“Friendly little hostel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of HI Brownies East Glacier Park

HI Brownies East Glacier Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Glacier Park
HI Brownies East Glacier Park
You added HI Brownies East Glacier Park to your Saves list
1020 Montana Hwy 49, East Glacier Park, MT 59434   |
Tacoma, Washington
“Friendly little hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

What I want to make clear to people is that this is not a hotel or motel, it's a hostel. While we were there, there were a few people that did not seem happy with the accomodations as it was "bare minimum" I believe I heard them say. I don't think they realized what a hostel was when they made the reservation. So for those of you who don't know about hostels or Brownies let me fill you in...Brownies is a great little grocery store/bakery/deli with a hostel on the second floor. The rooms are small and very bare...a bed, a lamp, and I think we had a small dressor. When you arrive, you are given sheets, pillow cases (if you did not want to bring your own), towels (i think) and a key to the padlock on the room door. You are responsible for making your own bed (there is a blanket already in the room to use over your sheets) and you are responsible for returning the pillow cases and sheets when you leave. The bathroom and showers are down the hall ( a women's and men's room with 2 showers in each). The walls are extremely thin (basically a plank of wood) and you can hear everything, and I mean everything. You can easily hear people talking, whispering, turning over in their beds in the next room. There is a common area and a front porch to hang out in after a long day of hiking. So as you can see, this is not the place to be if you're looking for extravagance. With all that I've said, I really enjoy Brownies. I have stayed there twice and enjoyed myself both times. It's in a great location, the price cannot be beat ($30 per night), they have a friendly staff, and amazing pastries. So if thats what you are looking for, get some ear plugs and head to Brownies. There is a great little restaurant next door that has a really great breakfast...be aware the french toast is not your traditional french toast...its almost like fried dough...heavy but sooo good. Also a must do for food...go to the Two Sisters Cafe. I believe it is just south of the Many Glacier entrance. I had the best burger of my life (the Reds burger i think). Don't let the look of the place deceive you, it's amazing and everything is fresh. Hope this helps

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

After having such a wonderful stay in July,2008 I returned again in July,2009 and it felt like I was coming home. Some of the friends I had met last year were there again and I also made some new friends. I stay in touch with these friends during the year. That is the type of hostel Brownies is----warm,friendly,clean, and quiet. A BIG THANKS TO the staff for making it so homey!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

everything was just fine with the exception of the inside latch on the door to our room. for the price i didn't bother complaining. we don't spend much time in a room anyway. will stay again next year.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Southampton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

We stayed here for two nights, Sep 13 & 14. There were 3 of us (me, wife, her brother) so we had the "family room" which was two beds, and plenty of room. They gave us a padlock for the door for when we left the place. The bathroom was clean, no problems there. As was everything else, kitchen included.

We paid $36/night for that room, but the other room types are less. I saw rooms with one queen bed in them, as well as rooms with bunk beds.

Downstairs is Brownie's Deli, people coming and going all the time, but that didn't bother us at all. There is a restaurant next door that is pretty good (Whistle Stop), as well as a few other shops within walking distance. It's also within walking distance of the train, and the big lodge (well, I didn't walk it, but we met someone else there who did!!).

All in all, a fine place to stay. Nothing fancy, but no complaints here. If you've ever stayed in a hostel, you'll like it here.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

We stayed two nights at Brownie's while on the east side of Glacier National Park. We liked the friendly atmosphere, clean rooms, and hot water. We had a private room called the "tri-room" (slept 3). Bathrooms down the hall were nearly always available when needed, never a line. Other guests were quiet at night, friendly in the common room. Felt secure, with locks for inner and outer doors. For $15/night, we definitely got more than our money's worth.

• Liked — friendliness of staff and other guests
  • Disliked — farther from st. mary's entrance to GNP than we anticipated. (about 45 minutes)
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2003

While vacationing in breath-taking Glacier National Park, Montana, I had the priveledge of staying at a wonderful little hostel in East Glacier Park on HWY 49. The rooms were clean and affordable, the location was ideal and the service, fantastic! I recommend Brownie's hostel to all those adventurous travelers who are looking to save a few bucks and still stay in a great place. Both dorm and private rooms were available for under $20 and the company was welcome. If you ever pass through East Glacier be sure to check it out!

Been to HI Brownies East Glacier Park? Share your experiences!