“One of my favorite places on earth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sweet Grass (Dude) Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Big Timber
Sweet Grass (Dude) Ranch
You added Sweet Grass (Dude) Ranch to your Saves list
The Carroccia Family, 460 Rein Lane, Big Timber, MT MT 59011   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Big Timber
Cleveland, Ohio
“One of my favorite places on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I first found Sweet Grass when I was looking for an authentic ranch experience. I've now been a guest for more than 20 summers. It's like having you own summer place but without the winter hassle. The people are great (Carrocias, guests and staff alike), the horses well trained, the scenery gorgeous and the food plentiful (and delicious). Now matter what else I do, my year doesn't seem complete without a trip to Sweet Grass.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Woodinville WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

My husband and I have been going to the Sweet Grass Ranch for four years; we book our stay for the following year before we reluctantly leave each summer. The Sweet Grass natural environment is goregous and the daily horse ride options provide numerous ways to experience the wonderful clean air and mountain vegetation in the company of lively wranglers. And for those who don't feel like riding there are many other enjoyable ways to spend their days. Three generations of the thoughtful and interesting Carroccia family are available on site to ensure that every guest's stay is memorable. I hope you decide to visit Sweet Grass Ranch!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Sweet Grass Ranch has been our annual vacation for 25 years running, As another reviewer said, it's a home away from home for us and many other guests who return each year to enjoy the Carroccia family hospitality, unsurpassed mountain scenery and riding. The ranch horses are surefooted and dependable: novice riders are carefully matched to their mount for a ride that's enjoyable, memorable and confidence-building. Experienced riders will not be disappointed in the pace or riding opportunities, Guests who don't wish to ride have abundant alternatives: hiking, fishing, snoozing in a hammock or taking day trips to historic Montana locations such as Yellowstone Park, the Big Horn battlefield and other points of interest. Cabins are rustic but comfortable. The food is expertly prepared and plentiful ...you won't go hungry at Sweet Grass Ranch. This ranch will exceed your expectations -- guarantee you'll want to come back for another glorious Sweet Grass vacation!

Room Tip: My husband and I have dibs on the bunkhouse cabin...seriously, there isn't a bad room at the ran...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

My father first brought me along with him Sweet Grass Ranch in 1986, after he had been there the two years prior. We have not missed a year returning to this place I call Heaven on Earth! SGR is wonderful – you will enjoy the abundance of trails, wildlife and beautiful scenery. You can stay a week and never go to the same destination twice. If you are not a horse person, but enjoy hiking and fishing you will not be a bit disappointed either.

Room Tip: Cabins or the Main House - wonderful accomodations
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Mequon, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Sweetgrass Ranch this past June. The stay was wonderful! Everyone in the Carroccia family goes above and beyond to make you feel comfortable and at home from the moment you first arrive. This is a working ranch; the family embraces you and lets you get involved as little or as much as you would like. The horses are great, the cattle drive was perhaps one of the most incredible days in my life, the food and fellowship in the lodge are exceptional, and the setting on the Sweetgrass River in Big Timber canyon is full of breathtaking beauty everywhere you go. We will be back with our grandkids!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
dublin, ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2008

I went to Sweetgrass Ranch a couple summers ago, and it was the best experience of my life. It was all about doing what I love best - riding horses all the time. There's no TV, one telephone in the main lodge, and it's set back in the middle of nowhere. The scenery is stunning. My experience cannot be described in words, and I would go back in a heartbeat if I weren't so busy all the time. It's a great place to relax and have fun. The people are always friendly and happy to help out with whatever you may need. It feels just like home in the sense that it's where you want to be everyday for the rest of your life. Granted, you have to love and appreciate horses, but even if you don't, this will make you fall in love with them. I don't know how to put it in words, but Sweetgrass Ranch was a priceless, amazing experience.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2006

We won a trip to the Crazy Mountain Ranch in Montana and it was by far one of the best places we have visited. If anyone ever gets the chance to visit this place they should. The staff was so nice and everyone done everything to make our stay the best ever.

Been to Sweet Grass (Dude) Ranch? Share your experiences!