“Big Spread” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 46 hotels in Billings
Portland, Oregon
“Big Spread”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is one of the most spread out hotels I've stayed in. The nice side it provides a lot of privacy and is really quite. Couple that with the comfortable beds and you'll have a nice sleep. the decor is a little outdated but then you're not paying 5 star rates. The only downside with the layout is its a long walk to the morning coffee if you're in one of the recesses (like we were). Would recommend it. Easy I-90 access

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Rochester, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Previously stayed in this motel 2 or 3 times. Very nice. Past two times used Priceline to book the room. The first time I used Priceline I got a very good rate and very nice accommodations. The last time I stayed it wasn't as pleasant. The front desk is located in a newer building with a 7 to 9 floor atrium. I thought that was the entire motel. Found out that in back of this newer building, although connected, is a 1970's era building and that is where my room was located. Although disappointed I was OK with that. Until I tried out the shower. The drain was completely plugged and maintenance had to be called to get .the drain problem remedied. I left the room for this process and returned after dark. None of the lights worked except in the bathroom. After fumbling around I figured out none of the lamps were plugged in. Next morning turned on the TV. Only sound, no picture. Went to find an ice machine. Broken. Complained at the front desk about the whole experience and was given a free breakfast coupon. The young lady behind the desk handled my complaint very professionally even though she seemed quite youthful. On to breakfast where the scrambled eggs were so dried out they had to be scraped out. Not a good experience all around.

Room Tip: Request newer building
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - The Grand Montana Billings, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Jeff W,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations, and I apologize you were not satisfied with the hotel conditions. I have taken note of your comments about the room amenities and the breakfast selection and the issues you have raised will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Janice A
Fallon, Montana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stay here alot we have always had excellent customer service and they go out of their way to accommodate any requests we have. We stay in the tower part and have never been in the older part of the hotel so I'm not sure what those rooms are like. The rooms we have had are always clean. We are always happy with our stay and let our friends and family know that this is one of the best places to stay in Billings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jason B, General Manager at Holiday Inn - The Grand Montana Billings, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hello Rosita W,
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback regarding your stay with us. We are pleased to see you are able to enjoy your stay with us. Our Tradidional Wing rooms are very nice as well. Happy to see you are Upgraded with your IHG membership to our Atrium Rooms. We look forward to serving you in the future.
Thank you.
Jason
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Montana twice during our trek to Yellowstone and back to Billings for our flight home. The facility is an atrium set up with rooms facing out on a 7 story common lobby, with waterfall. It is right off the interstate, with restaurants (Cracker Barrel) within walking distance. It seemed to be located in the middle between downtown and the newer west end of town. There is also a long wing of rooms, indoor pool, gym, restaurant/bar and ballrooms. Looks like a lot of business/association meetings happen here.

We arrived in Billings close to midnight. The hotel must have been running at capacity because the desk host had to work hard to find us a room. We landed in a 2Q room on the second floor off the atrium. Clean and comfortable bedding, and a just fine bath. It had to be one the rooms they like to fill as a last resort, because the view out the window was a large air conditioning condenser unit which was working hard all night. I understood that there were slim pickins' because of our late arrival, I always carry earplugs and that was useful in this case. We stayed in this room two nights as the inconvenience did not warrant the hassle of a room change request. As priority club members we received a certificate for a free breakfast in their dining area and two beverage tickets which helped make our stay more comfortable. The morning restaurant staff were hospitable and efficient. The breakfast buffet was ok.

We rechecked into this hotel the next week after we returned from Yellowstone. This time we were assigned a very nice two room King suite also off the atrium. After roughing it in Yellowstone, we enjoyed this room very much, especially the wifi, sitting area, mini kitchen and priority club hospitality certificates. If this had been our first room assignment, my review would be 5 stars.

We will be returning to Billings occasionally as our son has moved there. We are content to make the Grand Montana our Billings home on future visits.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason B, Manager at Holiday Inn - The Grand Montana Billings, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hello Walbe,
Thank you so much for your great experience and positive review. We strive to ensure every guest always is comfortable and can relax. We apologize for the noisy room but am please to see out Agents were able to make your next stay even better. Your review is something that helps us with knowing how customer service is going. Customer Service is our top Priority. Please stop in next time you are in Billings and say Hello.
Chapel Hill, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Some days things just go wrong, and it's no one's fault. My trip to Billings was delayed for two hours by a tornado warning at the Denver airport. The good news it that the tornado didn't touch down; the bad news (aside from being in the men's room shoulder to shoulder with 60 other captive men and women travelers) was that flights were delayed. Upon arriving at the Holiday Inn, I found that my room was already occupied. The manager and other staff members were very nice and apologetic and put me in a larger room (see picture). Although it was very warm, the manager set the air conditioning and assured me that when I got back from dinner, it would be comfortable. It wasn't. It was too late and I was too tired by that time to request a midnight visit to repair the air conditioning, so I opened the window and slept to the music of the trucks on the nearby Interstate highway. The morning was another day. My buffet breakfast in the hotel dining room was good - fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, etc. The pastries were dreadful, but the servers were very [pleasant and helpful. As other reviewers have noted, the hotel is older and in need of renovation. I didn't try the casino. It didn't seem to be my lucky day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - The Grand Montana Billings, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear GregChapelHill,

Krysllin G.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel needs some updating. There was a lot of staff around cleaning but it still seems a little dingy. I had a room in the atrium that was okay but a family member was in the far back and those rooms were really not the greatest. Also, dont expect to be able to check in on time or early. Seems to take a long time to get the rooms cleaned. Took a long time to check in also. The staff at the hotel restaurant were super nice!

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the atrium area.
Dear Jennifer H,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I am pleased to know that you found our staff super nice. Our staff members are truly the heart of the hotel. I apologize for the inconvenience the cleanliness of the room may have caused. Thank you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
Billings, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

A visit to the casino in the tower was great. Lisa in the casino was just fabulous and very courteous. The front desk help Maria and Ryan made my stay very enjoyable.
Thanks to all and see you on my next trip.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the tower area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hello Tim C,
Thank you for your Positive Feedback regarding your stay with us. We strive to ensure out Guest are taken care of to the fullest. I will be sure to let Ryan and Lisa know how great they are doing and recognize them for the Great Customer Service. Feel Free to stop in and say Hello on your next trip in.

Been to Holiday Inn - The Grand Montana Billings? Share your experiences!