“Holy Grumpy!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Bozeman
Missoula, Montana
“Holy Grumpy!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

These were the grumpiest people I've dealt with in a long time, let alone in a "service industry."
First, the positives: For Bozeman, this is a relatively good deal. The double room "suite" was very small, but still, it allowed kids to nap/sleep while we were up. The double room suite fronted on 6th street which was quiet (well, traffic-wise) and there is a school across the street with a playground. You can walk to Beale Park, downtown, and the Co-Op. We easily biked to the Museum of the Rockies and the campus (where I had a workshop - the impetus of the trip). The room was clean and everything worked.
The negatives: 7th street is a very busy street. The two rooms were pretty small. There was construction at the school across 6th from our room and it was ridiculously noisy (although I recognize this is beyond the control of the hotel). Anyone ever heard of towel hooks? No shampoo/conditioner. Only donuts for breakfast. Wi-fi did not work in our room.
And the NUMBER ONE NEGATIVE, the older man and woman who worked there (own it?) are GRUMPY! On the phone, they were grumpy. In person, they were grumpy. They were grumpy when we switched from a 3-night to a 2-night reservation (all week days). They did not communicate with each other well, making them more grumpy. We asked for a late checkout, and the male (making grumpy remarks) allowed an extra hour. Then the woman called our room at the normal check out time and (grumpily [or more accurately - nastily]) asked if we were staying another day. We told them no, but that we no longer really needed the extended check-out time since by calling, they had just awoken our napping infant - the reason we asked for the extension.
Perhaps a good deal, but I found the vibe just too negative to want to go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

Rainbow is a very basic, standard motel on 7th Avenue, a busy commercial street. Rooms are clean, and there's an outdoor pool and picnic table. The staff suggested 2 wonderful restaurants, both within walking distance. If you go out the back way, onto 6 Avenue, it's a pleasant residential neighborhood, a lovely 1/3 mile walk from Bozeman's very appealing downtown. Continental breakfast was doughnuts and coffee, plus a basket of apples, oranges and bananas. It was no trouble to pick up a great muffin at one of the nice cafes downtown.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
greenacres
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

Made reservations for a two bedroom room enroute to Yellowstone for $85 since my traveling companion and I did not wish to share a room. When we arrived, we got a key, went to our room only to find a single room with two beds. Apparently, someone decided we didn't really want what we had reserved (???) furthermore the price we were charged was still $85. So we got the two bedrooms after returning to the office, where apparently we were expected to be back by the clerk who noticed the discrepancy but sent us to the room anyway. I got good wifi for lots of places around, except the motel for which I couldn't get a connection at all. The beds were very hard - but I guess this is the norm as it seems to be that way everywhere. Since this was the first leg, I wasn't tired enough to sleep on the hard bed anyway so I got very little sleep. However the clerk was very helpful about picking a place for dinner. Good value for the money, however.

• Stayed June 2010
Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

Most travelers will look for the big motel chains for overnight stays. I am here to tell you, you must check out the Rainbow Motel in Bozeman. They are always working to upgrade and update their their small motel and the owners take pride in their business and it shows. When I stay at any motel I always look for cleanliness. The rooms at the Rainbow are always clean and I have never had to ask the housekeepers come in and change my sheets or clean the bathtub. It is always done right the first time. I have seen the owner inspecting rooms when I have stayed there. Great place to stay!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Rainbow Motel in Bozeman, Montana in September, 2009.
We were so pleasantly surprised at the rennovations the current owners have done and how comfortable the room in which we stayed. New carpets, new paint, new wainscoating on walls, and nice refinished bath/shower combo. The beds were very comfortable and we thoroughly enjoyed fresh, delicious pastries and coffee in the mornings. If you are looking for a nice, comfortable room at a very reasonable price, we certainly recommend the Rainbow Motel without reservations.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Rainbow Motel? Share your experiences!