“Not so "Super" 8” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Cooke City
New York
“Not so "Super" 8”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for one night after driving from Deadwood, SD. We arrived very late (due to the Beartooth Highway being closed). We were exhausted and shown to our rooms right away. Nothing to speak of here...basic motel room. Yes, the walls are very thin, but after the looooooong day we had we all slept like babies. It is a good place to lay your head for the night, but I would not like to stay here much longer than that.

The hotel is a short drive to the NorthEast entrance of Yellowstone. We were exploring much of Yellowstone and ending in Teton, so we did not use this as the base of our travels, nor do I advise you to. Yellowstone is just to vast.

The only problem we encountered, and it is a small one, is there is only 1 person running the show here. She does everything, from check in to accounting, she even sleeps there. While she is very nice, it is just too much for 1 person to do. This situation was realized during breakfast. We were told coffee and juice would be out at 6am. Around 6:30 there was no one around and no coffee or juice. My father (who needs his juice in the morning to take pills) had to go next door to buy some. Around 7am there were 8 or so people waiting for breakfast. When the woman finally came around she said for now we can only get cereal and packaged danishes. When we ran out of milk after a few people took their cereal, she said we would have to wait because she had to finish up paperwork before she could do anything else. We decided to leave before that because we wanted to get an early start if we had any chance to see the wildlife. Breakfast is not that big of a deal, but since it was included we did wait around for it and were a bit peeved when we saw why we couldn't get anything they had on offer.

I can not comment at all on Cooke City, as we arrived late and left early. As far as I can see it is a tiny town with 1 main road that leads to Yellowstone. A few restaurants and motels are on that road, and not much else.

I would probably not stay here again if I was coming to visit Yellowstone. However, if you are driving from the east, and are looking for a place to break up the trip for 1 night, I would recommend the Super 8.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

Here's the deal -- in July all the other hotels are $150-200 a night. This Super 8 was $85. This is also located at the Northeast entrance, the most remote entrance into Yellowstone.

This Super 8 is fairly tiny -- about 33 rooms -- but the hotel is fairly new, they had an OK continental breakfast, and staff was very nice. And you're minutes from Yellowstone, not far from Mt. Washburn. That's the positives.

Negatives: there is not much else in Cooke City, the gas and food are very expensive here. We made the mistake of booking for July 4, and the locals had the fireworks going real late.

So the tips are:

* Gas up well outside of Cooke City. Would not hurt to fill up a cooler with food & drinks,
* Chief Joseph Byway and Beartooth Byway are east of the hotel, so make that part of your travels in or out of Yellowstone,
* Split your hotel stays, so stay in convenient West Yellowstone part of the time, and plan to stay here as you leave Yellowstone or just before you enter.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

Was this the worst hotel I have ever stayed in? No. But it certainly wasn't what I expected. I always check the reviews on TripAdvisor before booking a hotel and when I saw the mostly positive reviews for this Super 8 I thought we should give it a try, so we booked three nights.

We were given room 208...DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM THE ICE MACHINE! The loudest ice machine I have ever heard! The rooms were small and crowded. And I am not sure how anyone could call this place clean!!!! The phone was ABSOLUTELY THE FILTHIEST PHONE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED! The walls are painted WHITE and so you could see EVERY stain and mark on them...GROSS! The beds were old and very uncomfortable. I had a spring poking me in the back all night. And yes, the walls are SUPER THIN. You can hear every door shut, phone ring, tv, and personal conversation of the guest rooms around you. AND, when someone in the next room showers or uses the sink, it sounds like it is in your own room. No exaggeration here. I ended up buying ear plugs so I could at least get one good nights sleep.

The breakfast was ok. The waffles we made came out soggy every time. The timer is set for 2 minutes when it should really be set for 3 minutes. The front desk staff was sort of friendly, to me they seemed really sick of their situation and were just going through the steps before they eventually move on to something else.

We ate at the Beartooth Cafe one night, it was the toughest beef steak I have ever eaten, but everything else was good. One word of caution...no eating establishment in this little one horse town will split a ticket when you order...for some strange reason. If you are traveling with another couple like we were, all meals go on one ticket, one person pays the entire charge and then you have to go to the car and figure out what each of you owe...ridiculous. They are NOT customer friendly at all.

If you HAVE to stay here one night, it is ok. But don't make this hotel your base for a vacation in Yellowstone. You will be disappointed.

• Liked — Location to Yellowstone
  • Disliked — The cleanliness and size of the room and the noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manitoba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

Called the property directly to book. Bill told me over the phone that the rates were $104 per night, but when I told him on the website advertised rates were $85 per night, he told me to bring a print out when I check in and he would honor that and he did! The hotel is clean, breakfast is okay but they really need to replace their waffle iron because it sticks even with the spray! Maybe the batter is not the right one for the waffle iron..... No airconditioning in the rooms, but I found out why because it cools down so much at night that it isn't necessary. The scenery is gorgeous from Deadwood to Cooke City. The town is really nothing to speak of but it is right at Yellowstone gates. Next time I would stay at Gardiner as the town is way bigger and close to the gates as well. Backto the hotel, the rooms do not have a standard fridge and microwave which I found out that I could have rented a fridge! Internet is available. tv channels need to be bulked up! Definetly a very nice hospitable place to stay!

• Stayed August 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leicestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

My wife and I booked into the Cooke City Super 8 assuming it would make a good base for the Yellowstone attractions. Unfortunately, the major attractions (in the West of the park) are too far away - Old Faithful is a 4 hour drive from Cooke City! If you are aiming to visit the main Yellowstone attractions, then a hotel in Gardiner would be more suitable. However, if the East side of Yellowstone is what you want, you'll find the Cooke City Super 8 to be very clean, good facilities and the staff there very friendly and helpful. Also, the food at a local restaurant was excellent. One drawback of Cooke City's stunning mountain location was the lack of mobile phone (T-Mobile) reception! Note that at the moment (Sept 08) the main road between Yellowstone and Cooke City is currently being replaced and is little more than a dirt track. This means delays and bumping over 2-3 miles of very uneven road, which is not to be recommended in a standard 2-wheel drive car!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Burnley, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

Cooke City is in a great location for Yellowstone and the surrounding areas but is a very small place. It has limited places to stay and eat but this adds to the charm of the place. We stayed for three days at the Super 8 and must admit it they represent some of the most memorable times from our recent 3 week tour. This despite the fact the hotel was only average. No aircon, large room but small bed and very poor sound insulation between rooms and floors - everybodies plumbing seemed to have been routed through our room! Having said that it was clean and the staff were friendly. Breakfast was good and clothes washing facilities convenient. One thing that struck us was that after the litter-free cleanliness and 'purity' of the Yellowstone National Park the view from our window was like the local junk yard and refuse tip combined.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

I agree pretty much with the most recent review. Great location and very, very nice people working at the hotel...a rarity. The breakfast was great and the rooms and hotel were very clean. It would be nice to have ac so you wouldn't have to have the windows open...Cooke City was noisy on a Saturday night. The ceiling fan helped a little. We also heard the water from the other rooms, etc. But really, it was a good place to stay. This was our second stay there and we will definitely stay there again.

• Liked — cleanliness, friendly staff/managment
  • Disliked — noise, no a/c
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Super 8 Cooke City Mt? Share your experiences!