“Local Ownership Makes a Difference!” 5 of 5 stars

Lewis and Clark Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   824 W. Main St., Bozeman, MT 59715   |
Ranked #26 of 29 hotels in Bozeman
East Lansing
“Local Ownership Makes a Difference!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

The Lewis & Clark Motel, 824 West Main Street, Bozeman, MT., is evidence that local ownership (not just a local franchise of a national chain) makes a difference. Rates are reasonable, accommodations are fine, but the real value lies in the home-like feeling of the place. The theme is tradition; the music is old fashioned (e.g., Sinatra); the fitness center actually is a "rec room" in the basement (complete with fooseball); the lobby has a jig-saw puzzle in progress for any to work on, a collection of antique Life magazines, and the proprietor's doll collection. The proprietor herself, Lisa, the daughter of the founder, succeeds in warmth, customer service, and competence. I am especially indebted to her for single-handedly managing a fouled up FedEx delivery of an important package. If you're ever in Bozeman, stay at the Lewis & Clark Motel and enjoy the local ambiance!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

It was July 14th, 2012 at 10:30 PM and I had to stay at the Lewis & Clark motel because it was the last room in town. The room was on the third floor but the elevator was broken. Tried to catch the news but the TV remote was broken. Tried to dry my hair but the hair dryer was broken. The bathroom was filthy, showering in the morning I found used soap left from the last guest. When checking out I asked to speak to the owner as I felt that $150 was too much to pay for such a dirty and poorly maintained room. When I was finally able to speak to Lisa on the phone she said there was nothing she could do. Really? Nothing? Please do not stay at this motel…you will regret every minute and feel taken for having paid $150 for the experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We ended up at the Lewis and Clark after stopping at the major chains. Everyone was booked for the night. It was late and we were so thankful to get a room. The Lewis and Clark is older so take that into consideration. They have done a lot of updating, however. There were new faucets, lamps and artwork. You could tell the paint was fresh. The lobby area is so nice with a beautiful wood dining room table where you can enjoy your coffee, muffins, nut bread and juice. The wireless was fast and easy to access. The young woman at the desk was so nice. The price was under $100 and as we have stayed in a lot of places on our road trip, this was a nice place for the money. For an older motel it was clean and we slept fine even with the sliding
doors, they blocked all of the street noise.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This motel was incredible! My partner and I were moving from NC to WA and stayed in 6 or 7 other motels across the country. The Lewis and Clark was by far the best. The rooms were big, clean, and cozy. There is a coffee maker, fridge, and microwave. The hotel its self has free wifi, a guest computer and printer, free coffee, tea, and cookies. It also has toiletries, snacks, and beer for sale in the lobby. And it's in downtown bozeman!

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Rumbling thunder, rushing waterfalls and pounding hooves – meaning: heavy, old sliding glass doors are the way in to every room and they rumble like thunder every time that they are opened and closed. Along with very old plumbing that creaks and crashes with a rush of water every time a neighbor uses it. Add to that the creaking and thumping in the floors/ceilings every time someone takes a step. The night we stayed was clearly musical room party night, because from 2-4am there was coming and going and flushing and showering and the stampede of a herd of hooves in the rooms overheard. The lack of integrity or accountability of the staff just added insult to injury – gotta love that “there is nothing I can do” line. We’re willing to put up with a lot, we're not squeamish about dirt, but there is nothing worse than paying any amount of money for a place where you get zero sleep. The Lewis & Clark Motel is not funky or retro or hip, it is just dirty and old with a lot of differed maintenance. Saying that it is a rip off would be kind – take your money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Spend a little more time looking for a better hotel and take your money elsewhere.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

I don't do motels, I mean I really don't do motels. I usually pamper myself with four star accommodations when I travel, but this really isn't available in Bozeman. Upon my sisters request I conceded for a cheaper lodging accommodation and booked a room at this motel. I think the last time I stayed in a motel I was still a college student. All doubts are erased the minute you walk into their family owned, historic lobby. You can see the love and care of each generation that this family owned business has put into it. The customer service rivals that of some of the best resorts I've stayed at. The amenities are jaw dropping for a "motel". And everything is clean, really clean. For anyone that has ever traveled through Montana, it doesn't take long to realize that cleanliness isn't on everyone's top priority list. If I haven't been able to convince you by now, it's your loss, not theirs. Thank you Lewis and Clark for such a memorable stay. Tippy

• Stayed July 2012
Wellsboro, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

From the nostalgic 50's music to the proximity to downtown Bozeman, The Lewis and Clark Motel was the perfect location for the first night of our recent vacation to Montana. We wanted to be within walking distance to downtown. We felt right at home the moment we entered the lobby. Lisa, manager, was very friendly and helpful. We immediately felt like we had known her for a long time. We took advantage of the many resources available in the lobby. Lisa even went out of her way to get us directions to a store we had asked about. She also recommended a great restaurant for dinner. The nostalgic 50's music was perfect for the setting. We had a lovely room on the first floor. It was large and clean. I loved the bed. We had a comfortable nights sleep. We enjoyed the continental breakfast, especially the banana bread. Check out the coffee, Cravens. Had never had it before. It was great. As we couldn't purchase it locally, Lisa even sent us on our way with some. This was a great place to start our vacation. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lewis and Clark Motel? Share your experiences!