“Awesome trip!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Averill's Flathead Lake Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bigfork
Averill's Flathead Lake Lodge
You added Averill's Flathead Lake Lodge to your Saves list
Box 248, Bigfork, MT 59911   |
Dallas, Texas
“Awesome trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was our 5th annual girl's trip and we decided to take the guys. Our first time to Montana and we couldn't have had a better experience. Staff was fabulous, we knew most by name at the end of the stay. Great meals, truly gourmet. Lots of activities, riding, kayaking, boating, swimming in the lake or pool. Shopping in Big Fork. Only word to describe it PERFECT!

Room Tip: No TVs, just be aware. And let the wrangles know your riding experience.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I expected to have a good time... what I got was the time of my life!
It’s no surprise that Averill’s Flathead Lake Lodge is always ranked in the top 10 list
of American dude/guest ranches. I don’t feel like I’ve missed much as far as great vacations go, but the week I spent at this place goes down as #1 on my list. If you’re looking for a drop jaw beautiful location, great riding on 2,000 acres of amazing Montana countryside, water sports on the largest freshwater lake in the west-- this is your jackpot. The main lodge is like something out of a western dream with a fire that’s burning in the huge great room when you step inside for your first cup of coffee in the morning. Settle in for a delicious breakfast of your choosing. The place is pretty much run like a family ranch where you’re a welcome and pampered friend. You can go for advanced rides and arena events on some fine horses if that’s your thing. And on a windy day you can catch some extreme “rails in the water” sailing on the prettiest lake you’re likely to see in your lifetime. I visited with a childhood friend and we left the kids at home, but the families there with kids of all ages were having a blast. If you want to relax, go for gentle sails, swim in the heated pool, take yoga classes, hit the gorgeous riding trails on a reliably safe horse with an experienced wrangler as your guide, you can do all that and more. We stayed in the south lodge... our rooms faced the lake... and were warm and charmingly rustic--meaning "rustic" in the best way! The food was terrific and the saloon was a welcome story-swapping spot at the end of our jam-packed days. The staff was first class and went out of their way to keep us happy. We made some good friends and put some fantastic memories on the books. To top it all off-- the lodge sponsored five Special Forces soldiers and their families who were welcomed like the heroes they are.
If it sounds like I’d go back... in a heartbeat!!!
PS It's only 35 miles from Glacier National Park, and that's a must see!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Holualoa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The best way to describe Flathead Lake Lodge is that it reminded me of going to summer camp, but as a deluxe and five-star version. We had our entire family - 30 members ranging in age from 3 to 78 years old - and loved the entire week. My room was perfect for just me with a private bathroom and personal coffee maker. The owners and staff are friendly and helpful. Anything we requested was handled promptly and with the utmost care. It was fun watching staff members teach youngsters to fly fish and ride horses. We played all day on beautiful Flathead Lake. The meals were superb and I had to refrain from eating everything and was happy that there were always options. There are more activities than one can do in a day and the grounds are beautiful. I loved the trail ride and BBQ. Don't miss the Mouse Races. Mahalo to the Averill Family for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Beautiful breathtaking views, healthy horses, clean cabins, good kid friendly food, pools, lakes, arts and crafts, bike riding, water sports, volleyball. game room, marshmellows, cheery staff kids activities, everything perfect. ive come back so many times and never get sick of it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Flathead Lake Lodge exceeded all expectations. My husband and I visited with our two kids, 11 and 7, and my father joined us as well. We had an amazing cabin overlooking the gorgeous lake, and my dad had the adjoining cabin sharing a deck with us. The lodge and ranch have it all. All the watersports you could hope for, sailboats, canoes, stand up paddle boards, waterskiing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding; whatever you desire. Then, there is horseback riding everyday in kids groups, teen groups, and adult groups on fabulous horses through the many trails in the surrounding mountains. There are tennis courts too. The lodge itself is so lovely, food is outstanding, and they make you feel so welcome there. You can do as much or as little as you want. Swimming in the lake is so refreshing, it's the cleanest lake I've ever seen. Each one of us can't wait to go back. We met lovely people who we wil hope to see again.

Room Tip: I think all the guests were happy with their cabins or rooms in the lodge.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

The food is always wonderful, and the staff is always cheery. The heated swimming pool and the game room are always fun. Arts&Crafts is always fun for the little ones.The horses are fun and friendly and they are easy to get attached to. Loved roasting the marshmallows, using the volleyball court, riding bikes, doing water sports, jumping off of the dock, caring for the horses, watching the kids rodeo and barrel races. The wranglers are incredibly helpful. The cabins are very nice and spacey, with room for everyone. My family and I have been coming here for the past 2 decades. Always entertained and pleased, returning to so many familiar faces.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I have had the wonderful opportunity to visit Averill Flathead Lake Lodge a few times. It is hard to put into words how special and memorable the week long experience is here. Staff is very friendly and always accommodating your needs. The fun part is a majority of the staff is from all over the US, so you always find interesting conversations or meet someone from back home. The lodge also does a great job with introduces the guests and getting them to mingle. By the end of the week you feel like one big family! However, what stole my heart were the scenery and activities. Every day and night there is something to do from smores, to steak fry in the elk farm, to riding horses, doing activities on the lake, fishing, dancing, volleyball, bike riding, hiking, white water rafting, shopping in the unique town, and being part of the penning experience. You become one with the lodge as if you have lived the western life your entire life. Nothing is off limits, because they make you feel like the lodge is your home. And nothing is more spectacular then watching the sunset over the beautiful lake. You can be sitting on the dock, at the pool, on the grass, or tucked away on a chair. The view is one of a kind. Last but not least I cannot forget to mention the food. Every meal has plenty of options and tastes delicious. They graciously accommodated allergies, and food preference (fish fry night I asked for chicken).

There is no place like the lodge, because it is like home. I look forward to the day I can go back. My heart ached for a few days after I left because it was so hard to not wake up to crystal clean air and see a lake outside my window. If you need a family vacation, a solo getaway, or a western experience the lodge is the place to go.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Averill's Flathead Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!