“It's cheap and not worth the money” 1 of 5 stars

Western Inn Motel
3311 2nd Avenue North, Billings, MT 59101   |
Ranked #32 of 49 Hotels in Billings
Casper, Wyoming
“It's cheap and not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

You think you are getting a deal, but its not true. The price on booking.com does not include the $3 PER person fee the hotel charges PER night. This adds 10-20% on to your bill depending on the size of your family. Once in the room, you are greeted by dust, stains, old hand towels to be used as bath towels, and old cheap fixtures. When was the last time you saw a microwave with a turn dial?

The next best surprise is no fitted sheets. They just use flat sheets that don't stay on and a plastic sheet on the mattress. It's so comfortable to wake up stuck to the plastic in the middle of the night.

Some reviews claim good service, but that was not my experience. The night front desk clerk was incredibly rude and had no concept of customer service. She appeared very inconvenienced when I dared to ask one question and refused to answer it.

We will never stay here again. Sometimes trying to save a buck... Just isn't worth it

Room Tip: Read the reviews first
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
uncle2sam, Owner at Western Inn Motel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Western Inn Billings. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to post this review. I actually know that this review is blackmail because the guest(you) did not stay for the night. Your credit card had insufficient funds and you were trying to pay cash. Our policy states you must have a deposit if you plan to pay with cash upon check-in, which you did also not have enough funds for. Upon hearing this, you were upset and did not want to stay with us anymore and you also wanted to cancel the reservation. Our cancellation policy, on Booking.com, also states that to cancel a reservation you must do so 3 days prior to the reservation. This being said, you were now furious and demanded a refund. Another one of our policies also states that there are no refunds allowed unless cancelled 3 days prior to the stay. Upon hearing this also you decided to leave and did not come back to stay with us. Nothing has been charged to the guest because of insufficient funds, which the guest is also putting his credit card on hold because he does not want to pay the cancellation fee. This review was solely for blackmail purposes, and we would like to clarify that.
Western Inn Billings

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We recently stayed at the Western Inn Motel in Billings, Montana. I have traveled most of my life both for business and pleasure and have never seen a hotel that reminds you (in their 'Guest Folio') about their online review policies.

I found the room well below my expectations which were not that high given the approximately $80 paid for room, taxes, etc. The hotel did not meet my most basic requirements for cleanliness, age of mattress and room maintenance.

The staff was polite enough but it did not make up for the far less than acceptable room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Torrance, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Western Inn for one night while traveling through Montana. It was apparent that the motel tries to cut corners (very thin and small towels, curtains not adequate to block outside light, noisy fan in bathroom, etc.). On the other hand the room was adequate, the bed was reasonably comfortable, and the women who were on duty in the afternoon when we checked in and in the morning when we had breakfast were friendly and helpful. The motel also has a snack bar in the lobby that sells snacks and sodas, which is a useful feature. As we were about to leave the next morning my wife decided that she wanted an ice cream bar and so we went into the lobby to purchase one. The woman who was there for breakfast was no longer there and a man had taken her place. When we got the ice cream bar out of the freezer the man informed us that the price was $3. When I asked him why the price last night was only $1.50 he became very agitated and demanded that we pay $4.50 for the ice cream bar as though it was our fault that we were charged $1.50 the previous evening. He also accused us of stealing even though we had done nothing wrong. Considering his attitude there was no way I was going to buy anything from him so I told him to keep his ice cream bar. He then became even more obnoxious and demanded we leave, which we were happy to do since it was obvious that he was irrational. We will not be staying at the Western Inn again since we believe that it is prudent to avoid unstable people.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
westerninnbillings, General Manager at Western Inn Motel, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write this review. After you checked-out our manager checked your room, and everything was clean and functional. We are sorry that you are upset about the price of our ice cream, but you were leaving without paying and we had to call you to pay.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Late night arrival. I was charged extra for adding my minor child. Room didn't have air conditioning and was quite room. We were on the first floor and toward the alley so couldn't leave window open to cool the room. The wallpaper, bathroom, linens and carpeting look dated. for what I paid, I expected it to be nicer.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,
Almost every hotel in Montana and Nationwide states that a child staying over the age of 12 is applicable for a charge. During this season our hotel runs a central heating system because it tends to get cold and all of our rooms have windows that you can open if you are getting too hot. Also everything(wallpaper, linen, carpets, etc.) in our rooms are up-to-date. We hope to see you back soon.
Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I must preface this review by saying that this is the Western Inn Motel on 2nd Ave North (so that the Manager knows I am not confusing it with another in Billings) and also that this is not the worse place that I have ever stayed.
Having said that, I must express my disappointment that this hotel believes that it deserves the title of TripAdvisor's #1 Hotel in Billings. In fact, the hotel truck proudly displays this message on it.
At first look, it does not seem impressive--it's a standard motel, not in a ritzy part of town. The young lady at Reception was quite pleasant and had us sign the contract mentioned by others--we did not think that this was unreasonable. Upon entering the room, we noticed the wallpaper in the room had a long strip missing and a security lock was absent. The table and folding chair set was metal (the type you would have on your patio) so not conducive to sitting comfortably for too long.
The bathroom was another matter. There was wood exposed around the sink--it seemed that a decorative strip matching the rest of the vanity was missing; there was a stain on the back wall behind the vanity; there were 2 holes in the wallpaper behind the door where it looked as though a towel bar had been removed but the holes not repaired; and a small strip in the bathroom wallpaper was also missing.
All of that seemed cosmetic but what really was disturbing was the condition of the flooring and tiling in the bathroom. The linoleum had multiple black marks and gouges. The tiled baseboards seemed unclean and not merely a problem with the grouting (as the woman at Reception tried to convince us the next morning). Then we opened the door to the shower...the tiling on the wall looked equally as disturbing but the floor looked like there were years of use/abuse on those tiles. So much so, that we wore our sandals in the shower--I would not touch those tiles with bare feet.
Now to speak about the "breakfast." To add to our disappointment, all that was available was a tray of sugar doughnuts and a few muffins--that was all that there was to eat. After I poured my coffee, I was miffed that there was only powdered creamer--a cost-saving measure? Needless to say, a proper breakfast was eaten elsewhere.
In reading reviews after our return, I was surprised to see that the manager responded that all of the rooms had been remodeled. Well then, they must have missed this one.
When I attempted to express my concerns to the woman at Reception on check out, she became rude. She kept repeating that the room was good and after being shown the things that we had issues with in the room (I had shown her photos that I had taken and then my daughter went back to the room to show her in person), she denied any problems and had excuses for everything. She did not attempt even the simplest of apologies. The comment that I found most insulting was: "Nice people don't say nothing bad about the hotel."
So in summary, is it the worse place we've ever stayed? No. Is it the cleanest? No. Is it the safest? No. Am I too focused on safety and cleanliness? Perhaps. But those are my priorities and I would think the same for many TripAdvisor readers.
Again, I am very disappointed that this hotel professes to be #1 and I would like anyone giving some thought to staying here, to be wary.

Room Tip: Check the condition of the room carefully before registering.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking time out of your day to write this lengthy review. First of all i would like to state that the information you have given about the room is incorrect. ALL of our rooms have been remodeled. The furniture in the room is NOT made out of metal. Our bathrooms are very pristine (sinks, showers, wallpaper, etc.). Our housekeepers make sure that the floors and tiling are clean. Our breakfast is not just made up of donuts and coffee, but is made up of assorted pastries, fruits, cereal, and coffee. Finally, our staff is very professional, courteous, and kind.
Brest, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were on our vacation and had to stay there.
It was a nice place to stay. Nice rooms, nice food, nice environment and very friendly staff. The owner was good to us. He took us to few nearby attractions. This place is fairly priced. They do not charge much.

Thank you Western Inn Motel.

Room Tip: Ask the owner. He will show you the best one.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
We thank you for your positive feedback on our hotel. We hope we get to see you back again soon.
Thanks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We took this motel because we couldnt afford to hunt for a hotel after a tiresome flight. This was the closest one we cld find. But the moment we started getting a family like treatment, we instantly realized that it was a good bet. Good meals n good atmosphere did work well for my lovely family trip. Thank you for everything. Definitely worth every penny...

Sean and Marsha

• Stayed May 2013
westerninnbillings, Guest Relations Manager at Western Inn Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, we highly appreciate it! We are glad you enjoyed our amazing hospitality, our location, and our family-like treatment! We definitely hope you visit soon,and thanks again! "Your Home Away From Home!"
Guest Relations Manager

Been to Western Inn Motel? Share your experiences!