“Interesting, but wouldn't return” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Copper King Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Butte
Copper King Mansion
219 W. Granite St., Butte, MT 59701   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Butte B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Interesting, but wouldn't return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was looking forward to my stay at the mansion as I made my way north during a long road trip. I was intrigued by the rich history of the area, and by the story of the house's original owner, Mr. Clark.

Sadly, I was generally disappointed by my stay at the mansion. While the house claims to be a B&B, it is primarily a museum, and it feels that way when you stay overnight. I stayed in the Butler's Room, and while it was quaint and pretty, it did not offer the minimal amenities ANY B&B should have. For example, there was no proper place to set things down. Car keys, purse, wallet, bottle of water or whatever.... just a coffee-table-like thing at the foot of the bed. Hardly any room for my roll-on suitcase. No wi-fi available. I am not a tall man (I'm 5'9")... but I had to sleep diagonal on the bed because it was so short. I realize it's an old bed and people were shorter 100+ years ago, but if you're going to have people from the 21st century sleeping in the house, the amenities should -- to a degree -- support 21st century needs. I believe there is a balance to be found for preserving the original charm and antiquity of the old house, and providing for modern sensibilities. The Copper mansion fails to meet that need.

The hosts were friendly and laid back. I felt welcome when I arrived. Breakfast - served at the large dining room table downstairs -- consisted of fruit cup, French toast, sausages, coffee and juice. It was adequate, but nothing notable.

A young high-school aged girl provided a tour to a small group of us soon upon my arrival in the afternoon. She was charming and informed, and took her time answering our questions.

Contrary to other comments, below, I found the house to be clean. I didn't detect a smell of cigarette smoke in the house, but the mansion does have a distinct smell that I can only attribute to the house's age and the age of its contents. It's old! It's going to have a smell! I do not like that the house has become a warehouse for so many different types of things. The owners (to their credit) have purchased many items over the years, rescuing things from public buildings and other establishments in town... Churches that were destroyed, etc. But there is a lot of clutter in many of the rooms. I think these things detract from the beauty and majesty of the original mansion.

It was interesting to see the house and learn about its history, but I would have preferred to stay at a "proper" B&B or a hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a private bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Wow, what a place. The building is beautiful and the proprietors really nice.
Because the house is open for tours all day, you can't check in before 4 and you must be out of your room by 9 am. That's a little tough, but manageable.

The rooms are so much fun and really unique.

Breakfast was a very good French toast and fresh fruit.

Room Tip: I think only 2 of the rooms have an en suite bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Sweet Home, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We booked the master bedroom at the Copper King Mansion in late May for two nights. We expected to see the many sights that Butte had to offer. We took the tour when we checked in and the place is full of antiques and interesting stories about the Clark family. The master bedroom is a suite of 3 rooms, (bathroom, sitting room, and bedroom). It's interesting to view the old furniture but it's not so fun to sit on the unconfortable chairs and sofa. The bed is confortable, however, the owner thought to turn on the heat and our room soon became sweltering! Sometime in the middle of the night I heard a series of creaks (knocks?) that trailed from the sitting room door to my side of the bed and then back. I looked many times and saw nothing. I tried very hard to ignore the sounds but they ended up scaring me to near death! We even got mists on the pictures we took. To top off our stay all the sights we wanted to see was closed as it was Sunday and before Memorial Day so we cut our losses and decided to not stay the second night. If you want to stay at the Copper King Mansion remember you need to be out of your room most of your day, have something to do and be ready for the spooks!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

If you appreciate culture and history, you MUST stay at this B&B! My family stayed here and had a wonderful time. The hosts are incredibly nice and you feel as if you stepped into Victorian times in this house! Prices are more than reasonable as well, cheaper than the Hampton Inn!

• Stayed April 2012
Pasco, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

My husband and I were traveling thru Montana and pulled into Butte on a Sunday evening with no reservation for the night. I called the Copper King Mansion and spoke to a very nice gentleman who described each room witt rates. We chose the master suite and were extremely pleased with the room and the rate. The master suite is well worth the $125.00 rate. We were the only guests that evening so we were able to explore the other rooms. If your looking for a place rich in history this is the place. Breakfast was very good, owners were very polite and gave us a quick tour when we checked in and a more extensive tour the next day. We are hoping to o back soon. If you go be sure and go to the Uptown Cafe for dinner. It's called a cafe but it has an upscale menu and the decor matches. All in all it was a great day in Butte.

Room Tip: If it's a romantic stay, choose the master suite.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kalispell, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

This is a great eccentric place to visit and you sure can't get character like this at a commercial establishment. First, I want to say that you better realize you are staying in an authentic, unrestored 120+ year old home and the limitations that entails. Yes they have wireless internet and works well with the rooms in the back of the house, but not so well with those in front, just too many thick walls. The bathrooms are interesting and of course functional but three rooms do share one bath (the only one with a shower which was fantastic as I had only seen a needle or birdcage shower in house museums). Also be aware the plug-in requires an adapter as they are not designed for modern three prongs plugs. The house is clean regardless of some reviews. It is however very cluttered. The family likes to collect many, many different things from beer steins, clocks, ceramics, glass, etc. And they display this plethora of items throughout the home. If it were up to me and it’s not, I would weed out some of the collections and just keep the more interesting pieces. Yes they give tours but the reviews by individuals stating that they were unaware of it had to be given by people living under a rock, as 1) the website clearly states tours are given, 2) they tell you this when you check in and 3) there is a big sign out front that says tours May through September. While this is inconvenient you just have to accept it and prepare accordingly. The location to dining and attractions cannot be beat as most are within a five block walking distance and the city does have a lot of really great dining establishments. The price compared to more modern and mundane B&Bs cannot be beat and is appropriate for what is offered. I also believe that this would be a great place if you have kids as they are very accepting (I did not have any children with me but there were two different families visiting at the same time as me). While anyone kids or teens would find this place wonderful I would encourage bringing children when they are between the ages of 5 and 8 as I believe staying in a place like this would create a wonderful childhood memory.

Room Tip: Call well in advance as it takes some time for them to get back to you
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Billings, MT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Stayed at the Copper King Mansion last night, and this is a very interesting and historic place. Would recommend it! There are tours during the day from 9am to 4pm, so we went sightseeing around the city - lots to see all within walking distance. Our room only had a bath tub, and not a shower which was okay with us. Breakfast was fruit, bacon and french toast. Very good. Learned a lot about Butte history from owner over breakfast. Very enjoyable!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Copper King Mansion? Share your experiences!