“Rip Off” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Billings
Pocatello, Idaho, United States
“Rip Off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have a story to tell about a recent experience involving travel and motels.

In December I made a trip to North Dakota. On my return trip home (Idaho) after driving nearly 400 miles on somewhat questionable roads at about 2:30 AM I decided it would be a good idea to stop in Billings, Montana and get a room for the night. There was a Sleep Inn just off the Interstate. As I was checking-in a light snow was falling outside so I asked the clerk if he would check to see what the weather forecast was for the Billings area. He informed me that a large storm system was due to hit Billings within the hour. Knowing several mountain passes must be crossed and fearing that I might be stranded in Billings I chose to immediately cancel the room and get back on the road west to hopefully avoid the storm, which did not exactly turn out that way, but that is another story.

I finally had all I could take of treacherous 20-30 mile per hours roads, stopping in Big Timber Montana sleeping in my truck for a couple of hours in the McDonald's parking lot while snow and nearly subzero temperature conditions were outside.

When I got home and checked my credit card activity to find the charge for the room on it I immediately called the motel to ask why the charge was on my card. I was told at that time that it takes some time for the motel accounting to reverse the charges and was instructed to wait a few weeks and it would be taken care of. After the wait and no refund I called again talking with now a new motel manager who asked me to wait a little longer and assured me that he would get me the refund that he concurred was due to me under the circumstances. Another wait still no refund, calling back now I am being told I had made a reservation that was not cancelled prior to 24 hours of my stay, a reservation I did not make. Because I had not cancelled this fictitious reservation soon enough I would not get a refund.

I then called Choice Hotels of which Sleep Inn, Rode Way Inn, and I believe Ramada Inn (a lot of INNS anyway) operate the franchise. They tried or at least attempted to give the impression they were trying to get the motel to do the right thing but without success.

A lesson to be learned if I can offer one, is make sure you get something in writing from these ripoff motels if your plans change and they already have your credit card information. Finally I would encourage anyone and everyone good enough to read this to pass it along and to avoid staying at these motels especially the Billing Montana Sleep Inn. Apparently their business is in such financial trouble that they have to screw people out of their money to make ends meet.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
tamara72, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
dear jeff we apologize that you feel this way. we try to accomodate all our guest. im sorry you didnt take the opportunity to experience our full services. as i can appreciate wanting to keep driving on with good weather we do have a 24 hour cancellation policy protocol we must follow. I hope you will stay with us in the future and allow us to show you we are a great hotel.general mgr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Idaho City, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have stayed here on business before and continue to stay here. The hotel is clean, quiet and comfortable. The staff is very pleasant and very friendly. I travel frequently on business and find this hotel to be very satisfactory. I have recommended it to several friends and business contacts.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for all your wonderful comments on our hotel. we appreciate your buissness and hope to see you again soon. general mgr.
Watford City, North Dakota, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel is a must stop for us when we go through Billings, MT. The staff is wonderful and courteous. Very clean rooms and a good value in their breakfasts. Rooms are very quiet and they really go out of their way to make you feel at home.

Room Tip: Join the Choice Hotels and receive points and discounts, including free stay. They accept pets.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
thank you so much for your comments on our hotel. we appreciate your buissnes and hope to see you again soon. general mgr
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had such an awesome experience... The hotel is new and modern, clean and well decorated. They have on site laundry, free detergent, fresh baked cookies at night... Great staff... We will make it a point to stay here on our next road trip.

• Stayed January 2013
tamara72, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you so much for all your wonderful comments. we are very happy you had a enjoyable stay with us and look forward to seeing you again. we appreciate your time to fill out this survey. (General Mgr David Coughlin)
SAN ANTONIO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel made some renovations and part of that was improving the rooms. I have to say, yes the furniture is new but OMG what designer did they hire, because they should have been fired! The room I got was 1 full queen. The moment you walk-in there is practically just enough room for your medium suitcase to squeeze between the refrigerator and an odd circular structure of a wall. The circular structure is made from the oval shaped stand up shower in the restroom. Ok, and what makes this worse is the oversized desk, that doubles as a dresser and also a TV stand. That table is just too small for the room. Right next to the table is a armoire which doubles as a closet and ironing table holder. So in all from left to right on the wall to the right you have a armoire, oversized table, and refrigerator that consumes the right wall and almost the entry. Now to the left you have a queen bed that is so old that when one or two people sleep on it (this is quite funny) you roll to the center. The pillows are plush but not stiff. The sheets are new but the blankets are so old that cotton is knotted. Also, that normal plush velvety blanket that most hotels put in between the sheet and heavy blanket is so old that it is rough. Between the queen bed and right-side furniture there is a AC unit under the window that is old and temperature setting are so awkward. The walls are thin as well. The restroom: the door is a slide door that doesn't lock, the restroom is about the size of a small closet. there is only a few feet in between the toilet and shower. The odd shaped shower is suppose to be for handicaps as well and well... I don't quite see getting into the super small restroom handicap accessible. I think the only thing that makes the shower handicap accessible is that the bottom is shallow and there is a handle in the shower (in a awkward position). The Towels are stringy but very white. The Sink area which is tiny, is in the room area and is overfilled with a coffee maker and the condiments. The room is just so cluttered with oversized furniture and oddly designed. The housekeepers are awesome, nice and do a good job. The fitness room is just that a small guest room that they installed mirrors on the wall and added 3 fitness machines too, a water tank, and hanging flat screen. The 3 machine they have are: a treadmill that works, a elliptical that works but clicks as if its coming off track with loose pedals, a stationary bike that does not even turn on and the seat falls forward.
I believe the company invested too much in furniture and for that the linens, bed and design suffered. I am sure the intentions were well but I definitely would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. If you must I would say to ask how old the bed is and possibly a picture of your e...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SARA V, Public Relations Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments concerning your most recent stay with us. I have shared your comments with the hotel staff and we appreciate you and your business. Thanks to customers like you we continue to strive to improve our hotel to better serve our guests and your comments let us know that what we are doing is working.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

The room were clean and the staff were very friendly. I would stay here again next time i'm in town. The free breakfast was nice and saved me a few extra bucks and a trip to a restaurant. It was definitely one of the better values in town. Would recommend.

• Stayed December 2012
SARA V, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your most recent response . We here at the Sleep Inn continue to strive to meet our guests needs and thanks to guests like you we know that our location and hotel are fitting those needs. Once again thank you for your time and we hope to see you in the future.

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!