“Authentic, Awesome and Absolutely an ITALIAN gem in Billings, MT !!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bruno's Taste of Italy

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Pizza & Pasta
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Great Falls, MT
“Authentic, Awesome and Absolutely an ITALIAN gem in Billings, MT !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

There is a reason BRUNO'S ... A Taste of Italy...was voted the # 1 ITALIAN Restaurant in Billings, MT... Superb service, delicious cuisine, authentic atmosphere makes this must stop...The proprietors - Sammartinos - are experienced, accommodating and simply "thee" BEST.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Family owned gem close to I-90 exit 446”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Really specializes in pasta dishes. Loved the decor and atmosphere and the excellent service. Had a terrific ravioli.

Visited September 2012
Allen, Texas
“Friendly Staff, Average Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I had just traveled from Providence, Rhode Island where I spent a week eating at some of the most authentic Italian restaurants outside of Italy located in the historic Federal Hill district of the city.

So, perhaps, it is for this reason, that eating at Bruno's Taste of Italy came across as rather lackluster.

That is not to say the food isn't tasty. It just paled in comparison.

But if you are in Billings, and you are craving Italian, this will certainly foot sate your craving.

I started my meal with an order of Calamari. Clearly, being geographically landlocked, any fish item on a menu will not be fresh. This was never more evident than in the order of calamari from Bruno.

It was tender and the serving size was ample, but the lack of freshness was evident in the rather fishy flavor the rings of lightly breaded squid gave off.

The Caesar side-salad was okay, not the highlight of the meal.

I was about to write Bruno's off at this point, but they redeemed themselves with the spaghetti and Meatballs. The sauce was a delicious ragu, made in-house with a great blend of fresh tomato, authentic seasoning and slow-cooked to perfection.

All the pasta's aside from the angel hair variety and the gnocchi are hand-made in the restaurant (Thanks to the waitress who advised me of this) and cooked Al dente. It is toothsome and delicious and the perfect starchiness cradles the delicious sauce so each bite combines the perfect pasta to sauce ratio.

The meatballs and sausage were top notch and reminded me of Sunday dinner at my Grandmother's house.

Overall, Bruno's had its share of hits and misses, but if in Billings, and the craving for good old-fashioned spaghetti and meatballs hits...check out Bruno's. Just don't expect perfection, but accept that it is as good as you will get in the area.

Visited August 2012
Billings
“Worth every penny”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Some people complain about how much more they cost than Olive Garden or Johnny Carino's, but I think it's money well spent. Instead of having some cook in the back pull something out of a prepackaged bag they got on a truck you get quality ingredients and food that's actually made here.

Visited March 2012
Lookout Mountain, GA
“Worst meal ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Cement floors and walls, no music, echoing voices; if this gives you some idea of the first impression then you know where I'm going from here. We started with the calamari. It was foul tasting so I stopped at one bite. The sauce had red chile flakes all through it and sprinkled on top. My husband ate several bites leaving almost the entire plate full. Our server picked up the plate and never asked if it was good or not. The salad is just iceberg lettuce with one cherry tomato a cucumber slice and a few pieces of carrot. The plate was so small and salad serving so much larger than the plate it was impossible to keep it all on the plate; very sloppy. I ordered the veal Parmesan with angel hair pasta in Alfredo sauce. It was OK but the veal was not tender but thank goodness they give you a steak knife to cut it up with :) The pasta was clumpy with a sauce that had not even a hint of garlic. The bread was "choke you" dry beyond words served with a hot tomato sauce. One bite was all I could stand. We thought our server told us to go to the cashier to pay so when we did we had to wait about 15 min at the front area as several other servers ask if they could help us only to then be told our server would have to come check us out. A couple asked us as we were walking off the walk way how our meal was and we told them go somewhere else. Wish someone had told us the same before we went in.

• Visited August 2012