley-on-Thames
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I didn't stay at the hotel but we had lunch in the dining room. I was surprised to read negative reviews as our food was perfectly alright, and we found it to be good value. Considering the menu was fairly small, I was pleased to find two vegetarian choices on there, and the staff took the trouble to check for me whether the soup ingredients were vegetarian or not. I had a hot chocolate drink with my meal and it was delicious. I wanted to have dessert as the choices sounded great, but I didn't have room after the main course.

We sat in the hotel lounge for a while and thought the decor was wonderful, though I don't know what the rooms were like.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Elyria, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

This hotel is a railroad hotel that embraces its heritage beautifully. It has beautiful wood throughout the lobby and our room. The furniture in the room was oak with marble tops, quite period appropriate. Our room was quite clean. We stayed in the main building, which was very nice, but you can also rent a railroad car. Internet is available in the basement lounge. No TV in the rooms. You do need to be mindful that this is a railroad hotel so if you light sleeper be careful not to stay on the trackside. We needed only the room so had none of the third party reservation/service issues some of the other reviewers had though I did overhear at least two frustrated guests at the desk on such issues. It sounds like dealing directly with the vendors would be a better idea.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Beaverton, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

We stayed in all of the major lodges but our favorite place was this one by far.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the railroad
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Izaak Walton Inn? Share your experiences!