“tiny breakfast, no compensation if you are dissatisfied” 2 of 5 stars
Review of City Center Inn

Save Saved
You added City Center Inn to your Saves list
City Center Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   507 West Main, Bozeman, MT 59715 (Formerly Magnuson Grand City Center)   |
Ranked #27 of 29 hotels in Bozeman
Brush
“tiny breakfast, no compensation if you are dissatisfied”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The staff was all very nice. However, we had 3 criteria when picking a hotel. 1) It had to have an indoor pool. We have a very active preschooler and we needed that for his activities. 2) We needed a first floor room. I have MS and we needed to be able to go in a door and get to the room. 3) We needed a free sufficient breakfast. We did not get any of the 3. We got to the hotel, our first floor room smelled incredibly strongly of paint / VOC some kind of chemicals. We went to the front desk, were told they were re-sealing the pool, so that is what the smell was. Were offered a different room on the second floor and took it. Needless to say, the pool was out of order 2 of the 3 days we were there. We dealt with a few tantrums from a little boy who we had promised he could swim. The next morning we went to the restaurant. On this site it says free breakfast from the restaurant. We were offered our choice of (I think) 6 different meals. They were all only large enough to fill our preschooler. Our teenager and my husband were still starving after breakfast. AND a tip for the waitress was not included, so we had to dig into our pockets for more breakfast and a tip. It isn't the waitress's fault that it was a crummy tiny breakfast. The staff was all very nice, but when I told the front desk clerk about my 3 criteria and how very unhappy we were, she talked to the manager and I was told that since we were still staying in a room, there would be no discount. The breakfast was still breakfast like they advertised (though it sure sounds like it would be a big one and it was not) and the pool was just maintenance they had to do, so it wasn't their fault. We were offered NO compensation whatsoever, no offer of a free dinner or extra breakfast, not even an offer to let us out of our reservation for free if we wished to go to a different hotel for the rest of our stay in town. I let them know I would be giving a negative review, though I have NEVER given any restaurant or hotel a negative review in my life. Not offering any compensation to a dissatisfied customer is bad business, and it takes a lot for me to complain. I would not recommend this hotel. You are better off going to a hotel like a days inn or la quinta where there is a sufficient breakfast, a ton of first floor rooms if the first one isn't satisfactory, and the pool is always open.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
CORVALLIS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The big selling point for this hotel is an ideal location for downtown/MSU campus visits together with free parking. Rooms are spacious and clean but old fashioned in furnishing and equipment - no flat screen television, no refrigerators. The lighting is particularly poor with wall mounted fittings high above the beds rather than reading lights. The pillows provided are notably lumpy.
The front desk staff appeared overwhelmed by three guests checking in at the same time - my check-in took over 15 minutes
Typically of older hotels with pools there is musty smell from the chlorine pervading all of the corridors. The hotel is well equipped with vending machines - only one of which is stocked with bottled water - this machine ate my 2 dollar bills but stubbornly refused to either return the money or dispense a bottle. The staff at the desk helpfully confirmed that they knew the machines weren't working properly but since they didn't belong to the hotel they weren't responsible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Great location right in Bozeman. The rooms were clean and nice, but nothing really stood as a bad or great. The rooms were clean, the desk clerk was very nice. Didn't try the free breakfast, but the voucher sounded like you got limited choices from their restuarant menu as opposed to the typical re-heated, instant, carb-fest you normally get at free hotel breakfasts.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I needed a place close to the campus and downtown, so I booked this online based on pictures and the price. I found the room I had booked spacious, clean and almost perfect for my needs. Perfection would have been a room with a small refrigerator so I could have stored some beers or snacks.
I used the exercise room a couple times and the pool and spa a couple times. My room was situated on the first floor and it was quiet [I never heard any street noise], and since I was staying three nights I hung out the DO NOT DISTURB sign and was never bothered.
There was a computer in the lobby and even though I had to wait a couple times I didn't mind because ..hey...I was on vacation and not in a hurry for anything...
I chatted it up with the receptionists and both were funny, friendly and responded quickly to requests for more coffee or restock the cups etc. I enjoyed the diversity of the guests, as one night there was a family from Korea, a family from Spain and some folks from Germany. All three were speaking their native languages and that was pure entertainment.
I would recommend a nearby Restaurant called the Montana Ale Works which serves local beers and a bison burger that was simply out of this world.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

The hotel was conveniently located, however it was 10000% no where NEAR close to the beautiful photos the people at the Magnuson Grand decided to copy from the Ritz and pretend it's their own. Good breakfast, nice staff, all the basics with 90s decor, crappy outlets (blew a fuse in our room 4 times in the 2 days we stayed there before moving hotels). Basic motel-type 'hotel.' Spend a few dollars more and go to the C'mon Inn or if you must be downtown, look for flats or apartments to rent

Room Tip: Do not trust the photos on the website or you will be sadly disappointed. That was like comparing a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Boulder
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

It looked like we might not find a decent hotel at a reasonable price in Bozeman. But then we stumbled onto this place. What a pleasant surprise! Room was pretty standard for a low budget hotel, but it was also clean and comfortable. It was quiet and had decent AC. The location was very convenient, right in the downtown and walk able to restaurants.

• Stayed July 2012
Richardson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This hotel was wonderful! The staff was really nice and helpful. They continuously went above and beyond the expected. The rooms were very comfortable. The free breakfast was quite small, but for a fee you could up-grade. The scenery was stunning!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to City Center Inn? Share your experiences!