“Heaven on Earth” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Big Sky
Fairlawn, Ohio
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

We stayed at the Big EZ for our 35th anniversary and will never be able to replicate the wonderful time we spent there. Montana and Wyoming are lovely. The Big EZ is just that. Big and very easy to get used to. The staff (all of them) are like family. We didn't want to leave them behind. Polo, our chef, there are no words. We thought about what he would make us next. He made me special sugar-free desserts each night and I didn't ask for them. I could go on and on. It is pricey and there is no air conditioning in the rooms, but I'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the Big EZ in July of this year. WOW. Gorgeous, immaculate, warm, cozy, comfortable, hospitable, breath-taking, thoughtful...I could go on and on. The setting is breath-taking and wonderfully isolated. The food is to die for, well presented, and generously portioned. The staff welcomed us like family. Truly, it was an absolutely astounding place which we whole-heartedly recommend!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

I was apprehensive about this 10-day vacation to the Big EZ in Big Sky. I usually have an entourage with me on vacations, consisting of my two daughters and their boyfriends, friends, etc. I decided to go this one alone - no sight-seeing, no beaches. The staff and other guests could not have made me feel more like a part of their family, but I had plenty of time and space on my own which was the purpose of the trip.

They picked me up at the airport at midnight, and upon discovering there was not a laptop in my room (unlike my last brief stay eight years ago), there was one installed by the time I returned to my room from breakfast the next morning. This was only the beginning of their comprehensive and courteous attention to service. I really don’t know where to begin to describe my ten days at the Big EZ.

My room was immaculate and I made it my home/office away from home/work for ten days. The food was amazing, and small portions were served at my request. Leftovers were made into incredible lunches for hiking the next day. Their wine list still makes me smile.

When I walked too far, they sent some one to pick me up; when I needed to get somewhere too far, they drove me with little to no notice, and I put in 5 to 20 miles of hiking/walking each day. Though I am not activity-oriented, the activities they coordinated had the best gear and guides I have ever experienced. John of East Slope Outdoors made a day of fly fishing on the Gallatin one of the most memorable experiences of my life. Polo is a great chef, Felicia a great server and hiker, and Jolene a great server and Pilates instructor.

Lava Lake and Storm Castle are two hikes you don’t want to miss. Ouzel Falls is also a nice little hike to warm up in higher elevations.

The Big EZ Lodge is an incredible destination; not one of the guests wanted to return home.

Thank you Jackie, Carey, Polo, Kevin, Jolene, Felicia, Chaz, Hannah, Jackson, Sue, Mark and Brett. Sorry if I missed anyone. Thank you for one of the best vacations ever,

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

My husband and I just returned from our vacation to Montana and Wyoming. We spent three wonderful days at the Big EZ Lodge just outside of Big Sky. With only a dozen rooms, guests receive personalized attention, yet feel as if the entire property is their own. The Chef masterfully creates daily menus that are not simply meals or courses, but are true dining experiences with the finest and freshest produce and proteins. His careful and thoughtful planning demonstrates true pride in what he prepares. Cathy, Jackie, and Pam could not have been more pleasant or helpful. We appreciated their gracious hospitality throughout our stay. Our accommodations were true western luxury. At night we enjoyed a breeze through our windows, which brought in the peaceful sounds of a stream outside. Not only a highlight of our vacation, but one of the best experiences of all of our travels. We look forward to returning!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Fordyce, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

We recently returned from a five night stay at the Big EZ Lodge and could not have been happier with the experience. First of all, this Lodge only has thirteen bedrooms, so you not only become well acquainted with the staff, but with the other guests as well. The level of service we received at this property was absolutely over the top. They will literally bust a gut trying to satisfy your every need.

There are a few things you need to know about the property before booking, however. It is very remote. From Big Sky, you enter a gate and drive for 10 minutes without seeing another vehicle or structure (though there are a few homes well hidden). When you arrive, you are greeted by the most awe inspiring view imaginable. Due to the isolation, there are very few activities nearby. This is strictly a location for resting and relaxing. When you leave for an activity, make sure to do all your business before returning.

The Lodge has an excellent free form hot tub, croquet, bocce, horseshoes, trout ponds and an elaborate 18 hole putting course. I'd be remiss in not pointing out that the putting course was in very poor condition during our stay. Nevertheless, we had a hoot playing it.

The previous viewer was disappointed with the food and I'd vehemently disagree with his opinion. First, breakfast and lunch do provide options. In addition to an "omelet of the day", there is also a daily "three egg scramble" that includes ingredients such as trout, salmon, cream chese, etc. There is also either pancakes or French Toast, and an option of eggs, bacon, sausage and toast in any form you wish. Lunch has several options as well.

It is true that the dinner menu is relatively fixed, however at each evening meal, we were asked if we had any problems with the menu or wished to make any special requests. My wife was originally unhappy with the idea of a fixed menu, but we ate five dinners at Big EZ Lodge and every single one of them was magnificent.

In addition to the on-site activities, staff will gladly fix you up with golf, whitewater rafting, fly fishing, adventure sports, Yellowstone tours, massage or anything else within their power. I can't stress strongly enough the friendly and solicitous nature of the staff. Thanks again, Cathy, Jackie, Pam, Chas and Chef!

Finally, this experience is not for everyone. It is not inexpensive, though when you factor in that three meals/day are provided, it is not outrageous. The isolation and the gourmet quality of the food make it somewhat inappropriate for families with small or even teenage children. Not only will they likely be "bored" or dissatisfied, due to the nature of the Lodge, they could also ruin the experience for the other guests. Young adults who like to "run wild" would be better served in town.

This property is ideal for newlyweds, romantic getaways, family reunions (either renting the entire property or leaving the young ones at home), corporate retreats or more mature family units. We took our 19 and 22 year old and they were very satisfied with the experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

The property is beautiful. The views, the putting green, game rooms, books, etc.: and you certainly can't beat the enormous free-form hot tub. However, my husband and I splurged on the stay for our anniversary, and were disappointed. The rooms are beautiful but services are basic. For the price, I would like to pick what I am to have for dinner and breakfast, not be at the whim of the kitchen. The fixed menu was a bit disappointing, as I could see what the chef was capable of but really would have rather had a choice. One menu option for breakfast (the "omelet of the day"): seriously? Too pricey for your "options".

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

We have just returned to the UK after our 3 week trip to Montana, Dakota, Wyoming and Arizona which included 3 nights at the BIG EZ Lodge.

Our stay at this incredible lodge was one of the most memorable and enjoyable experiences we have had on any vacation. Everything about the Lodge is simply stunning from the Montana room we stayed in, to the amazing location (what a place to watch the sun rise over the mountains!), to the peace and tranquillity and of course that incredible gourmet food. The lodge is simply beautiful and creates the most wonderful environment in which to rest and use as a base to explore Big Sky - if you hike, make sure you do the Beehive Basin hike - about 7 miles and just beautifull with stunning scenery - palying snowballs in 80 degrees is just great!
.....and of course nothing beats coming back to the hot tub and then a beer and their wonderful cookies on the terrace late afternoon!!

Above all though, the service is really one of a kind from the excellent low key and relaxed arrival (what a drive to the private location - past nothing but trees, meadows and great scenery!) to never having to sign for things until check out, to the complimentary soft drinks fridges around the lodge and the overall ambiance, we really felt more like we were visiting friends. An amazing experience.
Best of all were the team at the BIG EZ. Everyone was so relaxed and friendly and so helpful and made our stay one of a kind.
We felt like we had made new friends and we really must mention Chuck who looks after breakfasts - he is one of the nicest and most genuine people we met on our tour.

When it comes to Lodging in one of the most beautiful locations, then the BIG EZ must simply be the very best there is....surely!!??!

Happy to answer any queries.......

• Liked — Location, food, only 13 rooms (great), buidling and environment and great service
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike...it was perfect!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Big EZ Lodge? Share your experiences!