“Clean but way overpriced for what you get” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Thronson's General Store and Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Babb
Thronson's General Store and Motel
You added Thronson's General Store and Motel to your Saves list
89, Babb, MT 59411   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Babb
Los Angeles, CA
“Clean but way overpriced for what you get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Considering this is pretty much the only place to stay in Babb, unless you want to drive to another town, you're stuck with Thronson's. The nearest town isn't far, by the way, but Babb is very close to the fabulous Many Glacier entrance to Glacier Nat'l Park, which is how I'm guessing Babb stays in business.

The rooms are very simple. For almost $90 a night in Montana, I expected a little more than what we got. We had one with a queen bed, so it was pretty spacious, I suppose. Our TV got 3 static-filled Canadian channels that we flipped through without a remote (not that the TV is very far from anything else in the room). The "closet" wasn't really a closet, and the bathroom, though clean, comprised of toilet, sink, and a metal shower enclosure. The water pressure wasn't bad, but bring your own amenities, as I think they only give you soap. There is no hair dryer or shaver, either. If you want A/C, they leave you a portable floor fan in the "closet" for your convenience.

The motel is right on the road, so you will hear lots of trucks, motorcycles, and other guests opening & closing their doors and walking around. There are no deadbolts on the doors, and although I didn't feel unsafe, I wouldn't leave anything in the room you'd really miss if it wandered away.

The general store is nice, and the people working there are helpful and friendly. The diner across the street serves cheap, good food, but if you are looking to stuff yourself silly and drain a little more from your wallet, the Cattle Baron Supper Club down the street will bust your guts with some of the largest steaks I've ever seen.

All in all, the motel is clean and provides a bed, but is way overpriced for what you actually get. I would suggest trying St. Mary or another town to see what their rates are like.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at Thronson's motel and a great trip to Glacier National Park. Thronson's is located in Babb, at the entrance to my favorite part of Glacier-- Many Glacier. It's location makes it perfect for exploring the many hikes and trails that begin at the Many Glacier Campground. While it is no match for the elegance and grandeur of the magestic hotels within the park, they cannot even begin to compete with Thronson's price. We had a two bedroom suite with a kitchenette for $100 a night. The real reason we went to Glacier was to see the park, Thronson's was a convenient place to spend a comfortable night's rest nefore we started up another breath-taking hike in the park. I love the old historic hotels in the park--when you are in the park, stop by and admire their wonderful architecture--then spend the night at Thronson's.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I see some other reviews talking about how this quaint hotel is a "time warp" , well, that may be true, if by time warp you mean that the staff is friendly and courteous like hotel people used to be 50 years ago. The rooms are big, clean, and quiet. No, they are not stylish like the "W" hotel in Boston, but perhaps if you need to sleep in a styilish hotel, a vacation of hiking , climbing and kayaking isn't really for you in the first place. This hotel is a good choice for those who need a clean place to crash, recharge the batteries and watch a little Canadian Rodeo on the TV after a long day of enjoying the great outdoors. 106 a night is BY FAR the best price you'll find anywhere, the Many Glacier Hotel only had rooms left for 350 a night when I tried to check in. There is a well stocked general store attached to the hotel, and it is minutes from the Many Glacier entrance and from the East Glacier entrance to the park.
The only Wifi is in the General Store, but there is a bench out front you can sit on and check your e-mail and update your Facebook status to read: GLACIER NATIONAL PARK IS SO AWESOME!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

Thronson's Motel is a quaint, modest hotel with good sized, clean and comfortable rooms. Our room had two comfortable queen beds and a small refrigerator. The bathroom area was large enough for four women to share. The staff is very friendly and hardworking. The General Store has supplies for all your needs and the Antique Store right next to the General Store adds to the experience. I found some great bargains there! Across the street is a quaint diner with delicious, homemade food. Location is very convenient to Glacier National Park and Waterton Peace Park in Canada. If you want to a peaceful step back in time, but still have all the necessary conveniences of today, this is the place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

At $100 a night, it is rather expensive for what you get. The rooms are clean-no concerns there. But it is one step above camping. The blinds were broken, tons of flies in the room and you are on the main highway so expect highway noise all night long. There are no phones in the room-it is my understanding that Verizon is the only carrier with service out of the park here.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Cleveland OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

We thought, from previous TripAdvisor reviews and based on Thronsen's location, that this place would be perfect. However, one look at the outside - and then the inside of the rooms changed all that. We had originally planned to stay 3 nights, but immediately cancelled our reservations. This place is in a time warp - it feels like you are in a motel room right out of the 40's. The room felt somewhat clean, but the bed had a dip in the middle, nothing in the room matched, there were only 3 channels on the TV, and the shower was totally unacceptable.... Moreover, the hotel sits feet back from a very busy highway, and there isn't anywhere to eat nearby. Amazingly, these rooms cost $80 or more! We drove to East Glacier and easily found a nicer, cheaper place to stay with many choices of places to eat, and close accessibility to the Park. Thronsen's needs a complete overhaul.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Ft. Worth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

I booked this motel for three nights based on the Trip Advisor reviews and wish I had stayed somewhere else. I can't understand how my view is so different. We staed in #11 for three nights. We were charged fror two beds even though we only wanted one, Ok I understand that is the practice there. But the room is not what I would consider a $29.00 room in other places. We paid $93 a night. It was clean and the bed was just OK. Pillows were flat, flat, flat. The TV has 3, count them, 3 channels, 2 of those fuzzy and shifted everytime a truck went by. Not to mention the fact the TV was on a small table so small you could not see the TV without sitting up in bed. If you laid down, half the TV would disappear below the bed.No Internet. No deadbolt, chain, or other lock, just the little twist knob lock. Plactic shower enclosure, no tub.

I must be too uppity. When we are on vacation we stay in Quality Inns, Confort Inns, Best Westerns, etc and in some cases Econo Lodge, Super 8 and even in some Motel 6's when nothing else is available.
This place does not measure up to the worse Motel 6 I have ever stayed in. It is OK if you are on the road and just need bed of any kind.

You ask, if you were so dissatisfied, why didn't you ask for your money back after the first night and move. Well, I considered that, but since I had no internet, (nothing on that side of Glacier was working) and we had limited time in the park to begin with, the time it would have taken to find another motel would have taken valuable time away from our time in the park.

If I were going again, I would look to any number of lodges, cabins, and motel rooms that we saw available as we drove by such as the Bear Lodge, Red Eagle Motel, and Great Bear Lodge. You might also consider some of the little motels and hotels in the village of Waterton, in the Canadian side of the park. It has a really cute little village and lots of places to stay.

Also if you are the least bit large, sitting on a toilet where the edge of the seat is against the wall on one side and 18 inches from the other wall may require a shift in positioning. But it was clean.

Ok, Ok, I survived, but I was not happy because the quality of the room was not worth the money. Besides, next time I check into an Econo Lodge, Momma will think I splurged!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Thronson's General Store and Motel? Share your experiences!