“Trendy wine bar feel; great value, but fairly average food.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 272 restaurants in Billings
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Denver, Colorado
“Trendy wine bar feel; great value, but fairly average food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I had a good feeling about Bin 119 as I walked up, admiring its trendy curb appeal that included spanning glass windows and dim storefront lighting. Inside, the design aesthetic had a modern urban hipness to it, and the alt pop/rock tunes just added to the character. This place definitely would fit in anywhere in a major city (so it was wildly out of place in Billings). Being a Monday night, it was understandably slow, and the corresponding service I received was first rate. My server/the bartender, "D", quickly sold me on the white bean and ham OR the French onion soup, as both were explained to be amazing. I chose the former, and it was - well, it was good. I think the A-word is probably the most overused word in the English language. Amazing, these days, must mean, "pretty good", "average", or "about what you would expect". Anyway, after learning about the $2 Bent Nail IPA special, I opted to go with beer versus wine (I'm not a wine connoisseur by any stretch, but nothing was jumping out at me...and two bucks is hard to beat for a premium local brew). Noting that the burgers and sandwiches came with soup, I decided to go for the crab cake burger and a side spinach salad. I was told the CC burger was made in house, which it might have been, but it was perfectly shaped and breaded as though it had come out of a box delivered by the Sysco truck. Nonetheless, it was pretty tasty with lots of crab and a good flavor with appropriate seasoning. The warm coconut curry sauce was as equally as good although a bit bland for a true curry. The traditional burger set of wilted leaf lettuce, tomatoes, lots of red onions, and dill pickles was where this sandwich really fell short. The bun was also sub par - either a day or two old or simply of poor quality. It was on the dry side, and a bit too chewy for my liking. I ended up only eating the bottom part. As for the salad, it too was average. The spinach was fresh. There were two moderately flavorful tomato slices, way too many red onions, which were sliced too thick, and the candied walnuts barely had any candy at all (although they tasted fresh). The dried cranberries were very tiny, and the dressing struck me as a mix of house made and food service grade. There were some unidentifiable chunks in the bottom of the dressing cup. I thought these chunks might be garlic, but frankly, I had no idea. Overall, I had a pleasant experience. The atmosphere was great, and the food was average. There are many menu choices so I would not hesitate in going back to try some of them, but probably only if I were feeling lazy and not seeking out someplace that I hadn't been before.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Fort Peck, Montana
“IN MONTANA?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Never thought I would find a wine bar like it in Montana. The food was also very good. Bit too noisy for my taste, but they know their wines and food.

Visited June 2012
Laurel, Montana
“Classy, relaxing.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

First of all, the decor is off the chain cool. The mixture of wood, rock, glass, fire and lighting bring an eclectic mood from the minute you enter. Wine is served in appropriate stemware and the selection of wine is good. The menu has variety but we expected it to be less generic. The brunch is very good. I would love to see them offer a Sunday buffet. I appreciate that they offer gluten free options for my family and friends that must avoid gluten. They have an outdoor eating area in the back that is quite wonderful but underused. I might also suggest patio heaters to extend the usable season of the patio and perhaps play music out there. Just a really great place.

Visited September 2012
Nebraska
“Tastie...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Great wine selection!!! Plus microbrews! The tapas were really great, and the mussels very nice. We were in the road and BIN 119 was a great change from the standardized fare you find most places. Priced right do enjoy

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Julian, California
“Far Better than its current standing of 27”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We were downtown and this was one of several places recommended by a local. Since we were not too hungry and were told they had a wine bar and appetizers--we went AND RETURNED the next evening!! We would have returned the third night but had early morning flights
The 2 white wines we tried were both very favorful and went so very well with our appetizers (TAPAS if you wish but large enough to share) and were reasonably priced by the glass.
Definately order the stuffed Portabello Musrooms--one of the best and we also had the Mussel one night which too were excellent.I can not remember the third appetizer but it too was excellent.
We shared everything so had a great sampling of foods.
I have no idea how Tripadvisor rates standings but thhis place should be in the top 5 or 10 and not number 27! I have had this problem several times before---
HELP!! SOMEONE NEEDS TO EXPLAN how a "hamburger place " can be 20 Restaurants above a very quality place
Not a place for small children perhaps but definately a very clean well appointed restaurant/bar which was quiet enough to have a good conversation with your date or a group. We were there in the summer which allowed for out door seating ---but in MT I would not count on it

• Visited August 2012