“Be Wary” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 45 hotels in Billings
Ontario, Canada
“Be Wary”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I must preface this review by saying that this is the Western Inn Motel on 2nd Ave North (so that the Manager knows I am not confusing it with another in Billings) and also that this is not the worse place that I have ever stayed.
Having said that, I must express my disappointment that this hotel believes that it deserves the title of TripAdvisor's #1 Hotel in Billings. In fact, the hotel truck proudly displays this message on it.
At first look, it does not seem impressive--it's a standard motel, not in a ritzy part of town. The young lady at Reception was quite pleasant and had us sign the contract mentioned by others--we did not think that this was unreasonable. Upon entering the room, we noticed the wallpaper in the room had a long strip missing and a security lock was absent. The table and folding chair set was metal (the type you would have on your patio) so not conducive to sitting comfortably for too long.
The bathroom was another matter. There was wood exposed around the sink--it seemed that a decorative strip matching the rest of the vanity was missing; there was a stain on the back wall behind the vanity; there were 2 holes in the wallpaper behind the door where it looked as though a towel bar had been removed but the holes not repaired; and a small strip in the bathroom wallpaper was also missing.
All of that seemed cosmetic but what really was disturbing was the condition of the flooring and tiling in the bathroom. The linoleum had multiple black marks and gouges. The tiled baseboards seemed unclean and not merely a problem with the grouting (as the woman at Reception tried to convince us the next morning). Then we opened the door to the shower...the tiling on the wall looked equally as disturbing but the floor looked like there were years of use/abuse on those tiles. So much so, that we wore our sandals in the shower--I would not touch those tiles with bare feet.
Now to speak about the "breakfast." To add to our disappointment, all that was available was a tray of sugar doughnuts and a few muffins--that was all that there was to eat. After I poured my coffee, I was miffed that there was only powdered creamer--a cost-saving measure? Needless to say, a proper breakfast was eaten elsewhere.
In reading reviews after our return, I was surprised to see that the manager responded that all of the rooms had been remodeled. Well then, they must have missed this one.
When I attempted to express my concerns to the woman at Reception on check out, she became rude. She kept repeating that the room was good and after being shown the things that we had issues with in the room (I had shown her photos that I had taken and then my daughter went back to the room to show her in person), she denied any problems and had excuses for everything. She did not attempt even the simplest of apologies. The comment that I found most insulting was: "Nice people don't say nothing bad about the hotel."
So in summary, is it the worse place we've ever stayed? No. Is it the cleanest? No. Is it the safest? No. Am I too focused on safety and cleanliness? Perhaps. But those are my priorities and I would think the same for many TripAdvisor readers.
Again, I am very disappointed that this hotel professes to be #1 and I would like anyone giving some thought to staying here, to be wary.

Room Tip: Check the condition of the room carefully before registering.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
westerninnbillings, General Manager at Western Inn Motel, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking time out of your day to write this lengthy review. First of all i would like to state that the information you have given about the room is incorrect. ALL of our rooms have been remodeled. The furniture in the room is NOT made out of metal. Our bathrooms are very pristine (sinks, showers, wallpaper, etc.). Our housekeepers make sure that the floors and tiling are clean. Our breakfast is not just made up of donuts and coffee, but is made up of assorted pastries, fruits, cereal, and coffee. Finally, our staff is very professional, courteous, and kind.
Thanks,
Western Inn Billings

128 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Brest, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were on our vacation and had to stay there.
It was a nice place to stay. Nice rooms, nice food, nice environment and very friendly staff. The owner was good to us. He took us to few nearby attractions. This place is fairly priced. They do not charge much.

Thank you Western Inn Motel.

Room Tip: Ask the owner. He will show you the best one.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
We thank you for your positive feedback on our hotel. We hope we get to see you back again soon.
Thanks
Western Inn Billings
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We took this motel because we couldnt afford to hunt for a hotel after a tiresome flight. This was the closest one we cld find. But the moment we started getting a family like treatment, we instantly realized that it was a good bet. Good meals n good atmosphere did work well for my lovely family trip. Thank you for everything. Definitely worth every penny...

Sean and Marsha

• Stayed May 2013
westerninnbillings, Guest Relations Manager at Western Inn Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, we highly appreciate it! We are glad you enjoyed our amazing hospitality, our location, and our family-like treatment! We definitely hope you visit soon,and thanks again! "Your Home Away From Home!"
Havre, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This hotel was okay, rooms need updating and carpets should be cleaned or replaced. Bed was fantastic! Gentleman that owns this establishment is curt and rude. The woman ( I assumed Mr. Personalities wife) is a doll. Housekeeping staff was very accommodating and kind. Non smoking room had cigarette burns in the carpet under the edge of the bed. The little balconies were great. Checking in is a nightmare, between phone calls and the "contract" we had to sign...fines for everything! If this is a 1-2 night stay, it is fine. I would not book this long term and groups, well he is charging you an extra fee if you book more than 3 rooms! Doesn't sound like good business to me...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed our comfy beds, great hospitality, and private balconies. Certain aspects of the hotel are still being remodeled, but they are in progress. Also, concerning the "contract" you had to fill in is just our guest registration, which is made by the company's attorney and is just for precautionary reasons due to previous unruly customers. Secondly, the group fee is not always mandatory, and does not concern your attention. We highly appreciate your review! "Your Home Away From Home!"
Burnsville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The guy at the desk was rude and abusive. My firend and I, ( both 68 year old grandfathers), were told we were going to jail because my friend wanted to pay cash. I had reserved the rooms a couple weeks before with my AX card. My friend was told to get off the property and when I arrived and asked for a written cancellation, he called the cops. Three squad cars pulled up and I explained what had happened and showed him my confirmation # and the police were very satisfied with that explanation. BE AWARE, go somewhere else!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you fro this review, but we know you have our hotel confused with Bourbon Street which is three blocks away. Thanks anyway! "Your Home Away From Home!"
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We only stayed at the Western Inn for one night, and it was fine, but we would not have been comfortable with a longer stay. The hotel is in the same building as what appeared to be apartments, although those were outside and the hotel part was inside where you needed a key to access the rooms. The room itself was fine, although we did need to ask for more pillows. The bathroom was clean, with the exception of several hairs on and about the sink. The shower looked to be pretty moldy, but on further inspection, it just turned out to be a messy grout job.
The front desk staff was very nice, suggesting places to eat nearby. All in all, ok for not-so-picky people like us, but not for everyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
westerninnbillings, Guest Relations Manager at Western Inn Motel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay at Western Inn Billings and the customer service as well. However, Western Inn is not and never was an apartment building. There are apartments around the hotel, but that is definitely normal due to Western Inn's location in the downtown area. Thanks again for your review, we hope you visit again! "Your Home Away From Home!"
Council Bluffs, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is a small but very nice and clean hotel. The beds are comfy, the rooms are clean, the cable is amazing, balcony rooms have an awesome view, and the breakfast is convenient. I stop by this hotel whenever I am in Billings and the staff and owners are just like family. I would recommend this hotel for people who are looking for an affordable place to stay, a clean room, free shuttle service, and breakfast that is fast and very good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Western Inn Motel? Share your experiences!