We spent 4 days, 3 nights at Lone Mountain Ranch in August of 2012. We were there to fish and to fish only.
The fishing manager set us up with the perfect guide: Rick Reed. If you're fishing through LMR you want Rick as your guide. Not only is he an excellent fisherman and full of insightful tips he also respects the art of fly-fishing and the need of his clients. Being dawn to dusk fisherman Rick had us on the water at a minimum of 8 hours a day. This does not include the 6 hour round trip commute. He gave us 14 hours of his day - good luck finding that anywhere else... This is no easy feat! We never felt rushed nor did Rick ever give the sense his job was simply punching the clock. He hooked us into large browns, rainbows and cutthroats. Again... if you're going to LMR, fish with Rick!
As for the lodge... they quickly accomodated me with a mountain bike on our off day, fed us well, and were extremely friendly. The cabins were rustic and normal per lodges in the area. The waitstaff was friendly and knowledgeable. Food was excellent. Bar was stocked.
Note that Yellowstone proper is quite a drive from the lodge. However the property and surrounding National Forests can do the trick for the hiker as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A historic year-round guest ranch located in Big Sky, Montana, only 45 minutes from Bozeman and on the doorstep of Yellowstone Park and Big Sky Resort. Lone Mountain Ranch is an ORVIS endorsed lodge, a member of the National Dude Ranchers' Association, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and once voted #1 Nordic Ski Resort in North America. Guests of Lone Mountain have an incredible array of options from which to choose; phenomenal cabin lodging, private homes, "Mountain Bistro" dining, guided fly fishing, horseback riding, tours of Yellowstone National Park, downhill skiing and dnowboarding at Big Sky Resort, over 85 km of Nordic Skiing, and much more. Our dining room and saloon is open to the public for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not to be forgotten, our sleigh ride dinner in the winter season is often cited as one of the best in the country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity so you can book your Lone Mountain Guest Ranch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lone Mountain Guest Ranch Hotel Big Sky
- Lone Mountain Guest Ranch Big Sky, Montana