“Best week of my life.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sweet Grass (Dude) Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Big Timber
Sweet Grass (Dude) Ranch
You added Sweet Grass (Dude) Ranch to your Saves list
The Carroccia Family, 460 Rein Lane, Big Timber, MT MT 59011   |
Special Offer
Horseback Adventures!
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Big Timber
Farum, Denmark
“Best week of my life.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Me and my daughter spent a fantastic week at Sweet Grass Ranch in August 2013.

As a total novice rider, it was with some excitement that I sat on the horse for the first time, but the friendly and competent wranglers are doing everything they can to make you feel secure with your horse, and they will gladly give you the opportunity to try another horse until you are satisfied.
The owners Shelly and Bill Carroccia , the rest of the family and staff are among the most hospitable people I have ever met . They take pride in you as a guest to have the most perfect experience.
The area around the Sweetgrass Ranch offers many opportunities for different types of riding. In the week we were there, no two days were alike.
With 45 minutes to the nearest highway, no TV, no cell reception you soon feel relaxed.
Meals are eaten together with the family and wranglers in a informal and cozy atmosphere and often consists of fresh local produce and is of high quality.

All this helped to make the week one of the best experiences of my and my daughter's life. The only downside is that we only had one week there, i wish we had booked two.

I sincerely hope that - in fact I'm sure - one day I will return to this paradise on earth.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This truly was the most fantastic holiday of my life! I wish i'd come sooner and I know i'll be back next year!
From the start I knew I was going to enjoy it before I got there, all my life i've wanted a horse of my own so to be given one for a week was like a dream come true. What I wasn't expecting was to absolutely love Sweet Grass. The ranch is in a stunning valley in the middle of nowhere and it would have to be one of the most beautiful places i've ever been.
This is not a 'Luxury 5 star' ranch where you sit around and get waited on, it's a working ranch that caters for guests. I stayed upstairs in the ranch house and shared a bathroom. The bed was comfy and to tell you the truth I hardly was at the ranch because I was out riding all day (which is why you are there), I was more than happy to flop into bed at the end of the day. The food is amazing and I loved sitting down with everyone, it felt like a big family.
My Horse was fantastic and we were matched perfectly. They even match a saddle to you. You can change both if you're not happy but I didn't need to.
The Wranglers are great, I rode with Laura most of the time and she was fantastic! Talk to your wrangler about horses or anything at all, they are really friendly!
I was lucky enough to muster cattle with Rocco and that was one of the best days! It was a long day in the saddle but well worth it, I felt like a real cowgirl!
Get up early and do a sunrise ride I promise you won't be disappointed!
I also loved barrel racing and riding bareback! Ask the wranglers and they can accommodate all of your riding needs. If you have any concerns they are really approachable and happy to help.

I would recommend Sweet Grass to anyone wanting a rustic/comfortable ranch experience. You come here to ride not sit around the ranch and be waited on. I barely sat still the whole time and I didn't have time to do anything around the ranch like go in the hot tub or play on the pool table I was literally out riding the whole time.

I loved it so much and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The main house is great if you are a solo traveller like I was, you have instant friends upstairs...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just got back from Sweet Grass Ranch, really didn't want to come home!!
The family and staff are very friendly and helpful. The food was homemade and very tasty.
The horses are lovely. Every evening we were asked what we would like to do the next day, and they managed to accommodate everyone including experience riders and those not so experienced. The ranch is kept clean and tidy.
The scenery is stunning. I enjoyed relaxing in the hot tub with a glass of wine after a long day in the saddle soothing my aching muscles, overlooking the mountains.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Clifton, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The setting is breathtaking. The accommodations rustic, clean and lovely. Food is excellent. However, the wranglers are not interested in working with guests if they are not repeat customers, friends of the ranch, or pretty young girls. Experienced riders who do not fall into one of these categories will find themselves unheard and ignored. If you go with good company, you will enjoy yourself. But if you come for the riding, don't have a connection, and expect first class treatment, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Perfect in every way. Weather, staff, food, cabins, and horse were just outstanding. Family who runs it make it a very special place. We're so glad we got a chance to experience it. Best vacation ever!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Inverness, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I have felt let down by Trip Advisor. We spent a week on this ranch and it was not as expected. I had researched and thought I had made a good choice. Granted we visited the first week of the 2013 season and they were short staffed. As a first impression the ranch looks untidy and badly maintained albeit it is in a beautiful setting. Our cabin was very disappointing, it was cold, not in the least cosy and very hard to heat, not in keeping with the standard of other ranches I have been on in a similar price range. The food was very good but there was nothing to tell you what was on the menu nor an choice if it was not to your taste. There was no access to daytime tea or coffee. The horses are excellent and there are plenty to choose from and they were very fresh at the beginning of the season. There does not seem to be any head wrangler so no saddle fittings and the standard of riders was extremely varied so experienced riders were disadvantaged but having to mainly walk for inexperienced riders.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I first found Sweet Grass when I was looking for an authentic ranch experience. I've now been a guest for more than 20 summers. It's like having you own summer place but without the winter hassle. The people are great (Carrocias, guests and staff alike), the horses well trained, the scenery gorgeous and the food plentiful (and delicious). Now matter what else I do, my year doesn't seem complete without a trip to Sweet Grass.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
320 Guest Ranch
320 Guest Ranch
#4 of 5 in Gallatin Gateway
4.5 of 5 stars 226 reviews

Been to Sweet Grass (Dude) Ranch? Share your experiences!