“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Saint George

The Saint George
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Weston
The Saint George
500 Main St, Weston, MO 64098   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Weston
Columbia, MO
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Well, I didn't actually stay here but we were supposed to. We had reservations in two of the suites for a Thursday and Friday night for my sister's wedding. We also had all of our families staying here also. When we checked in the owner told us about how the hotel was booked every weekend and how busy they were. Well, I don't see how that is possible. When we walked into the most expensive room in the hotel, that we had reserved for two nights, it was filthy. There was visible dirt and trash on the floor. There was a hairpin on the floor. There was visible dust on the shelves, tv, and other furniture. There was food caked on the outside of the refrigerator and on the tablecloth. The other suite that we had booked had a fake fingernail on the floor as well as being equally as dirty. We told the manager who proceeded to come upstairs and vaccum himself with a broken vaccum that just blew dirt around instead of sucking it up. At this point the bride decided that paying $200+ night for a rooms that are filthy upon check-in wasn't the vision she had for her wedding. So she informed the manager that we would not be staying there. He was extremely rude and defensive. The fact that the owner was the only person on staff was somewhat alarming. While he was attempting to clean our room there was no one at the front desk or the store next door. This hotel is a valuable institution for Weson. The location is great. It is too bad that it is not under better management. If you are going to Weson try a B&B instead.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

Ugh, where do I begin. This was my wife and mine's first visit to Weston and we decided to book a room at St Georges due to it's location. And that's what you are going to get, is just location. Other than that, the prices are really overpriced for what you get.

First off, you have paper thin walls and you hear everything that goes on. Be warned, if you are a light sleeper, you will not sleep. We constantly heard the neighbors above us and in the hallways. We almost left at 2 in the morning due to not being able to sleep. You can even hear the conversations, just as the neighbors can hear your conversations.

As mentioned in many other reviews, the bottom sheet came off and was impossible to keep on. The bed spread had a mysterious stain on it as well.

Lack of amenities. No breakfast, no coffee, a half open and used bottle of lotion (eww), a 1980's telephone. Also, no front desk coverage after around 8.

Overall, when you have B & Bs all over the area, I would use this as a last resort. There is nothing at all special about the place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

From the moment we arrived in Weston and the charming St George Hotel, we felt at home. Since this was our first time to Weston, I cannot attest to what the conditions/amenities, service were like at the St. George prior to the new owners renovation. I can say that after meeting with the new owners and spending quite a bit of time chatting about their venture, it is obvious that they passionately believe in what they are doing. They have tenderly restored a spectacular piece of history, and recreated several specialty shops within. We spent several hours in the "Valentino" Lounge listening to a terrific 7pc "Dixieland-style" band that were fabulous! Our dinner was great at Charlamagne's, the service impeccable, and our dinner music (accordianist) was spot-on with every number he presented. It is fair to assume that the hotel is still a work-in-progress, yet every question we had was expertly and willingly answered to our satisfaction. Never did we feel like we were a bother ... everyone had great stories to tell, all very entertaining. As small business owners in a small town, we know how hard it is to deal with the overhead and general upkeep of an historic building. The new owners have lovingly restored a gem. Not for the big bucks, mind you, but because they have a passion for history and beauty. Kudo's for all your hard work!! We hope that more good things are heading your way. Thing I would change if I could: A/C had difficulty in stabilizing the temperature of the room - one moment very cold, next moment pretty warm. Bed had no mattress pad and we had difficulty keeping the sheet on. Pillows were not very comfortable. Overall, we had a great time and we will be back ... with future customers for the St. George.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our 10th anniversary last year. I did find mixed reviews prior to our stay. Trying to stay positive, I hoped the review stating, "The hotel had really improved due to new management.", was accurate. We stayed in the suite with a corner hot tub. The room was very spacious and clean. Unfortunately, it was sparse, with poor lighting and NO COFFEE MAKER! We enjoy our coffee and when we pay over $100 a night, we want coffee. They explained it was too messy to have coffee in the rooms. If so, maybe complimentary coffee downstairs is a thought. Basically, do not expect any extras or to be pampered. A few small accommodations could have been made to make us want to return. We are planning to visit Weston again this year and are staying at a B&B. I do not recommend this hotel for the price.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Oskaloosa, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

You can't beat the location of the St George Hotel. It is smack in the center of charming downtown Weston and within easy walking distance to all downtown shops and O'Malley's restaurant & pub. This is a historic hotel and I greatly appreciate the charming restoration efforts the hotel owners have done on this beautiful building. The restored public areas and rooms are very attractive. Hotel staff also very friendly.
I only wish the rooms were equally comfortable. Most rooms offer only 1 queen bed and not much else in the way of amenities. My husband described the room as "Spartan". I wanted to read while my husband slept, but there was no way to read comfortably. The room was small and consisted of only a queen mattress on a bed frame (no headboard); a small bedside table wedged between the bed and wall with a clock and small lamp; a TV with 10 channels (including shopping channels) in a large cabinet; a small side table with small lamp in another tight space; and a single straight wooden chair. The decorating and colors, however, were attractive and the room was sparkling clean.
Bathroom had new fixtures with nice historic flair, including roomy shower and beautiful pedastal sink plus hair dryer. The tiny shelf to place toiletries also offered 1 bar of soap, shampoo & lotion, no tissues. Not much space to place anything, so we piled our coats & other things upon the single wood chair. There was also 1 luggage rack.
Strangely, we had a constant problem throughout the night keeping the bottom sheet on the bed. We got up several times to replace the sheet. Perhaps it was our continual tossing, since the bed looked comfortable but was very soft and gave us both a backache. The 2 pillows also not very comfortable. Perhaps all investment went into building restoration, leaving little for comfortable furnishings in the rooms. Our room would best accommodate a single traveler. I would not recommend it for 2 persons. Desk staff said our room was frequently requested, so it must be one of the best at the basic price level. The large windows provided a beautiful view overlooking Main Street and our second floor room was quiet. Since there was not much to do, we entertained ourselves by studying how the small room could be turned into a more comfortable space for guests.
Would I stay here again? Yes, but only if I were traveling alone, could have the bed & small room to myself and if all the B&Bs were full. I don't think I could get my husband to stay there again. At $100 for a weekend night plus tax, I felt it was a bit pricey for the small room with lack of amenities and no breakfast. When I went to the adjoining snack shop to purchase a cup of coffee, I was told coffee was free for guests, but there was no mention of this in our room or at check in. Our breakfast in the adjoining restaurant was very good, but it added $20 with tax & gratuity to the cost of our stay. Perhaps experiencing a piece of history is worth the price for some people.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

We were in Weston to wine, dine, and shop. No B&Bs were available, so STG was by default.

THE GOOD: Room was clean and pest free. Staff was cheerful and friendly. Elevator was roomy. Bathroom had everything we needed in a bathroom. Plenty of pillows. Thermostat kept the room as cool as we like. Cable TV. Free wi-fi.
THE BAD: Bed sheets refused to stay on the bed during the night. Poor lighting in the living area. No frig nor mini-bar in room. Night stand on one side of bed only. Painfully slow wi-fi. Room void of tissues.

The living area had two lamps with 25 watt bulbs. The effect was a candle-lit room. Maybe that is charming. We couldn't find anything in the living area. The closet area had absolutely no lighting. So, we stacked our possessions in the entry, which was lighted.

I travel with insulin which must be kept refrigerated. This meant trips to the ice machine twice-a-day to keep my baggie loaded. Ice is on the first floor.

We were on the third floor, so that MIGHT explain the slow wi-fi, but I honestly did not experience better wireless on the 1st floor. And when I say slow, I mean painfully slow. I expected much better from Time-Warner.

The hotel offered a restaurant and bar. We did not sample either. Parking is on the street - but it is Weston. So, no worries.

Overall, I'll make every effort to stay at a B&B next time. Given nothing else was available in Weston, we certainly could have done worse than the St. G.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Weston, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

My wife and I got married last year in September and didn't realize it just happened to be NASCAR weekend in Kansas City. Not being NASCAR fans ourselves, we didn't realize that this meant that EVERY hotel in Kansas City was pretty much booked for that weekend.
What a relief it was to find the St. George Hotel!!!
We booked 20 rooms for our family, got a group discount, and heard nothing but wonderful things from our relatives about their stay there! What a great way for them to be able to share an experience with each other staying in an antebellem hotel on the most beautiful Main Street in Missouri!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family

Been to The Saint George? Share your experiences!