“An Enjoyable Experience of History” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Copper King Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Butte
Copper King Mansion
219 W. Granite St., Butte, MT 59701   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Butte B&B and Inns
Oakland, California
“An Enjoyable Experience of History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was my first time in Butte and I was glad we got to do some sightseeing the next day after arriving late. We arrived 9PM. The owners are friendly and went out of their way to find a restaurant for us that was open late. We slept in two double beds. The room (The Family Suite) itself was huge and had a fresco ceiling and lots of cool antiques. The bathroom was adequate though there wasn't a lot of space to put your things. The sleigh beds were comfortable for me although I am 6'2". A large bay window that was open provided a nice cool breeze. Sure, this mansion is not an ideal B&B, adapted for modern standards of comfort. It maintains its historic integrity. But I loved feeling a part of a bygone era and having breakfast in the large dining room. The breakfast was good with fresh cut strawberries, quality orange juice and excellent French Toast. There is a shower in the large bathroom that is an experience many won't try but I used it twice. It was installed early in the 20th Century and is like putting your body in a car wash! You get sprayed from the top and from tubing around the sides. You are enclosed by thick plastic clear curtains. I am glad I did it. But then again, I love history.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

The last time my husband and I stayed in Butte, ten years ago, we stayed at a hotel. We enjoy doing the bed and breakfast thing, so we were looking forward to staying here. We really have no complaints, the owners were friendly and nice and the accommodations were comfortable. Running a bed and breakfast/museum of this size must be a lot of work, so there are things that may improve the experience, but what is offered is still very neat. A place I would recommend only if you do not require a shower and do not mind having people who tour the place go through your room during the day.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Southeast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our recent road trip took us through Butte and a friend recommended the Copper King Mansion. We booked the Master Suite for $125 with high expectations! Well, this place was a total failure for what we hoped would be a romantic stop in a historic town. This is a very old, broken house stuffed with very old furniture and 10,000 historical items (with 9,500 pieces of junk). The main floor smelled of cigarette smoke (apparently by the managing family). The Master was horrible with really old fabrics, torn, worn and filled with holes! It was 90 degrees outside with no AC or windows that opened. Some windows were cracked. No shower in the corroded and stained tub. No working toilet paper hanger and poorly repaired wood damage in the floor of the bath. Many broken bath tiles. A Standard bed, maybe a Queen? At 10:00 PM the room was so hot that we left and went to another hotel. This is a hotel with little business that needs a hugh investment to fix it up. We left without asking for a refund because they needed the money. We had high hopes and left hot and discouraged. One positive: a hugh fan for miserable guests!

Room Tip: Forget finding a good room here!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thecopper K, Owner at Copper King Mansion, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
We have had done quite a bit of painting in the past year. See the new pictures we posted. We also no longer allow smoking inside the building.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was looking forward to my stay at the mansion as I made my way north during a long road trip. I was intrigued by the rich history of the area, and by the story of the house's original owner, Mr. Clark.

Sadly, I was generally disappointed by my stay at the mansion. While the house claims to be a B&B, it is primarily a museum, and it feels that way when you stay overnight. I stayed in the Butler's Room, and while it was quaint and pretty, it did not offer the minimal amenities ANY B&B should have. For example, there was no proper place to set things down. Car keys, purse, wallet, bottle of water or whatever.... just a coffee-table-like thing at the foot of the bed. Hardly any room for my roll-on suitcase. No wi-fi available. I am not a tall man (I'm 5'9")... but I had to sleep diagonal on the bed because it was so short. I realize it's an old bed and people were shorter 100+ years ago, but if you're going to have people from the 21st century sleeping in the house, the amenities should -- to a degree -- support 21st century needs. I believe there is a balance to be found for preserving the original charm and antiquity of the old house, and providing for modern sensibilities. The Copper mansion fails to meet that need.

The hosts were friendly and laid back. I felt welcome when I arrived. Breakfast - served at the large dining room table downstairs -- consisted of fruit cup, French toast, sausages, coffee and juice. It was adequate, but nothing notable.

A young high-school aged girl provided a tour to a small group of us soon upon my arrival in the afternoon. She was charming and informed, and took her time answering our questions.

Contrary to other comments, below, I found the house to be clean. I didn't detect a smell of cigarette smoke in the house, but the mansion does have a distinct smell that I can only attribute to the house's age and the age of its contents. It's old! It's going to have a smell! I do not like that the house has become a warehouse for so many different types of things. The owners (to their credit) have purchased many items over the years, rescuing things from public buildings and other establishments in town... Churches that were destroyed, etc. But there is a lot of clutter in many of the rooms. I think these things detract from the beauty and majesty of the original mansion.

It was interesting to see the house and learn about its history, but I would have preferred to stay at a "proper" B&B or a hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a private bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Wow, what a place. The building is beautiful and the proprietors really nice.
Because the house is open for tours all day, you can't check in before 4 and you must be out of your room by 9 am. That's a little tough, but manageable.

The rooms are so much fun and really unique.

Breakfast was a very good French toast and fresh fruit.

Room Tip: I think only 2 of the rooms have an en suite bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Sweet Home, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We booked the master bedroom at the Copper King Mansion in late May for two nights. We expected to see the many sights that Butte had to offer. We took the tour when we checked in and the place is full of antiques and interesting stories about the Clark family. The master bedroom is a suite of 3 rooms, (bathroom, sitting room, and bedroom). It's interesting to view the old furniture but it's not so fun to sit on the unconfortable chairs and sofa. The bed is confortable, however, the owner thought to turn on the heat and our room soon became sweltering! Sometime in the middle of the night I heard a series of creaks (knocks?) that trailed from the sitting room door to my side of the bed and then back. I looked many times and saw nothing. I tried very hard to ignore the sounds but they ended up scaring me to near death! We even got mists on the pictures we took. To top off our stay all the sights we wanted to see was closed as it was Sunday and before Memorial Day so we cut our losses and decided to not stay the second night. If you want to stay at the Copper King Mansion remember you need to be out of your room most of your day, have something to do and be ready for the spooks!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

If you appreciate culture and history, you MUST stay at this B&B! My family stayed here and had a wonderful time. The hosts are incredibly nice and you feel as if you stepped into Victorian times in this house! Prices are more than reasonable as well, cheaper than the Hampton Inn!

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Copper King Mansion? Share your experiences!