“Truck Stop Motel 6, but very nice anyway” 4 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Butte
122005 Nissler Rd, I-90 West to exit #122, Butte, MT 59701   |
Ranked #8 of 14 hotels in Butte
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Truck Stop Motel 6, but very nice anyway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We were a bit wary when we pulled up, as it's at a truck stop outside of town, not much else around and that seemed perhaps unsafe for two young women, even tough ones like us. Inside it was very nice though, and the staff was really friendly and helpful.

We were up on a higher floor, but the elevator worked fine. There was noise from I-90 was present, but didn't keep us from sleeping. I didn't notice a smoke smell in my room at all, but maybe I was lucky (or congested from traveling??). The bathroom was huge, with what seemed like a handicap-accessible tub/shower(?) and a nice bright sink. There was also a big desk/counter in the room which was nice for us to organize our food and such out of reach of the pet ferrets we had with us.

For a Motel 6 and the price, we were very pleasantly surprised - the only way I could see someone not liking the room we had would be someone who just doesn't know the Motel 6 "thing" of very spartan rooms.

Room Tip: Be aware of the fact that it's a high-rise. Ask for a higher floor to avoid highway noise or a l...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I ended up staying at this motel as a last minute stopover. Its right on the freeway next to a truck stop so expect noise all night. I ended up on the top floor which was all they had available, which was sort of a pain because I was traveling with my dog. The room was suppose to be non smoking but of course it reeked of smoke. I don't really blame the motel for this, its the fault of inconsiderate guests and smoke doesn't really bother me it was definitely noticable. I'm not sure where the motel 6 chain gets their sheets, (Paper Thin Sheets R-US), but as with all their motels, the sheets were completely see through and rough and the bed was hard.

This may sound like a bad review, but its not. This hotel was very nice, the room was super clean, the air conditioner worked like a charm and though the walls were thin, the hotel wasn't noisy. The room was moderately priced at around $60 which included free wifi. I stay in Motel 6s alot so I know what to expect. This is a no frills motel and as long as the price stays low, I can give up some of the amenities.

My only two complaints were the room door....you couldn't close it quickly...it had one of those catches that keep it from slamming shut which is great except it took 5 minutes to close and the signs around the hotel that said "absolutely no pets" which was meant to keep people from walking their dogs on the grass, but came across as no pets in the hotel which had people looking at me like I was doing something wrong when I brought my pet into the hotel. A simple solution to this would be to offer a "dog walking area" and include bags to pick up after your pet or change the signs to read "please keep pets off the grass". Something a little more friendly.

That said, I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Brooksville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

The hotel was very quiet, but we had requested a non smoking room, which was provided, but the rooms across the hall were smoking, so our room smelled as badly as if someone was smoking in it. I also do not understand why Motel 6 do not offer free WIFI--most every other hotel chain offers it. The room was recently remodeled and was comfy--they only problem was the smokey smell in our room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Clarkston, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed at this motel on my way to visit family in ND. It was neat and clean. The front desk person who checked me in was very polite and friendly. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Pacifc Northwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

Stayed here due to location & lateness of being on the road. Should have known when the clerk said that the hotel used to be smoking but it has been cleaned and all rooms are now non-smoking. It was very expensive to do, she added. Apparently, my room was missed. The smell of the room is says it is a smoking room, I can't imagine them emforcing the $100 fee if they find out you smoke in the room -- it just stinks. I ususally travel with air frshener and the can was about empty when I left. That is with the window open & the heat on. The back parking lot is not lit at all as it backs up to the interstate, not too noisy until about 4 am when the semis start rolling out.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Belvidere, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We were on the road for 12 hours straight when we finally got to this Motel 6. It was after 10pm. They "left the light on for us". Luckily we had reserved ahead because the rooms were sold out and people were being turned away. The place seemed new: clean rooms an inside entrances. The price was unbeatable, the cable TV channels were extensive, beds were great. As with all Motel 6 arrangements, no alarm clock, shampoo nor Wifi is provided. Very nice staff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Lynnwood, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Of the 3 Motel 6 locations used for stopovers on our Yellowstone trip, this was the best of the 3. We stayed here on the way over with a reservation and the way back without one and ended up in the same room. A little unexpected, but a nice surprise. This is definitely a newer Motel 6 even though you get the norm from them. The staff was friendly and we saw a variety of people behind the desk. The rooms are very clean. The biggest difference is the bathroom. The tub is a little bigger and you have to get used to no fan. The central air system takes care of that so it's not that big of an issue. It is located right off I-90 in the Rocker area just west of Butte. If you don't mind fighting the trucks occasionally with the truck stop across the street, it is a good location and really not that noisy. I'm sure I'll go back to Butte since there is a lot to do there. I'll probably pick another place with more amenities. As a stopover, you can't go wrong with the Rocker Motel 6.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Butte? Share your experiences!