“Glad I tried it but never coming back” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rex is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 278 Restaurants in Billings
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 24th St N.
Moline, Illinois
“Glad I tried it but never coming back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Heard a lot about the Rex's bar but being a fan of fine dining I opted to sit in the dining room. Wish I hadn't. From what I have heard from quite a few people if you order the "wrong thing" you will be disappointed but if you order the handful of items they are known for you will enjoy it. Apparently I ordered the wrong thing. I was charged $40 for gelatinous halibut, limp broccoli and mediocre garlic mashed potatoes. Also when they ask you what kind of salad you want with your entree (or maybe it's just the daily specials as it clearly states in the menu all entrees come with salad) you are charged for your salad, $7 to be exact for by far the worst Caesar salad I have ever had. Seriously, the bagged Caesar salad kits at the grocery store are far superior. Overall I'm glad I tried it because let's face it, fine dining is difficult to find in Billings and have heard a lot about this place. However, I will not be back and do not recommend The Rex.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

California
“Great bar, great food in Billings, MT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Very nice restaurant/bar. Definitely a must when in Billings. The food was good and the bar area is very nice.

Visited March 2013
MT
“Happiest Hours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

After wrapping up our convention we wanted to enjoy the evening and spend time with friends. The Rex was our landing spot. We enjoyed a few hours of cocktails, a little bit of food and the fire pit on the patio. Since this was February, it was as one friend put it, "upscale" camping, minus the camp chairs and wood smell. The bar staff were friendly and fun. When we wanted to step outside we stood around and laughed and talked and headed back in for more. A great spot! This summer should be even better! Final note, for the history buffs, yes, Alfred would have loved to be in on our gathering!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“Exceeded my expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This place has great curb appeal. I was going to check out the new brewery down the street but upon looking in the window, I decided against eating at a place that has ketchup and mustard bottles on the table. Someday I might check it out, but last night, I opted for the Rex. I'm glad I did. This place feels very much like typical restaurant and bar. There were quite a few TVs, but a small crowd (it was Monday night after all). I could see how this place could be a lot of fun to watch a game and eat, or sit out on the large patio for alfresco dining. I sat at the bar and kind of laughed to myself when the barkeep told me everything on the menu is good. Generally this is a sign that the bartender has non-discriminating tastes. Rarely is everything on the menu truly good, but this place may be an exception. I was feeling the need for something light and healthy, so chose the 17 spice ahi tuna salad. The tuna was blackened (in 17 spices, apparently), and it was seared to perfection. It was very fresh indeed and the spices were intriguing - a little sweet, a little savory, and a little heat all rolled up together. The salad greens consisted of a nice variety of lettuces and veggies - topped with a zingy ginger vinaigrette. There are a small but acceptable selections of beers and wines plus the full bar for any cocktail you wish. The prices were very reasonable, and I would definitely go back to try some of their other menu items. This strikes me as the type of place that may have great food which totally outshines the otherwise lackluster character of the place, which is ok if you're looking for a relaxed, casual, and non-pretentious place to enjoy some good eating.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Loud but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

The place is pretty loud and our server seemed distracted but the food was excellent. I had a steak and it was perfectly cooked. They were busy and a little slow but we had great company so it didn't seem so bad.

• 4 of 5 stars Food