“Rip off” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

Save Saved
You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
Econo Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5425 Midland Road, Billings, MT 59101 (Formerly Kelly Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #31 of 46 hotels in Billings
“Rip off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011 via mobile

Worst experience ever for a hotel. I guess I showed up the wrong night given the perfect storm of events to justify price gouging. Room was not clean, the air conditioner barely worked and made a aggravating loud pop everytime it came on, the bathroom was dirty, and as others have said, the breakfast was horrible at best. Not to mention the rock hard bed. They may have enjoyed getting top hotel $$$ for a substandard room but they lost me forever as a potential customer.

• Stayed August 2011

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Dickinson, North Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We were in town racing during the PBR and we got 3 rooms worst ever beds, agree with the breakfast thing to previous comment was not worth even being freeand then to get treated like a kid when we were down there having a donut "NOT TO EAT ON THE COUCH" sorry i said . And the rate holy sh%* is all i can say 269.00 a night per room we had no choice we had to take them everything was booked and last minute decision but still come on!!! Never again the place is not worht 50.00 bucks a night. Also got bit by so kind of bug and the room wasn't very clean found bottle caps under the table crumbs between bed and night stand and all kinds off stuff on the floor under the tv area it open so you can see right under there not like i was looking for faults but we travel a great deal with drag racing and yeah!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
South San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

They charged $205 for the night. No protein in the breakfast. No milk for the cereal. No spoons for the cereal. The room smelled like mildew. The owner treated his employees poorly by admonishing them in public. Choice Privilges gave no relief when called and that is the last time i used their chain on my trip.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Billings had multiple events and there was difficulty getting rooms we went to the Econo Lodge and they told us we could have a double room for $269.99 and a single for $239.99 these were $65 and $75 dollar rooms. We were two seniors that didn't make any difference to them. We had been driving for 11 hours and wanted to rest. About 4 hours later we heard two cowboys complaining about their room price $135 for a single. That was over a $100 dollar difference for the same room (for the single). The hotel was filling up so if it was a supply and demand issue the room should have been more expensive. When I went to ask for the manager she told me it was supply and demand. I explained the above and she scowled at me and stated" You didn't have to take the room". I asked her why she wa upset, I was polite, I asked to speak to a manager to resolve a problem which I believed to be an ethical issue. She said she was the manager and the owners changed the rates hourly without them knowing. I asked to speak to the owner and got the "you didnt have to stay here". I will never stay here again, This place gives Montana hospitality a black eye, especially the city of Billings. By the way, the room was full of grasshoppers and flies, the phone didn't have a cord attached to the receiver, the ceiling in the bathroom was crumbling. The continental breakfast should be billed as a snack and treasure hunt. The milk is stored in an old milk dispenser but you have to hunt to find it. If you want to be treated rudley, stay in a below standard hotel, and pay more for a room than you do at a first class hotel in San Francisco then stay at the Econo Lodge. YOu might get upset looking at the motel 6 sign across the street flashing $65.00 so ask for a room on the back so you can hear freeway noise all night. Make sure you check for towels before you shower or you will be wet when you track down the maid. I will never stay at another Econo lodge again, they are a franchise and do not realize the impact they have on others. Attitude is everything and they have a terrible attituce. They ony consistent thing is they rip off everyone youn and old. This place is not senior friendly.

Room Tip: Dont stop here under any circumstances
Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
redcliff,alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

we stayed here aug 2 left aug 3!didnt have a choice but 2 stay here because we drove everywhere and they were the only people left,i was ready to go sleep in the parking lot but i had my son with me.it smelt like it had been smoked in,pets probably been in there smelt like old,moldy,possibly peed in but they tried to hide smell with a spray did not work,also black hair in the shower,broken chair holes in the walls.suppose to be non smoking but down the hall there was non smoking then there was smoking rooms thrown in,my son walked down the hall and when he came back he opened the door and the smoke followed.have sent emails and did a 3 way call nothing solved,very rude unbelievable the treatment i got!!!!! also it cost $183 for a dump they said it was the going rate and i said maybe for a nice place how can you call it econo(suppose to be cheaper)i talked to some people on the way out and they paid much cheaper.i think they jacked the prices cause they knew people had no where else to go so lets up the prices!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
hojo406, Director of Sales at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
The cleanliness of the hotel is our top priority sorry you ended up by the smoking hall it wa sone of the last rooms avaliable. We now have a new head housekeeper who is working on all the propertys cleanliness.
Room costs are subject to change based upon availbility, room type, numbert of persons, asw well as length of stay. Room prices are always subject to change according to whats going on in town. Hope to see you again next time you come to town.
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

You know the seedy hotels in the movies. The ones that rent by the hour and are usually the scene of some junkie's overdose... That's what this place reminded me of.

I read some of the other reviews before posting my own and can only conclude that any positive experiences associated with this hotel were either made by people with extremely low standards or by hotel management.

In a word "Disgusting".

My wife, and another couple were in Billings for a wedding and booked a room at the Econo Lodge. The price was very steep $289.00 for a one night stay, but since it was the only hotel we could find that had available rooms we went ahead and booked it. As it turns out this was just after the recent oil spill and out of town workers were taking up the majority of the hotel rooms in town to help with the clean-up efforts.

The hotel's normal room cost for a night is about $70.00 (Which in my opinion is still way too much). They were engaged in opportunistic price gouging. Since I have a degree in business and am likewise employed i understand the law of "supply and demand." I also understand the long-term value of offering goods and services at a fair and reasonable price (not to mention the ethics involved). This place was unreasonably and unfairly pricey compared the the service supplied.

We should have slept in the car... The hotel exterior, common areas and hallways were badly in need of cleaning and maintenance, but the worst part was the room. We opened the door and were greeted by the stench of mold and cigarette smoke. The carpet and bed coverings were stained , the bathroom was dirty, and the air conditioner was so loud that talking required a bit of a raised voice. The only plus was that there were no bed bugs (After walking in I half expected that the place would be crawling with them). Everything that you want a hotel to provide was missing, in its place was this nightmare of room.

We spent a very late night out on the town in Billings. Not because Billings is such a fun place to stay out all night, but because we couldn't stand the thought of returning to the Econo Lodge.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response we are working on alot of things in the hotels. The prices are always subject to change on the differnet events that are in town and also the availability of rooms. We try to give better discounts to the people who book for an extended stay. We are trying to get the hotel up to par we are cleaning carpets and getting the air conditioners worked on also we are getting the housekeepers to deep clean the rooms. So we hope you would try us out again.
Big Timber, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

During the recent (7-12-2011) oil spill and Big Sky State games this lovely (sarcasm) hotel not only gouged its customers they also stole from me. I know it is a long post but please read the entire review. PLEASE NEVER STAY AT THIS MOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called at 10:30pm on Tuesday night to see if they had any rooms. The lady that answered the phone said they had two rooms available and the price was $189.00 per night. To be honest I had to ask the lady if it indeed was an Econolodge that I had called. She then said "listen, the lobby is full of people and these are the only two rooms left, do you want them or not?" I said "Yes". We arrived at the property at around 11:00pm. The hotel is in a very "shady" area in my opinion. When I walked into the lobby there was a guy sitting outside of the hotel and he said the girls inside are waiting for us. I asked him if the rooms were nice and he said "Yes, very nice." I also asked him if he worked there and he said "Yes.". When I was checking in another man walked in and asked if they had any rooms. The other girl at the front desk told him "Yes, $169.00 per night". I said "Wow, that $20.00 less them what they are charging me." I thought I got the last two rooms?????? After this guy leaves another guy comes down stairs had was upset because they raised his rate $15.00 per night. His total was around $85.00, a steal at what I had been quoted. After checking into the motel they gave me my card. I went and parked my truck in the back of the parking lot. For the record I did not feel comfortable leaving my vehicle parked there over night. I went to my room. Upon entering the the worst smell I have ever smelled burned my nostrils and made my eyes water. The carpet had huge stains all over and the walls were patched with wall paper (real classy!). I went back down to the office to tell them I was not going to stay in a room that was so disgusting and that I wanted my money back. In comes the guy sitting out side, you remember the one I said worked there. Turns out he is the Manager. We explains to me that it was way past the cancellation time and he had to choice but to charge me for the room. I told him I would dispute the charge with my credit card company. So to summarize, if you chose to stay at this motel (please don't) check your room first. The G.M. Khan (artist) basically charged me $204.00 to open the door, determine that the room was disgusting then ask for my money back. There is a Motel 6 right across the street please stay there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
hojo406, Director of Sales at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 23, 2011
Thank you for your review. I invite you back to our hotel to see the improvements we have made. I am unsure as to why you did not feel safe in our parking lot, for the hotel is in a great location in Billings with a very well lit parking lot. We do offer a 24 hour staff as well as a Security Officer overnight. The cleanliness of our hotel is our top priority and have been addressed with our housekeeping staff and all of your concerns have been corrected.
Room Costs are subject to changed based upon availability, room type, number of persons, as well as length of stay. We do offer discounts to our guests who stay long term with us and prices for rooms are higher for suites and special events.
Thanks again and I invite you back to our hotel.

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!