“Best place to stay in Cooke City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cooke City High Country Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cooke City
Cooke City High Country Motel
US Highway 212, PO Box 1096, Cooke City, MT   |
Ranked #2 of 7 hotels in Cooke City
West Michigan
“Best place to stay in Cooke City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I traveled through yellowstone this past weekend and had the pleasure of staying here. I did a little poking around in the city before settling on the high country. What sold me was how helpful and courteous the staff was. They reassured me that if i needed anything they would provide it to me. They also suggested some local spots for good food and drinks. I stayed in one of the cabins, and it was very clean and orderly, not to mention the beautiful views of the surrounding mountains that it provided. Overall, i know that if I come back to Cooke City, I will be staying with the high country.

Room Tip: If going solo, or with a partner the cabins are awesome!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Conyers, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have stayed in Cook City every year for over 20 years, and stayed at the High Country this year because we had to book late and our usual motel was booked. our stay was from 9-6 2012 through 9-8-2012, we would have stayed 2 more nights but were lucky enough to get a room at another motel for our last 2 nights.
We needed a double and they told us they were giving us a suite which consisted of living room, kitchen, bedroom and a couch that pulled out into a queen sized bed.
When we checked in they were only able to provide 1 key to the room, we just made do. On going in the room the first thing we noticed was how stained and dirty the carpet was and
there was only 1 chair in the living room and it was broken.
During our entire stay, the room was never cleaned, trash never taken out nor provided any clean towels or wash clothes.
the mattress on the pull out bed was so old and worn that you had to sleep on steel springs, I ended up just sleeping on the sofa, as it was.
on the day we checked out I asked why the room was never touched I was told " you could have asked ". This would have been hard to do since the office hours were from 8am to 8pm and we left and returned to our room when the office was closed. I advised them that some things were expected when you stayed at a motel.

Room Tip: If you want a clean room, and good service you need to stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Billings, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and daughter and I went here for Labor day weekend. They have recently added a teepee and we got to experience a fire in the teepee with the new owners. My daughter absolutely loved it.
The location is the best in Cooke, with unobstructed views of Mt. Republic and Woody. The creek is right out back and though it is a steep climb down, we still had fun exploring a bit.
The owners are new and really friendly. THey have added a hot tub since taking over and that was a real godsend after a long day of hiking and my daughter loved it. You can also take in a sweet view while in the hot tub.
The rooms were outdated, but clean. The owners said they are slowly but surely doing what they can to add more and more amenities.
The rates are comparable to the rest of town and lots cheaper than staying anywhere in the park.
The manager was very friendly and accomodating.
We reccomend this place for sure. Great spot, great people and good luck to the new owners and don't let these previous reviews get you down. I was surprised when I read them. This was easily the cleanest place in town and we had a great time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Lynchburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Unexpectedly stayed in Cooke City, so reservations were made with little options to research. Was told it was a 2 room cabin (2 couples traveling) and it turns out the second room was a bathroom. Room was clean but very basic. Bathroom was leaking and shower head only worked when angled certain ways.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ennis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

"Nice guy" at the front room but he was totally clueless as to any service. We rented one of the cute looking stand alone cabins. No ice, poor internet, no air con (87 degrees today), no screen on the front door, no side tables or lamps, no shampoo/conditioner/lotion, old carpet with stains and drapes hanging askew; water on the bathroom floor from some unknown source, all for the price of $110.00. Very nice town with plenty of other good options.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

While a bit on the pricy side for what you get, this is a comfortable, clean, somewhat rustic motel right in the center of Cooke City. I've stayed here a number of times over the last few years, and will do so again.

Make sure to eat at the Beartooth Cafe, and have breakfast at the little coffee shop a couple of doors up the street from the High Country. The General Store is also well worth a look.

Room Tip: Cabin 1 is small - with a very squeaky bed. Cabins 2 and 3 are larger and more comfortable. The down...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed 2 nights here in June.

The cabin was lovely and comfortable with TV and the manager and his lovely dog were very friendly.

Cooke City is a great little place, quiet and very friendly and the High Country Motel is now my absolute choice to stay in when I return to Montana and Yellowstone. I will be chosing here over staying in the park in future.

Room Tip: I was in cabin 1 which is on the road side and it was lovely - no noise at all!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Cooke City High Country Motel? Share your experiences!