“nice lodge we will be back” 4 of 5 stars

River Rock Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   88 Big Pine Drive, P.O. Box 160700, Big Sky, MT 59716   |
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Big Sky
seattle
“nice lodge we will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

comfy and clean good breakfast only thing missing was internet in the rooms (available in the lobby )

Room Tip: internet special
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Had a last minute opportunity set a family visit to Yellowstone. After having to change the scheduled week again at the very last minute, we found that all of the traditional Yellowstone Park locations were full. Booked the River Rock Lodge with much trepidation (was it too far from the Park?, would the family like it? and so forth). As it turned out, the trip to West Yellowstone is only 45 minutes on a very good road. We made half of our wildlife sitings in the segment of the BigSky-West Yellowstone road that traverses the NW segment of the Park; including our only two grizzly sitings, a moose and calf, and one bald eagle ("eagle in the tree!!!" shouted our eleven year old). Our strategy of three trips into the Park every other day was perfect. We saw the Park and got to know Big Sky and all its surprises as well.

Big Sky itself was welcoming, nice, and had more services with less crowds than West Yellowstone. We had a fantastic Class 4 whitewater rafting trip as a family there, we hiked to the base of Ousel Falls (not to be missed), we found the Hungry Moose Deli to be one of the trips special surprises (within walking distance of the hotel). We couldn't get a guide for fly fishing but the fisherman were everywhere on the Gallatin with lots of backwater pools and foam lines. There is a zipline (we were thundered out) and a high-level (not for beginners) mountain bike circuit further up the mountain. There are two golf courses with the one at Moonlight Basin in a spectacular setting. Couldn't play either due to all the activities but saw Moonlight and the Village courses.

We found more than enough restaurants (breakfast outdoors every morning at the Bugaboo was pure magic with eagles overhead).

The trip was made all the better by our selection of the Vista Suite in the River Rock(also at the last minute). The cost was a bit higher but well worth it. I am one who likes to have coffee on a terrace in the morning; the suite has one. It is located just above the WiFi router for the hotel so our reception and speed was among the best we've experienced anywhere. That breakfast area was convenient enough to the Suite to allow morning shuttling back and forth for outstanding muffins, coffee, and whatnot. The mountain views were very good and the crisp air was invigorating especially when reading about summer time temperatures everywhere else.

So - things worked out and I would recommend highly the Vista Suite at the River Rock. The wife said she could have stayed another week (as we still had things to do)...... what more can I say.

Room Tip: Book the Vista Suite. Faces north, but otherwise perfect and roomy
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
West Milford, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I just returned from a 5-night stay at this hotel. I went with my husband and my parents. We had never been to Big Sky, MT and had a wedding we were attending up at Moonlight Basin resort. We knew that Moonlight Basin was at a higher altitude (approx. 8,000 ft.) and wanted something a little lower in elevation since my husband is prone to altitude sickness. The hotel is located in what is known as "the meadows" of Big Sky. There's a golf course about 2-minutes away and there are LOTS of restaurants and stores within a short walking distance. This proved helpful when my husband's altitude sickness acted up again and we had to make a few trips to the nearby grocery (The Hungry Moose) to buy water and other supplies. We were able to explore different restaurants (i.e. Choppers, By Word of Mouth, and Lotus Pad) because they were all a minute walk from the hotel. We actually liked this hotel's location better than Big Sky Village because there wasn't such a claustrophobic feel in "the meadows" and we had more of a selection of restaurants and stores. However, if you're skiing, I'd definitely recommend staying in Big Sky Village, since location is everything. Don't be surprised, though, if you find yourself driving down to "the meadows" for a bite to eat. As for the actual hotel, it was very clean. They put out a nice spread for the Continental breakfast. If you're craving something warm for breakfast you can always head over to the Blue Moon bakery for breakfast sandwiches. My only complaint is that the walls are a little thin and if you're a light sleeper, you may find yourself waking up to the sounds of earlier risers, especially if you're on the lower floors.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011 via mobile

Traveling across the US and stay at a different hotel each night, this hotel is by far the nicest we've stayed at out of the last 8 hotels in the last 8 nights. Nicely decorated, rooms are spotless and very comfy. Hotel is walking distance from dinning and shopping and wasn't over priced. We will be staying here every time we are in Big Sky and highly recommend it to others!

• Stayed July 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011 via mobile

This hotel is of great quality, style & ambiance. All the things you would expect from a ski holiday resort town hotel. The most attractive part for me was getting the ski lodge ambiance at a regular hotel price ($99) during a walk in special. Normally the charge $175 or so I was told. I found them @ last minute through hotels.com (highly recommend that site too). Everything was better than I expected so I stayed a 2nd night. It is all about price for me & the $99/night special is the reason I stayed. I came to Big Sky to snowboard for the first time and the staff @ check in (Mike) gave me lots of tips on where to go for food, fun etc. Also, told me how to earn 10% off from other local businesses by showing the room key. On the negatives the continental breakfast is only ok, however their coffee is top notch. I enjoyed myself... hope you do too.

• Stayed April 2011
US native
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011 via mobile

We stayed for spring skiing and (knowing the scarcity of dining at the mountain base) chose this lodge style hotel for it's location. Very comfortable stay in a double queen room, with refrigerator and coffee maker. Microwave in the lobby area. Good cereal and muffin breakfast each morning which we really enjoyed, but no eggs, etc if you're expecting more. Staff was friendly. Advantage of this lodge is it's location near a number of dining options, grocery store, and sports store all in walking distance.

• Stayed April 2011
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

We stayed here based on a recommendation on Trip Advisor. I guess I didn't realize how far it was from Yellowstone. We were staying two nights and had planned to return the Yellowstone on the second day, but we liked the lodge so much, we decided to just stay around Big Sky on the second day. We knew we would be returning to Yellowstone later on our trip so the day of leisure was very nice. The room was on the second floor. There was no elevator. The room was very cozy. The view from the window overlooked a parking lot and an adjacent restaurant and other stores. (We ate at the restaurant, Choppers, both nights. It was very good.) The bed was very comfortable. There is no public computer. You had to get ice at the front desk. There was a hot tub outside, but it was not readily available to use. The staff offered to remove the cover, but we decided we didn't need to use it. This property is locally owned by a group of investors. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to River Rock Lodge? Share your experiences!