“Best Lodging Experience In Years” 5 of 5 stars

Big EZ Lodge
7000 Beaver Creek Rd, Big Sky, MT 59716   |
Ranked #10 of 15 hotels in Big Sky
Brooklyn, NY
“Best Lodging Experience In Years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

Was looking for an "authentic" western experience trip without all of the families (sorry) at a dude ranch and the blandness of a chain.

Found the Big EZ and found heaven on earth.

The price isn't for the faint of heart, but it does come with some of the best food you've eaten ever (Polo, the chef, beats Le Cirque any day, and NYC doesn't know how to make Elk taste beter than filet).

The service is to die for. You'll get set up with the best local outfitters--we got a woman who is basically Annie Oakley for a private ride into a game reserve, and the best damn fly fishing guide--we caught NINE rainbow trout when experts across the way got nothing.

Then they have a 20 person "hot tub/relaxation pool" that basically acts like an infinity pool overlooking pristine mountains--and the occasional moose.

Everyone there could not be nicer. Look for Chuck, the retired neo-natal doctor cum kick-butt breakfast chef (he'll give you his recipies if you ask nicely). He's just looking for some good conversation and to show you his "petws"--including a two ton steer.

For two girls from NYC, we came city slickers but left friends. Who could ask for more?

• Liked — The location is one of a kind, but the staff make you feel like home
  • Disliked — Sometimes the room service wasn't great-beds not perfectly made, etc.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
seattle, wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2007

We drove from Seattle out to Montana, camping and staying in hotels like the Best Western. We booked two nights at the Big EZ and showed up with our wagon totally covered with dust and packed full of dirty camping gear. They greeted us and told us they would unload our car while we checked in. After checking in, we went to our room and they had neatly piled all our camping gear as well as our suitcases. They had completely emptied our filthy dirty car into their beautiful room which I thought was kind of funny. We had a great time, our room was beautiful and clean. We ate all our meals there and went out on fly fishing trips during the day. We were there just after school was out and before the snow which is kind of a perfect time to be there for a romantic weekend. The kids are gone and the skiers aren't there yet.

We had one extraordinarily memorable meal there. We booked their special 5 course (I think it was 5 course) meal paired with wine. We were the only people eating dinner there that night and we felt like royalty. The cook came out to talk to us about our food and we got amazingly tipsy because we dont' usually drink that much. The food was great and it was the first time I had ever tried bison and pheasant. It wasn't the best wine pairing I have ever had (that was at Le Cinq in Paris) but it was still extremely enjoyable.

Oh yes, the best part of the whole trip was sitting in their 17 person hot tub with my now husband drinking champagne looking at that view. Nobody was around but us and it was one of the most romantic moments of my life.

• Liked — the beauty
  • Disliked — that it ended
  • Stayed September 2004, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

At close to $700 a day, plus 20% service charge and taxes, Big E-Z Lodge is overrated.

Hidden away up a narrow winding road at 7,500 feet, the views are spectacular, but if you go in the summer be sure to ask if your room is air conditioned. Ours wasn't; only rooms on the main floor have air conditioning, a fact the hotel did not mention when we booked our stay. We were given a fan to try to cool down the room but it was noisy. Although the windows open, there are wooden perpendicular barriers outside the windows that seemed to keep breezes from the room and there are lights right outside the rooms that remain on all night, which means you need to close the shutters. (The better to keep the bears away? We couldn't get an answer.) We switched to a more expensive room ($780 plus 20% service charge and taxes) for half of our stay because it had a door to the outside, which we thought would provide more air. However, the door didn't have a screen and it couldn't remain open.

The staff provides wonderful service, and are friendly and helpful. They arrange tours to Yellowstone, or for fly fishing and kayaking, and pack a huge back pack with your lunch. The food is good (and all you want); the kitchen will accomodate special requests. Our weather was too hot to enjoy a spell in the hot tub, and while the hotel offers guests lots of privacy, during out stay half the 12 rooms included children, who were quite noisy.

• Liked — Helpful staff, good view, fairly close to Yellowstone
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
indy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2006

If you are lucky enough to go to the BIG EZ, you will have a stay you won't forget. Excellent food, great service, great rooms and many special homey touchs like fresh baked cookies, laptops in your room, comfy beds and peace and quiet. Great staff.

• Stayed September 2004
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2005

I booked a trip to Big Ski Montana looking for a place that had great reviews from trip advisor.

I found a place that was called the BIG EZ. After a few hours of research, I made my choice. I made the resverations over the phone (in advance) with the resort and in no time I was on my way to the airport to begin my trip.

When we arrived, they had someone there at the airport to greet me and help collect my luggage. The car was already running with the heat on and was fully stocked with drinks.

The trip to the lodge was a sight to see. .. the mountains covered in snow. Comming from Florida it was just unbeliveable.

We arrived at the resort and was greeted by a professional staff. We had the complete tour and then was asked if we wanted something to eat. When we said yes, we assumed there would be a menu to choose from.

We were told that the cook would make us what we needed, and were offered some suggestions. Burgers,sandiches, etc.... So we had a burger.

Let me tell you, it was one of hell of a burger !
I really didn't think it was the cook at that time, I just thought I was just starving from the plane flight.

That was the beginning of a vacation filled with suprises. .. The service at this place is the best I have ever had. Have you ever read the book "RAVING FANS" ?

Raving fans are not born they are created. .. This place is the place where raving fans get created.

Now, back to the service ... . I have traveled to many different places and have experienced many different levels of service. This place was like MY PLACE for the time I was there.... If I wanted something to drink (cocktail) after the kitchen was closed, I was told to just go into the kitchen and grab a beer from the cooler.

The whole time I was there the staff would call me by my first name.... I never once told them what my name was !.. . They made me feel right at home. Whenever I would go eat some food, by the time I got back to my room, the room would be completely cleaned.. and a new fire would be buring. (wood burning fireplaces in the rooms).

The food was to die for.. .... great attitude from the chef... it seemed as if he had free rein to make whatever creation he wanted for the night.. and everytime it was FANTASTIC.

The room we stayed in was the Montana room, a must have... if you can ,... go for the Lone Star suite.
The Lone Star Suite is your own million dollar lodge that has a resort staff to wait on you.. ... .

I can go on for hours about this place... so many activities to do: (sking, dog sledding, snowmobiling, etc.. )

I will be glad to answer any of your questions about this place.... I also have 83 pics I took, so if you need to see what Heaven looks like send me an email.

tvalle@tampabay.rr.com

• Stayed December 2005
McLean, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2005

Big EZ excels in all categories: luxurious lodging, exceptional meals, superior service and the best of Big Sky scenery in a relaxing environment. It is the little things that make a big difference -- such as a great "back pack" lunch to enjoy on a day trip to Yellowstone. We enjoyed every minute of our escape to Big EZ. Congratulations to Scott and his team on providing guests a 5-star experience.

• Stayed August 2005
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2004

The Big EZ is all you could wish for in a vacation destination. Luxurious accomodations; great food and an incredible staff. It is not inexpensive, but well worth it, Wonderful amenities and close to Yellowstone.

Been to Big EZ Lodge? Share your experiences!