“Fly-fishing at LMR” 5 of 5 stars

Fall Getaway
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Fly-fishing at LMR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We spent 4 days, 3 nights at Lone Mountain Ranch in August of 2012. We were there to fish and to fish only.

The fishing manager set us up with the perfect guide: Rick Reed. If you're fishing through LMR you want Rick as your guide. Not only is he an excellent fisherman and full of insightful tips he also respects the art of fly-fishing and the need of his clients. Being dawn to dusk fisherman Rick had us on the water at a minimum of 8 hours a day. This does not include the 6 hour round trip commute. He gave us 14 hours of his day - good luck finding that anywhere else... This is no easy feat! We never felt rushed nor did Rick ever give the sense his job was simply punching the clock. He hooked us into large browns, rainbows and cutthroats. Again... if you're going to LMR, fish with Rick!

As for the lodge... they quickly accomodated me with a mountain bike on our off day, fed us well, and were extremely friendly. The cabins were rustic and normal per lodges in the area. The waitstaff was friendly and knowledgeable. Food was excellent. Bar was stocked.

Note that Yellowstone proper is quite a drive from the lodge. However the property and surrounding National Forests can do the trick for the hiker as well.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I spent a week at Lone Mountain Ranch for the second time. As a 20 year old architecture student and overall city lover coming to LMR with my family seemed a little scary. I am not exactly the most adventurous outdoorsy person and had gone 4 years prior as an angsty teenager (I actually did enjoy myself too on that vacation even though I opted out of the youth program and only participated in horseback riding). This time I embraced LMR fulling. I went mountain biking, tons of horseback riding, zip-lining, high ropes course, hiking, yoga, yellowstone day trip, and fly-fishing. I had an absolute blast. The staff at LMR caters to your every need and will make new activities to fit with your schedule if you request! The ranch had recently changed managers and the new couple who was managing the resort are absolutely delightful. The wife, Karen, walked around breakfast, lunch, and dinner pouring water and talking about what we were doing that day. She was so hospitable and sweet. The food is phenomenal. They have a basic menu for the week with a few specials each day. The chefs will cook food specially for you if you have a request! They will make things specially to your dietary needs. The horseback riding was wonderful. They try and keep you with one horse for the whole week so you "bond". If you are comfortable and can handle 6 hours on a horse do a lunch ride! They take you to the most amazing places. All the staff is amazing and will help you in any way. Our group was particularly taken by the naturalist Andrea who knew so many things and was so friendly we even invited her to dinner one night at LMR. If you happen to go there, ask her about her dog Darwin! She might let you meet him! I fully recommend going to Lone Mountain Ranch. They will make anything happen if you ask. They are all incredibly friendly and the Lodges are beautiful and rustic. My family will definitely be coming back in future years. Everything is A+!

Room Tip: I have stayed in the smaller cabins near the dining room as well as the large ridgetop lodge. The s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

There were 5 adults and 3 childrren---my husband flyfished all week with a wonderful guide. The grandchildren could not believe the OYA (youth activities) available, from the ropes course, archery, and lots of riding. The highpoint of the week was the kids' rodeo on Sat. What the wranglers managed to put together with the kids was truly amazing! The 5 year old could participate and did not seem to mind that her horse was being led. The 13 year old did a back-packing overnight! The trip to Yellowstone Park was wonderful...lots of bison, some elk and a bear!! The adults loved the riding, hiking and canoeing. Nikki's massages were very popular with all of us. It was our third trip, but first one with the whole family. Before, we went for the fishing. Food was great, and I continue to love the cabins. The staff went out of their way for everyone...especially the dining staff, for our four vegetarians.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I spent a week at the ranch snowshoeing in late February 2012; it was incredible! I had mailed my equipment to the ranch prior to my arrival; it was waiting for me in my cabin. On my departure, I left it in my cabin and they mailed it back to my home. My cabin (Bald Eagle) was rustic, very comfortable and very welcoming. I arrived at the ranch late and was escorted to my cabin where the fireplace had been prepped for me with firewood and fire starter. The dining room and bar were equally rustic, comfortable and well-appointed. Meals were incredible...trout, bison, elk, local beef, etc...! If I was going to be out all day, I was able to pack a lunch at breakfast. The staff was very accommodating and genuine. I cannot imagine it getting any better than this.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

The staff could not be better. From the General Manager to the Wranglers they are all exceptional people who do an exceptional job making a guests stay a wonderful experience. This was our first stay at Lone Mtn. Ranch, but it will not be our last. Also, the children's program, OYA, is OUTSTANDING! Our children all cried all the way to Bozeman when they had to leave.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Lone Mountain Ranch has been an escape for 3 generations of our family. First visited by my parents who cross-country skied for many winters, my own family, including our two young (and active) boys have skied both at the great trails through the mountains around the Ranch, in Yellowstone Park, and downhilled/snowboarded at nearby Big Sky Resort. The food has always been wonderful, the western saloon and music are great and the sleigh-ride up to the North Fork cabin is a must. This June, my 10-year old and I came for a summer visit and had a blast this time as well. White water rafting, trail rides, rope course, zip line at Big Sky and fly fishing. The cabins were surprisingly cool in the early summer heat. Highly recommended for families and for couples too. Winter and Summer activities for the kids, when they need a break from the parents (or vice versa) are numerous and fun – great staff.

Room Tip: Depends on how much exercise you want. Doug Fir and the Hilltop are a 5 minute walk from the main l...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bedford, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

We have just returned from our 15th year at LMR. We originally came for the snow and the best cross country ski trails and SNOW anywhere. Now LMR continues to offer great reliable snow conditions and trails, but in addition, gourmet meals cooked to your liking and a welcoming environment that encourages conversation. There is nothing that the friendly, competent staff will not do for a guest. You are made to feel like a member of the family. Speaking of families, our adult son and his wife often join us here enjoying the skiing and companionship of the guests. While we do not take advantage of the nearby down hill ski area (Big Sky), it is easy to get to and totally without crowds. Yellowstone and back country ski tours are another high light of the vacation. Awe inspiring does not do credit to cross country skiing up to Old Faithful and having this natural wonder almost to yourself.

Room Tip: Rooms are individual log cabins nestled in the woods, some duplexes and some with sitting areas,many...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lone Mountain Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!