“Amazing first time experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 23 Activities in Big Sky
Type: Water sports, Sightseeing Tours
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Montana Fly Fishing Trips near Big Sky Montana.
La Canada Flintridge, California
6 attraction reviews
“Amazing first time experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We came to GRG to experience fly fishing for the first time. We did the 2 hour walk and wade with our guide Kevin. I must say that Kevin is the nicest, most patient guide we've had. He was very helpful, knowledgeable and I really liked how he kept our 2 kids (ages 11 and 8) entertained. I highly recommend this company and would not hesitate to hire them again in the future.

Visited July 2013

Lino Lakes, Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
“Flyfishing at it's Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

What a fantastic experience! I took a two hour walk & wade tour with GRG on the Gallatin river near Big Sky, MT, these guys are outstanding. Pat and his staff are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

This was my first time ever hiring a guide for fishing, my guide Blake was great. He brought me out to a wonderful location, within minutes I had hooked into my first Brown trout of the day, which was quickly followed by a Rainbow and a Mountain Whitefish. 13 fish later my two hours were over too quickly.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in fly fishing. Thanks GRG for a great trip.

Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Outfitter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Two days of amazing fishing, Madison and Yellowstone, too many fish to count. Aaron was an awesome guide, hope to return soon! Fly shop is also well stocked and great source of information.

Mequon, Wisconsin
“Excellent Guiding by Pat Straub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My son and I had a fabulous time fishing on the two rivers Pat guided us. We landed probably over 20 fish on the upper Madison River. On the Yellowstone which could have been iffy because it was running fast and the water was a bit cloudly. We ended up landing over 30 fish. We lost many fish and missed several srtikes on both rivers. We caught several nice Browns and Rainbow trout. Did we have some great jumpers both Rainbows and Browns!

Pat is a really delightful person, out going, very entusiastic about fishing and gives you good tips on how to fish the rivers. He is extremely knowlegdeable about flies and trout. I would definately ask for him to guide us the next time we go out to Montana.

Roger S. Smith

Santa Maria, California
“Absolute Best Fishing Experience Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

How do you spell perfection? It's easy, GRG. Pat Straub and his team orchestrated the trip of a lifetime for my wife, myself, and our 23 year old son as we celebrated his graduation from Cal Poly University. Pat and his Shop Manager Dave put together all the gear we would need for our 3 day trip, all of it top notch.

On our first day we were teamed with Guide Bob and we wade/walk fished the Gallatin River. Bob was extremely calm, experienced, knowledgeable, an incredible instructor, and just down right fun to be with. He took rookies like us, put us on both Rainbow and Cut-bow trout, and made us feel like experienced pros. The down side, the lunch he provided was too good. I wanted a nap after that feast.

Mike and Aaron guided us for the next 2 days of float fishing down the Madison River. WOW!!!! Those two men were incredibly skilled at navigating the river, putting us in all the right spots, and choosing which flies to use. They turned us in to fish catching machines. We all caught many Rainbows, Browns, and Whitefish in the 16"-20" range on both wet and dry flies. My wife topped us all with her 20" Brown Trout fatty. These guys rowed their boats for a solid 6 hours straight, stopping only set up a table and chairs to serve us a gourmet lunch. Incredible food, majestic scenery, never ending fish stories; perfection. Again, the only downside, too much good food.

At the end of our trip Pat and Dave put together an incredible bundle of gear and equipment so that we could continue our experience back home in the Sierras. Name brand gear at Bass Pro Shop prices. What a deal they gave us. Make sure you take a few minutes to watch them feed the trout in their private pond. 30" plus Browns. What a sight...

Local knowledge, incredible guide skills, wonderful people skills; they are the best. Our first trip to Montana and we walked away with great fish stories and better yet, trophy friends.