“Don't enjoy negative reviews :(” 2 of 5 stars

The Copper King Hotel and Convention Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4655 Harrison Ave, Butte, MT 59701   |
Ranked #14 of 14 hotels in Butte
Great Falls, Montana
“Don't enjoy negative reviews :(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

This is one of my few negative reviews, and i dont like doing them. Was here in butte for a real estate conference, and the speaker was located at copper king hotel so we booked our room here at Copper King. The hotel lobby, service staff was excellent! But soon as we got to the room, I thought this should be on an episode of hotels impossible on travel channel. Like the other reviews..the rooms were horrible! Carpet and walls were filthy :( everything was dated, and worst of all the beds looked like they were out of a 70's horror movie. We thought it was just a bad room, and asked for another room.....it was just as bad. We had to change hotels. Ended up goin to Hampton inn..... It was like night and day. On the bright side though the staff was excellent! I hope Copper king turns it around, it has a lot of potential, but not at this time.

Stayed November 2012

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Butte, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

we called in to make a reservation for a room we said we had no credit card so we had to go borrow one. the front desk said we would not be charged on the card if we brought cash. when we checked in we gave the cash for the room & it would be taken off our credit card. we enjoyed swimming & the evening there & breakfast. when we got home we found out we were charged not only for the cash we paid but also for the full price of the credit card too in other words we were charged double for a one night stay. we pride ourselves on being truthful. i called the manager & told him what happened i told him to check the cameras i told him the money brought in that day & he simply told me he trust his staff. he has lost a lot of buisness because of what we said i hope it was worth it he should have admitted their mistake & gave us a free night which was a lot cheaper way to go.

Room Tip: don't stay there
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was a bit concerned about staying here due to the recent reviews claiming how horrible their stay here was.

We are in town visiting family with our newborn and this place is near grandma's house. I have to say though this place maybe a bit older, we found it to be a great place with it being clean and spacious.

They have free WiFi as well.

I would stay here again

• Stayed August 2012
Flagstaff, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

The Copper King Hotel in Butte, Montana was not as advertised. The lobby was nice but that was about it. There was no elevator accessible to get my bags up to my room. My room was disgusting, with grime covering the bathroom fixtures. The carpets were very old, badly stained and lumpy. I was afraid to take my shoes off. The TV worked only intermittently, the majority of the time I only had static and it was therefore was unusable. It was an old tube TV that the hotel clerk told me they bought used when they remodelled because modern TVs were too expensive. The WiFi signal was too weak to use in my room so I was unable to complete work that I needed to complete, thereby costing me money. The pool was filled with murky green water. The clerk tried to tell me it was safe to swim in but I would need to keep special watch over my kids since I wouldn’t be able to see them once they went under the water. The breakfast was advertised as serving waffles. There were no waffles visible and service not offered to me or my kids. I couldn’t even get a glass of water. When I complained about the problems to the hotel clerk, he acted shocked and denied that there was anything wrong.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel. Holiday Inn is cheaper and 1000 times better for example.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

It is still difficult to believe that a friend recommended this place. The place seemed nearly empty. To their credit, the staff was very friendly and tried hard, and our room was clean. However, many machines did not work, the pool was out of commission, and the complimentary breakfast was about the most dismal I have ever encountered. My wife's sudden illness kept us stuck in the hotel, so I did try their Steak House restaurant. To my surprise, every dish was very good. Non-functional tennis courts in the rear seem to once have been part of an indoor facility attached to the hotel in better times. If you are manic, this place will bring you down. If you are depressive, this place will not improve your mood. I cannot recommend this hotel unless you need a place right by the airport for a quick in and out trip. The restaurant is not a destination eatery, but it is serviceable for dinner if you are in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: Try another hotel. If you have to stay there, ask for a room in the back, away from the airport and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelle K, Director of Sales at The Copper King Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our facility. We take pride in our hotel and are always looking for ways to improve our services. We purposely chose a "slow" time at the hotel to drain and clean our pool and ice machines to avoid as minimal of a disruption to as few guests as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience. As for our continental breakfast, we just recently added made-to-order waffles to the menu and have received a lot of compliments. The breakfast is an expanded continental that includes cereals, muffins, toast, yogurts, fresh fruits and juices, biscuits and gravy and now, waffles. It is offered complimentary to our guests. Thank you again for your comments.
Helena, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Our entire stay here was a nightmare. They put us in the wrong room, twice. There were three of us and I had booked a two queen room. They gave us a room with one bed twice. Upon entering the second wrong room, we were told that the hotel had overbooked their rooms with two beds and that because we had made our reservation online, we were bumped to a single room. I told her that there were three of us and we needed two beds and she said we were in luck, because the hotel was not as busy as they had thought they were going to be and we could have our two beds after all. The room was shabby, and the carpets stained. The walls were extremely thin and we could hear everything our neighbors said and did all night long. There was no air conditioning in the hotel lobby or in the hallways and the doors were all propped open all night long. The breakfast was not edible and the woman working was extremely rude when we asked for milk for the cereal. WORST EXPERIENCE OF ALL TIME!! Don't waste your money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Michelle K, Director of Sales at The Copper King Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
As the Sales Director at the Copper King Hotel, I just wanted to extend an apology for your recent experience at our hotel. We do our best to honor all of our guests requests for room preferences. We are currently in the process of training all of our staff on our procedures. I encourage you to give us another try - we take these comments very seriously and do our best to remedy the situation. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your concerns.
Cambridge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I would not stay here again. Check-in was difficult becasue the clerk was annoyed to have a customer. The reception area was nice but the rooms were dreary and couldn't find an ice machine that worked. The indoor pool was very nice and loaded with families so if you were going to spend your time at the pool this might not be a bad choice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Copper King Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!